Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United 787-9

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 9, 18, 9:27 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
General consensus: In United Polaris business Cabin, 1D and 6D/E are the best seats on this plane due to the giant footrest area and direct aisle access without anyone having to step over you to get to the aisle. 1E is very close to the forward lav, however.
For further details, see poster #1 and also 787-8 thread. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...r-787-8-a.html
UA 787-9 link

Fixed bassinets available at 6AB, 6KL, 16ABC, 16DEF, 16JKL, 29DEF
Print Wikipost

Old May 4, 19, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond-HertzGold
2E

Which footwell does 2E have?
Old May 4, 19, 5:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by wunderpit View Post
Which footwell does 2E have?
The small one.
Old May 16, 19, 9:28 am

Programs: BA
I have a choice between 2L and 8A on my route to Houston from London. Interested in people's preferences and pros and cons of the seats. Do you get much of a view from 8A or is the wing in the way?
Old May 16, 19, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1K
If you're choosing between these two window seats, I'd pick 2L for the quieter front cabin and quicker meal service. If you prefer to be further from a galley and lavatory (not that either is much of a factor in row 2), you could pick 8A, but that puts you closer to the Y bulkhead, if that's a factor for you.

I just flew LHR-IAH in 1K and might have been slightly annoyed by galley and lav noise/commotion on an overnight flight but had no issues with it on the daytime flight when I wanted to stay awake anyway.
Old May 16, 19, 9:42 am

Programs: BA
Fantastic thanks. I think I'll stick with 2L then
Old May 23, 19, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, Hertz President's Circle, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Spire, Hilton

After many years of redeeming miles for economy flights to Hawaii and Europe, my wife and I have taken the plunge into business class and will be headed to Australia next year for the first time.

Can anyone offer some advice on seating? These planes are 787-9 Dreamliners https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Un...htno=839&date= I've read online comments that seem to be all over the place: some like bulkhead, others hate it (I'm more in that camp), there's certain seats that seem to be better for legroom, but I'm vertically challenged so that's not a big concern. When all was said and done, I picked 3D & 3E because they're somewhat away from the galleys and the bathrooms, and also because in the 2-2-2 configuration, booking the center seats means neither of us have to climb over the other to go to the bathroom. Any thoughts anyone might have would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 23, 19 at 3:16 pm Reason: split post
Old May 23, 19, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by bob12403 View Post
3. Can anyone offer some advice on seating? These planes are 787-9 Dreamliners https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/United_Airlines/United_Airlines_Boeing_787-900.php?flightno=839&date= I've read online comments that seem to be all over the place: some like bulkhead, others hate it (I'm more in that camp), there's certain seats that seem to be better for legroom, but I'm vertically challenged so that's not a big concern. When all was said and done, I picked 3D & 3E because they're somewhat away from the galleys and the bathrooms, and also because in the 2-2-2 configuration, booking the center seats means neither of us have to climb over the other to go to the bathroom. Any thoughts anyone might have would be greatly appreciated.
Seat preferences in Business tend to be a matter of personal opinion. If you value aisle access over seeing outside, obviously the D/E block is where to go. Unless you are extremely sensitive to galley traffic, the FT consensus best seats on the 789 are 6D and 6E. The non-bulkhead seats all have tapered footwells which many find to be less comfortable than the wider bulkhead installation, but especially if you are relatively new to Business Class it's important to remember that these are all relatively minor quibbles and they are all fine seats (except 4A and 4L which lack windows).

The three times I've done this flight on a 789 have been in my favorite seat pair: 1A/B, but windows are a priority for me

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 23, 19 at 3:25 pm Reason: split post
Old May 23, 19, 3:23 pm

After many years of redeeming miles for economy flights to Hawaii and Europe, my wife and I have taken the plunge into business class and will be headed to Australia next year for the first time.

