Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United 787-9 (non-Polaris seat)

Old Jul 3, 2016, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
General consensus: In United Polaris business Cabin, 1D and 6D/E are the best seats on this plane due to the giant footrest area and direct aisle access without anyone having to step over you to get to the aisle. 1E is very close to the forward lav, however.
For further details, see poster #1 and also 787-8 thread. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1394369-everything-you-want-know-about-where-sit-united-dreamliner-787-8-a.html
UA 787-9 link

Fixed bassinets available at 6AB, 6KL, 16ABC, 16DEF, 16JKL, 29DEF

related thread - Everything You Want to Know about Where to Sit on the 789 true Polaris and PP version
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United 787-9 (non-Polaris seat)

Old Jan 10, 2021, 1:52 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Just flew GRU-IAH in this layout sitting in 6E and found it to be a very comfortable flight. The bigger footwell was great, and my worry about there being noise or movement in the middle galley was not realized. Would choose this seat again. The only really annoying thing was the complete lack of storage in these seats.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 8, 2021, 10:34 am

Programs: AY+ Gold
What are the best window seats in Business with most privacy for solo traveling (787-9; 2-2-2)? Or should I switch my flight to Boeing 787-8 and take a solo seat? If 787-9 is more comfortable, I'd definitely choose that over privacy.

Last edited by jimaras08; May 8, 2021 at 11:23 am
Old May 29, 2021, 1:05 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
Seeking recomendations regarding the best seating choices for Polaris business class Dreamliner 787-9 with 2 (3 and 6 year old) kids and one competent adult mom. It seemed like two window and one center are the best choices. What do you recommend. What is Polaris business class service like these days?
Old May 29, 2021, 1:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ijkh
Seeking recomendations regarding the best seating choices for Polaris business class Dreamliner 787-9 with 2 (3 and 6 year old) kids and one competent adult mom. ...
Which 789 version? Are business class seats on the seatmap in orange (2-2-2 8 rows - first generation lie flat seats) or dark blue (1-2-1 12 rows with Premium Plus - true polaris seats)?
Old May 29, 2021, 1:14 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Which 789 version? Are business class seats on the seatmap in orange (2-2-2 8 rows - first generation lie flat seats) or dark blue (1-2-1 12 rows with Premium Plus - true polaris seats)?
It is 787-9 TLV-SFO looks like layout 1 per seat guru.

22 22 22
Old May 29, 2021, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ijkh
It is 787-9 TLV-SFO looks like layout 1 per seat guru.

22 22 22
Moved your post to the appropriate thread -- this config is more group / family friendly

However, depending on when this travel is, UA is converting the older config to the true Polaris seat and in the future this may be
Everything You Want to Know about Where to Sit on the 789 true Polaris and PP version which is less family friendly
Old May 29, 2021, 1:24 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Moved your post to the appropriate thread -- this config is more group / family friendly

However, depending on when this travel is, UA is converting the older config to the true Polaris seat and in the future this may be
Everything You Want to Know about Where to Sit on the 789 true Polaris and PP version which is less family friendly
Thank you! I select 6A 6B and 6D for my family.

Last edited by ijkh; May 29, 2021 at 6:18 pm Reason: update
Old Jun 16, 2021, 7:46 pm

Three of us (me, wife, and son) are traveling, and have a choice of 2ABD or 2EKL.
What are pros and cons of 2AB vs 2KL?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by raghu
Three of us (me, wife, and son) are traveling, and have a choice of 2ABD or 2EKL.
What are pros and cons of 2AB vs 2KL?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
The sun.

And potentially fractions of a minute during the meal service (KL may sometimes be faster).
artvandalay likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
The sun.

