Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United 787-9 (non-Polaris seat)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 3, 2016, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
General consensus: In United Polaris business Cabin, 1D and 6D/E are the best seats on this plane due to the giant footrest area and direct aisle access without anyone having to step over you to get to the aisle. 1E is very close to the forward lav, however.
For further details, see poster #1 and also 787-8 thread. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1394369-everything-you-want-know-about-where-sit-united-dreamliner-787-8-a.html
UA 787-9 link

Fixed bassinets available at 6AB, 6KL, 16ABC, 16DEF, 16JKL, 29DEF

related thread - Everything You Want to Know about Where to Sit on the 789 true Polaris and PP version
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United 787-9 (non-Polaris seat)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2019, 6:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Woodsy3228
Basically is it worth the risk of booking those seats for the potential extra leg room but also maybe getting booted or having a screaming baby 2ft away for 14 hours.
It's low risk, but it is still a risk.

You could also get a screaming baby next to you anywhere else in the cabin.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's low risk, but it is still a risk.

You could also get a screaming baby next to you anywhere else in the cabin.
+1. First off, 16DE are not selectable and have to be requested before T-24, so the bassinets go there first (or second - I've seen them more in Row 27). Second, a lot of parents book in E- not E+, so less likely to get babies.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 10:21 pm

In the seat-selector for Polaris, the seats in the first 2 rows say "Added comfort and privacy", but Rows 3-8 don't mention this. Is there actually a difference? I'm assuming this is just a typo/omission of verbiage that also applies in Rows 3-8. (???)

Sample text upon hovering over a seat in rows 1-2:

Sample text for hovering over a seat in rows 3-8:
Old Jun 8, 2019, 10:23 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by msmoxie
In the seat-selector for Polaris, the seats in the first 2 rows say "Added comfort and privacy", but Rows 3-8 don't mention this. Is there actually a difference?
No, it's complete nonsense. The best information on 789 seating is in the wiki.
msmoxie likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by msmoxie
In the seat-selector for Polaris, the seats in the first 2 rows say "Added comfort and privacy", but Rows 3-8 don't mention this. Is there actually a difference? I'm assuming this is just a typo/omission of verbiage that also applies in Rows 3-8. (???)
Just found this thread which also addresses this question: New F seat descriptors? Soon for GS preselection only? IT error?
Old Jul 5, 2019, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
After many flights SYD-SFO in Polaris, I've settled on 6E as my favourite seat. I flew 6D a number of times before I discovered that 6E has an even bigger footwell than 6D. I need the bigger footwell for my mattress to fit.

I prefer row 6 to row 1 because the galley in front makes more noise. You do take the risk of the occasional baby crying in the back of the J cabin, or in the front of the Y cabin, but even when it happens, it's usually OK. The front galley bothers me more. And there's a bit more light around row 1 as well.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
After many flights SYD-SFO in Polaris, I've settled on 6E as my favourite seat. I flew 6D a number of times before I discovered that 6E has an even bigger footwell than 6D. I need the bigger footwell for my mattress to fit.

I prefer row 6 to row 1 because the galley in front makes more noise. You do take the risk of the occasional baby crying in the back of the J cabin, or in the front of the Y cabin, but even when it happens, it's usually OK. The front galley bothers me more. And there's a bit more light around row 1 as well.
Traveling solo, I also prefer 6E. I'd rather look at the aisle (6E) than my neighbor (6D).

Last edited by Kacee; Jul 5, 2019 at 11:09 pm Reason: D not A
Old Jul 5, 2019, 10:48 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
I wasn't a fan of having to keep my shoes under the seat/bed (6e) instead of having a small area off to the side between the seat and the aisle (6d.)

That's super nitpicky.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
Traveling solo, I also prefer 6E. I'd rather look at the aisle (6E) than my neighbor (6D).
I’d prefer no one is looking at me, especially when I am working on my computer.

My choice is 6D.
Kacee and msmoxie like this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 8:23 am

Economy on UA863 SFO-SYD

I fly UA863 from SFO-SYD in economy and we chose bulkhead seats 29D and 29E. For such a long flight, I was very happy that we did not have to deal with anybody leaning their seats back into us. I'm 6'1" and still had basically unlimited legroom, and it was nice to put my backpack on the ground in front of me as a footrest for most of the flight. The armrest between the D/E seat raises which is nice if you want a little more wiggle room and you're flying with a companion in the E seat. The lavs didn't bother me too much, as you basically have two rows to the left and the bulkhead wall in front of you between you and the lavs.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:26 am

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Perspective on 5K/L? Literally never sat in these despite many 789 flights. Does the closet block the toilet flush noise? It’s these or 6K remaining. My 6D/E gems are taken. I’ve done 6K before, but recall the Galley light and chatter a slight bother ... trying to decide trade off given I’m not tall and don’t need the square footwell as much. Many thanks for thoughts.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 1:17 pm

6D vs 6E. I remember one of the seats had a slightly mis-aligned foot well. Especially since the 787-9 seats seem to be slightly shorter than the 777 versions, is 6E more "straight on" vs 6D? One benefit of 6D is that you're closer to the larger bathroom...
Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
6A/1A/1L - What would be the preference for a ULH (UA 1). I need the large footwell, but don't want to give up my Window . Everyone talks about the proximity to Galley and Toilets. How much of a real interference is the galley noise for Row 1 vs Row 6 in a red-eye flight? And do the FA's gather in the middle galley for down-time or the front galley? Advice is appreciated
Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
6A/1A/1L - What would be the preference for a ULH (UA 1). I need the large footwell, but don't want to give up my Window . Everyone talks about the proximity to Galley and Toilets. How much of a real interference is the galley noise for Row 1 vs Row 6 in a red-eye flight? And do the FA's gather in the middle galley for down-time or the front galley? Advice is appreciated
1A, but I am not particularly sensitive to the galley. General consensus is 6A is slightly further away from the galley but I have had great sleep in 1A on several SFO-SYD and can't be bothered to have an engine blocking up my view

I had no issues in 1L either on an SFO-IAD overnight, but some complain about lav proximity since it does adjoin the 1R lav.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by shafu
6D vs 6E. I remember one of the seats had a slightly mis-aligned foot well. Especially since the 787-9 seats seem to be slightly shorter than the 777 versions, is 6E more "straight on" vs 6D? One benefit of 6D is that you're closer to the larger bathroom...
6D is slightly preferred because your neighbor cannot easily look at your screen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.