Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United 787-9 (non-Polaris seat)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 3, 2016, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
General consensus: In United Polaris business Cabin, 1D and 6D/E are the best seats on this plane due to the giant footrest area and direct aisle access without anyone having to step over you to get to the aisle. 1E is very close to the forward lav, however.
For further details, see poster #1 and also 787-8 thread. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1394369-everything-you-want-know-about-where-sit-united-dreamliner-787-8-a.html
UA 787-9 link

Fixed bassinets available at 6AB, 6KL, 16ABC, 16DEF, 16JKL, 29DEF

related thread - Everything You Want to Know about Where to Sit on the 789 true Polaris and PP version
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United 787-9 (non-Polaris seat)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2018, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
How sensitive are you to proximity issues? If 1D is available, I would go for that. If you are especially sensitive, I would also consider mid-cabin windows if they are available... 5 and 8 both have some drawbacks.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by findark
How sensitive are you to proximity issues? If 1D is available, I would go for that. If you are especially sensitive, I would also consider mid-cabin windows if they are available... 5 and 8 both have some drawbacks.
Sadly it's only 1E that's available, which I understand is the worse of the two. Any thoughts between 5 and 8?
Old Jul 12, 2018, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I have never done row 8 but I would consider it. When I flew 5A, I was not a huge fan of having my back to the lav, although at the end of the day I think basically any seat in the cabin is acceptable.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 4:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by AUSNYCflyer
Sadly it's only 1E that's available, which I understand is the worse of the two.
Terrible seat.

Pick something else and then keep checking the App obsessively for something better to open.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
I would avoid row 8 like the plague. Want to be near a crying child? That's your best chance. I'd go row 1 or 5.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Premier Gold, Krisflyer, Global Entry
Upgraded to Business again and this time I chose 8L. Much quieter than 6L and lot less ruckus from the galley. Thankfully there were no screaming kids in Economy Plus and it was a quiet flight. Though I never flown in Business in seats 1-5, I liked the back section of business as it's smaller and more cozy.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:06 am

Finally got 1L last night. Honestly I'm sick of Row 6. It's not that great. After my last flight back I've concluded to avoid it. I will take rows 2/3 if I can't get Row 1 over 6 because of the noise. The engine noise in 6 is so bad you can't hear with your headphones unless you crank it up real high.

I get people love big footwell, and it's nice to be able to put my backpack underneath, but it's not so bad in Rows 2 or 3. Noise doesn't bother me for sleep. I sleep like a baby anyway, but I think it's nice to have a quieter seat.

Also what's wrong with 1E? I fly 6D/E a lot and honestly 1D/E are a lot better for noise reasons once again. For my next trip I'm booking 1L again as I love flying out of SFO and catching a glimpse of the city and bridge.
kohswisscheese likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1E has a line of sight into the 1R lav, although I think it's sometimes bashed overmuch. 1L was a great seat when I flew in it.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dmo580
Also what's wrong with 1E?
Please do go ahead and take 1E every time, freeing up row 6 for others who appreciate the footwells and separation from the lavs.

I don't really understand engine noise complaints. It's an airplane. And it's white noise, which tends to drown out sleep disturbing noises like FA's in the galley and loud conversations.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Please do go ahead and take 1E every time, freeing up row 6 for others who appreciate the footwells and separation from the lavs.

I don't really understand engine noise complaints. It's an airplane. And it's white noise, which tends to drown out sleep disturbing noises like FA's in the galley and loud conversations.
I never noticed it until I tried to notice it. If just sitting and doing nothing, it is less pleasant to have more background from the engine. However, I wear earplugs or headphones for pretty much the entire flight, and I don't feel it's perceptibly better or worse front or rear cabin. In-cabin noises are a much bigger factor for my comfort.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by Kacee

Does 1E lack large footwells? I kinda forget as I've only been in that seat once. In that case I suppose 2-5 are all the same then? Just trying to understand why it's so terrible. To me 4A/L is the most terrible because you're stuck on the inside yet not even offered a window.

I'm not saying footwells aren't great, but for me I'm ok with the smaller footwell because I prefer to trade for noise / window view if there's something worth seeing. Also as explained about the noise, I sleep like a rock, but I think the issue was the engine noise was so bad it was hard to hear whatever movie I was watching last time without cranking the volume way up. It was a noticeable difference compared to sitting in the forward cabin.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 9:36 am

Does 1E lack large footwells?
It's about 6 feet from the door to the lav and looks straight at it.

Also as explained about the noise, I sleep like a rock, but I think the issue was the engine noise was so bad it was hard to hear whatever movie I was watching last time without cranking the volume way up. It was a noticeable difference compared to sitting in the forward cabin.
Bose QC35.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K
For a couple, morning departure UA100, 2DE or 6AB?

For the flight over, UA101, we have the choice of 1DE (current) and 6DE and I switched to 1 because of a recent report from a friend that the middle galley was way more crowded during flight than the front... plus I put my partner in 1E shhhhhh
Old Jul 22, 2018, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
For a couple, morning departure UA100, 2DE or 6AB?

For the flight over, UA101, we have the choice of 1DE (current) and 6DE and I switched to 1 because of a recent report from a friend that the middle galley was way more crowded during flight than the front... plus I put my partner in 1E shhhhhh
I would do 6AB all the way, but depends a lot on your opinions of climbing over each other. Doesn't bother me in the slightest, so a window plus bigger footwell is a win-win in my book.

6DE is generally considered superior to 1DE due to lav proximity issues. I think this also depends on your sensitivity to noise. I have never been bothered by galley chatter/noise (or even really able to notice it above the engines) on any plane, period, but others have different experiences. If galley noise is a huge concern, aim for Row 3.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Any recent reports regarding snack bar being set up at 6DE? I switched LAX<->MEL<->LAX to these seats based largely on the testimonials found throughout this thread. Then I noticed the post regarding this possibility, which I think I would find highly annoying. I will switch back to row 3 if this is a common occurrence (or is it not as bad as it sounds?).

Thanks much all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.