And potentially fractions of a minute during the meal service (KL may sometimes be faster).
Thanks.
Flying Delhi to Chicago, so which seats would be better to avoid the sun?
Also, I need good sleep and light/noise bother me. Is the lavatory on the right side a negative for 2KL?
Old Jun 17, 2021, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by raghu
... Flying Delhi to Chicago, so which seats would be better to avoid the sun? ....
Try SunFlight.net - Day and Night Flight Map
A little lacking on the user interface

Looks like the sun will be on the AB side

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 17, 2021 at 12:08 am
Old Jun 18, 2021, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Datapoint: 6L (bulkhead window in the rear J cabin) is my favorite seat on the non-Polaris 789. Was very pleased to see that when my aircraft yesterday was swapped to a Polaris-configured 789, my 6L was automatically moved to 9L (which is the comparable bulkhead window seat with larger footrest). Was worried it might just keep me in 6L (not an ideal seat in the Polaris configuration), but the system seems to be programed with some intelligence wrt comparable seats during aircraft swaps.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jul 28, 2021, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Looks like I’m going’s to be booking a trip to LHR in the next couple of weeks. From what I can’t tell they’re all 787-9s, no matter which flight I take to/from LHR (through SFO, IAH, and ORD, at least), right? Any idea if any of these have the new Polaris seating? Or are they only flying the old 2-2-2 configuration ex-LHR? I’d prefer to fly something other than the 2-2-2 configuration if I can avoid it, but still want to fly UA.

Thanks for the help!
Old Aug 10, 2021, 9:09 pm

Just got swapped from true Polaris to old (UA115, SFO-PPT, Aug 12). We're a couple traveling together, and I'm 6'2" with size 13 feet, so the bulkhead footwells are important to me. On the old True Polaris seat map we had 1A and 2A since we enjoy privacy and windows, and were happy to leave the center pairs to the honeymooners. Now that we're back in 2-2-2, we obviously would prefer to sit together than next to someone else. Available pairs together on the new seat map are 1AB, 1DE, 4DE, 4KL, 6AB, 6KL, 8AB, and 8KL. I've grabbed 1AB for now. Any compelling reason to swap to one of the other bulkhead pairs? This is a daytime flight, but we'll probably want to at least take a nap along the way.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by JeffJ
Just got swapped from true Polaris to old (UA115, SFO-PPT, Aug 12). We're a couple traveling together, and I'm 6'2" with size 13 feet, so the bulkhead footwells are important to me. On the old True Polaris seat map we had 1A and 2A since we enjoy privacy and windows, and were happy to leave the center pairs to the honeymooners. Now that we're back in 2-2-2, we obviously would prefer to sit together than next to someone else. Available pairs together on the new seat map are 1AB, 1DE, 4DE, 4KL, 6AB, 6KL, 8AB, and 8KL. I've grabbed 1AB for now. Any compelling reason to swap to one of the other bulkhead pairs? This is a daytime flight, but we'll probably want to at least take a nap along the way.
Speaking for myself and others may have different views.

I have been avoiding row 1 and settle for row 6 for the following reasons:

1. Crew rest entrance is near 1 AB, so foot traffic is an issue for me
2. 1 DE has no overhead luggage bins (because of crew rest), so you either have store your luggage above 2 DE or 1AB. If you are sitting in 1AB, you my experience passengers from 1D open bins during the flight.
3. 1KL is next to lavatory and galley, so I avoid the altogether. That galley area and space in front of 1DE is a crew break area. If you want to rest, then beware the noise
4. same as 2 above, lack of luggage space on the 1E side

Beware that Row 4 has no windows.

Row 8 is in front of Economy cabin, so there will be lights and noises.

I would pick Row 6AB over Row 1AB but that is just personal preference to avoid crew rest traffic and lack of overhead bins in row 1.

If looking out of the window is not necessary and also if footrest size is not an issue, I have found my partner and I enjoy sitting in 4DE on multiple SIN-SFO-SIN flights. They are away from galleys at both ends and away from the lavatories. Row 4 has no windows, so no natural light to impair you watching inflight entertainment videos or bother you when you rest.

Again, others may have different experience and preference.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.