Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United 787-9 (non-Polaris seat)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 3, 2016, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
General consensus: In United Polaris business Cabin, 1D and 6D/E are the best seats on this plane due to the giant footrest area and direct aisle access without anyone having to step over you to get to the aisle. 1E is very close to the forward lav, however.
For further details, see poster #1 and also 787-8 thread. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1394369-everything-you-want-know-about-where-sit-united-dreamliner-787-8-a.html
UA 787-9 link

Fixed bassinets available at 6AB, 6KL, 16ABC, 16DEF, 16JKL, 29DEF

related thread - Everything You Want to Know about Where to Sit on the 789 true Polaris and PP version
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United 787-9 (non-Polaris seat)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I prefer 6D over 6E for the following reasons:
  • 6E (also 4E on the 788) look into the galley and there is a bright ceiling light above door 2R can be on often during the redeye flight. it bothers you when you watch the inflight entertainment or working on the computer or reading.
  • 6D (also 4E on the 788) is closer to the larger lavatory next to 2L
  • 6D provides quicker exit out the plane
  • If in 6E, the person in 6D can look at what you are doing on the computer or see what you are doing because the angle of the seat.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
With losing the 1 FA, are the cabins still split 1-4 and 5-8? I want to make sure I am not stuck with the worst option for food on a 14 hour flight.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:14 pm

I'm personally not a fan of Row 6 at all. It's quite loud due to engine noise and if you don't have noise cancelling headphones, watching movies with the stock headphones means you have to crank the volume quite loud to make out dialogue especially if the movie lacks subtitles (some older films). I'm booked on 6A for my next trip, but will gladly trade it for any forward cabin window seat. Row 6 is fine if I'm just going to knock out but if I'm going to be up I really appreciate less noise. Footwells don't matter that much for me. I can sleep like a baby on the plane anyway.

On a side note, for those SFO based flyers, I'm a huge sucker for views of the city.

drewguy likes this.

Last edited by Wise-Broccoli8301; Apr 18, 2019 at 6:23 pm
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:41 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dmo580
I'm personally not a fan of Row 6 at all. It's quite loud due to engine noise and if you don't have noise cancelling headphones, watching movies with the stock headphones means you have to crank the volume quite loud to make out dialogue especially if the movie lacks subtitles (some older films). I'm booked on 6A for my next trip, but will gladly trade it for any forward cabin window seat. Row 6 is fine if I'm just going to knock out but if I'm going to be up I really appreciate less noise. Footwells don't matter that much for me. I can sleep like a baby on the plane anyway.
I'm a fan of row 6, but I've tried a bunch of other seats as well. I find the forward galley to be much noisier than the middle galley. So even if there's less engine noise in the front rows, I find it more disturbing.
Kacee likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by kevtux
Hi everyone. My wife and I are packing our bags for our trip to the USA mid April. We're flying on UA99 from MEL to LAX .Unfortunately our tickets are non upgradeable, so we'll be limited to Y. Am told my Premier Platinum status doesn't make a difference.

Be that as it may, would like to poll the experts on the panel on which seats are best in E+. We are currently in 20K and J, and 16L and K on the return UA98 flight. What would be your recommendations?

Thanks!

Kev
I think the main thing that this thread reinforces is that seat preferences are subjective. I used to go for 18A or 18L, but then I discovered row 24. My favorite seat is 24L with 24A coming in second. Row 24 seems to fill slowly, so on 1 out of 6 legs, I end up with a row to myself. I sleep very well in 24L.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
I'm a fan of row 6, but I've tried a bunch of other seats as well. I find the forward galley to be much noisier than the middle galley. So even if there's less engine noise in the front rows, I find it more disturbing.
100% agree. I'll take white noise over galley noise or loud passengers every time.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 4:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, mLife Platinum
We're currently in 6A/B for a forthcoming flight. Used to choose these all the time, but have started to explore other seats due to galley light/noise.
However, I still think this is a better choice than 7A/B, being 1 row further from Y.

Would you go row 6 or 7 in this case?
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skycrab
We're currently in 6A/B for a forthcoming flight. Used to choose these all the time, but have started to explore other seats due to galley light/noise.
However, I still think this is a better choice than 7A/B, being 1 row further from Y.

I don't feel the one row of closer proximity to Y makes 7 perceptibly worse than 6. However, I also am rarely bothered by galley noise as I often have earplugs or headphones on gate to gate, nor by galley light as I sleep with an eyemask.

So with all those caveats stated, I would choose row 6.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by skycrab
Most everyone here would choose row 6 for the footwells. If the galley light/noise bother you in A/B, try 6D/E. I've never had an issue with it in those seats (and I'm sensitive).
Old Apr 29, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, mLife Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
Most everyone here would choose row 6 for the footwells. If the galley light/noise bother you in A/B, try 6D/E. I've never had an issue with it in those seats (and I'm sensitive).
That's why I choose row 6 (usually). My partner has recently been finding the light distracting on overnight flights, but in this case it's a daytime one, so I think we'll keep them.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:47 am

Hi, I am flying UA1 from SFO to SIN in July. So, 27A/L have good leg room, but I have read conflicting info as to whether these seats recline. The United site says the 27A/L seats have limited/no recline. Up charge for these seats are $29, so not bad. But I would hate to be stuck in a limited/no recline seat for 16+ hours. Can anyone confirm if these seats recline? If they do, do they recline as much as the seats next to them (27B or K that are priced as Economy Plus)? TIA.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: UA/Premier 1K, Bonvoy/Titanium
Originally Posted by bay_blade2000
Hi, I am flying UA1 from SFO to SIN in July. So, 27A/L have good leg room, but I have read conflicting info as to whether these seats recline. The United site says the 27A/L seats have limited/no recline. Up charge for these seats are $29, so not bad. But I would hate to be stuck in a limited/no recline seat for 16+ hours. Can anyone confirm if these seats recline? If they do, do they recline as much as the seats next to them (27B or K that are priced as Economy Plus)? TIA.
27A/L both recline, but are not classified as Economy+ because the exit slide protrudes somewhat into your legspace. This is likely the best non Economy+ seat on the plane. It used to be available for complimentary assignment, but the US$29 was likely introduced along with "preferred" non-Economy+ seating.

I used to sit in these two seats before getting status on UA and would certainly pick them for US$29
Old Apr 29, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
This!
I'm usually a window guy. But, on this plane, 6D or 6E are the hands-down winners for me. Minimal traffic, minimal galley noise, nice hum of engines and comfy footwells. Row 6 over 7 any day. And mid-galley noise over front galley noise any other day.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: UA:MM 1K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Plat
Me too. 6D is really my favorite on this plane.
​​
Old Apr 30, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by expressboy
Me too. 6D is really my favorite on this plane.
​​
I love 6D&E, with a slight lean toward 6E. The only thing I am concerned about is the recent loss of a FA at mid-cabin. On my only flight since the change, the meal service was waaaaay slow, with the FA's serving row 1 thru 8 in order. Is this a one-off or are others still seeing this "change of pace" now that the FA number has been in place for a little while? TIA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.