Can anyone offer some advice on seating? These planes are 787-9 Dreamliners https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Un...htno=839&date= I've read online comments that seem to be all over the place: some like bulkhead, others hate it (I'm more in that camp), there's certain seats that seem to be better for legroom, but I'm vertically challenged so that's not a big concern. When all was said and done, I picked 3D & 3E because they're somewhat away from the galleys and the bathrooms, and also because in the 2-2-2 configuration, booking the center seats means neither of us have to climb over the other to go to the bathroom. Any thoughts anyone might have would be greatly appreciated.
Personally I like Row 7. There is less foot traffic in the rear J cabin as the lavs are by the cockpit and near door 2. I like that over Row 8 as you get a little more noise from economy. Also, if you don't mind climbing over your wife you get great wing views from the row 7 window.
Old May 23, 19, 7:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
I've read online comments that seem to be all over the place: some like bulkhead, others hate it (I'm more in that camp), there's certain seats that seem to be better for legroom, but I'm vertically challenged so that's not a big concern.
You may be surprised. I'm 5-7 and find the non-bulkhead footwells quite restricting.

Wouldn't really say the comments are all over the place. Most of the long-term members here have a strong preference for certain seats, specifically the bulkheads, with the caveat that row 1 gets light and noise from the galley and lavs, particularly seat 1E.
Old May 23, 19, 7:22 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K 2MM
With the elimination of 1 mid galley FA in J, has the pace of the meal service improved at all since the initial cut? I flew 2 weeks after the cut and it was painfully slow. 6D/E are my favorite seats, but if I need to eat quickly and sleep, that might change if the service remains slow. Thoughts?
Old May 24, 19, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA 1k

As someone else said, if you are not habituated yet any of the seats will be great...

It's all subtle personal preferences. More foot space vs further from the galley. Smaller cabin vs further from engine noise.

If traveling alone I like 1 or 6D (I'm tall, so foot space). If traveling with my spouse then 6AB or 1KL.

If on a flight where I sleep then I like the smaller cabin slightly better and the left side slightly better (because I change into pajamas and the door 2 left lavatory is bigger, so it's convenient to have it nearby).

If I travel alone then 1D or 6D are nicer, to me it's more comfortable in D than E because of the seat slant.

Except for maybe row 5 then I find the lavatories to be plenty far from the seat. I don't mind the engine noise (noise cancelling headphones). Galley noise I don't like though, but it's rarely a problem on the 787's for me. ... All personal preferences, whichever seat you get it'll be fine. :-)
Old May 24, 19, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by bluedemon211 View Post
With the elimination of 1 mid galley FA in J, has the pace of the meal service improved at all since the initial cut? I flew 2 weeks after the cut and it was painfully slow. 6D/E are my favorite seats, but if I need to eat quickly and sleep, that might change if the service remains slow. Thoughts?
We had a flight in 6 and 7AB in early February and they were doing fine (the purser seemed like she was really on top of the crew though to make things work and it was a morning flight so we probably weren't super sensitive to how quick their service worked).
Old May 25, 19, 9:48 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by polarbears View Post
We had a flight in 6 and 7AB in early February and they were doing fine (the purser seemed like she was really on top of the crew though to make things work and it was a morning flight so we probably weren't super sensitive to how quick their service worked).
Thanks. Any insight in the last month or two from anyone?
Old May 25, 19, 10:06 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bluedemon211 View Post
Thanks. Any insight in the last month or two from anyone?
I flew LAX-MEL and back this month. The fish out of LAX was inedible (and most of the Polaris catering from LAX is below average). My strong advice is to eat dinner in the Polaris lounge before boarding. Catering out of MEL is better, and the pasta dish was ok. Polaris meals are now about the level of a coach dinner when I first started flying United in the 1970s. Service was good in both directions.
Old Jun 3, 19, 6:45 am

Hi There,

I'm flying MELB-LAX and I'm tossing up whether to book 16K&L for my partner and myself. I've just got a few concerns with row 16 as a whole, what are the odds of us booking K&L (because J is already booked) and us getting the boot for passengers in need of a bassinet? Also how much addition leg room do you gain from sitting in 16 as opposed to any of the other rows in E+. Basically is it worth the risk of booking those seats for the potential extra leg room but also maybe getting booted or having a screaming baby 2ft away for 14 hours.

Cheers.

Search this Thread