Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United 787-9 (non-Polaris seat)

Old Jul 3, 2016, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
General consensus: In United Polaris business Cabin, 1D and 6D/E are the best seats on this plane due to the giant footrest area and direct aisle access without anyone having to step over you to get to the aisle. 1E is very close to the forward lav, however.
For further details, see poster #1 and also 787-8 thread. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1394369-everything-you-want-know-about-where-sit-united-dreamliner-787-8-a.html
UA 787-9 link

Fixed bassinets available at 6AB, 6KL, 16ABC, 16DEF, 16JKL, 29DEF

related thread - Everything You Want to Know about Where to Sit on the 789 true Polaris and PP version
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United 787-9 (non-Polaris seat)

Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:36 pm

LAX-MEL

Question from a newbie... I’m flying LAX-MEL soon and I’m currently in 1E. Slightly concerned about the proximity to the forward lavatory but want the larger footwell. Is the larger footwell on all the bulkhead row seats or just center? 6D/E are taken so my only other option is 6L. Thanks for any info!
Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:52 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nas527
Slightly concerned about the proximity to the forward lavatory but want the larger footwell. Is the larger footwell on all the bulkhead row seats or just center? 6D/E are taken so my only other option is 6L.
All bulkhead sets have wider space for your feet. 6L would be among my first choices on that plane.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by Kremmen
All bulkhead sets have wider space for your feet. 6L would be among my first choices on that plane.
Thanks for the quick reply! I just checked and 1L is also open. I assume 1 and 6L are fairly interchangeable? I don’t love the idea of the lavatory light shining on me in 1E if trying to sleep.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:13 am

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by nas527
Thanks for the quick reply! I just checked and 1L is also open. I assume 1 and 6L are fairly interchangeable? I don’t love the idea of the lavatory light shining on me in 1E if trying to sleep.
I have been in row 6 many times and like the smaller cabin.

Row 1 is a little quieter being farther from the engines, so for a window seat that might be nicer. Either way you are getting a good seat.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by polarbears

I have been in row 6 many times and like the smaller cabin.

Row 1 is a little quieter being farther from the engines, so for a window seat that might be nicer. Either way you are getting a good seat.
I'm flying solo IAH-SYD in two weeks for a business trip. I currently have selected 6A since I wanted to enjoy the big window and extra legroom in the footwell. However, 6B and 6E are also available; 6E is especially enticing since I won't have to crawl over my seat mate to use the toilet (which is friggin ridiculous on a 17 hour transcon business class seat that costs thousands of dollars).

What would you prefer? Is the engine really that bad/noticeable in rear cabin of business?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by snardy
I'm flying solo IAH-SYD in two weeks for a business trip. I currently have selected 6A since I wanted to enjoy the big window and extra legroom in the footwell. However, 6B and 6E are also available; 6E is especially enticing since I won't have to crawl over my seat mate to use the toilet
I would take 6E for the aisle access. IMO 6D and 6E are best seats on the aircraft. As for window vs. center aisle, you're over water virtually the entire flight, at night, so not much benefit to window.
bluedemon211 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA GS; Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott, Hyatt; Hertz
Am flying a 789 with a colleague PVG - SFO. Plane is empty right now. I usually grab 6E for myself, but I want to see for myself if row 1 is quieter than row 6. Do they still use the shelf in front of 1D/E for snacks and drinks? Is 1A/B appreciably more private and quiet than D/E? Any thoughts? Thx in advance.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Oregonflyer
Am flying a 789 with a colleague PVG - SFO. Plane is empty right now. I usually grab 6E for myself, but I want to see for myself if row 1 is quieter than row 6.
Yes there is less engine noise. I consider that a mixed blessing, as it means conversations carry farther and louder, including from the galley, which is right in front of you. In all events don't pick 1E, unless it's for your colleague and the goal is infliction of suffering.

I would just take 6D/E.
Rumples likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:55 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I'm flying solo IAH-SYD in two weeks for a business trip. I currently have selected 6A since I wanted to enjoy the big window and extra legroom in the footwell. However, 6B and 6E are also available; 6E is especially enticing since I won't have to crawl over my seat mate to use the toilet (which is friggin ridiculous on a 17 hour transcon business class seat that costs thousands of dollars).

What would you prefer? Is the engine really that bad/noticeable in rear cabin of business?
I would go with 6E. That's a long trip to have to wake your rowmate in order to get to the lavatory. I was in 6K and got the lights from the FA closet twinkling at me through the cracks of the door over the entire flight. Not much light but it was like a papercut -- more distracting and annoying that a regular bright light would have been.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

I would stay in 6A, but acknowledge that I am weird and also that climbing over a neighbor in a lie-flat seat bothers me very little
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:46 am

Programs: UA 1k

My preference is roughly 6D, 1D, 6E, 1E, 6B/K.

It's a pretty personal choice though. Really any of the seats are totally fine.

For the noise: I loathe white noise, but I wear noise cancelling headphones basically from I board the plane until at least immigration if not the hotel. I can arrange my pillow and head just right so I can sleep with them, too. So with that the engine noise in the smaller cabin doesn't make a difference. As someone else said having less people makes it (on average) otherwise quieter.

For other seat preferences:

I like getting up and stretching, so aisles are good. I can easily crawl over the other seat if I'm at the window, but I know I won't, or at least will stress over minimizing any inconvenience to my neighbor. I am tall so the bigger footwell makes a really big difference for me. I take a window seat in row 6 or 1 over an aisle seat elsewhere. From habit I prefer the seats in the left side; I am sure I could rationalize some reason (like the galley light or whatever; but I've gotten used to using a sleep mask so ... shrug).

Though I am sure 90% of my preference is that those seats are familiar. There are so many things that can go wrong, be stressful or annoying when traveling. I am forgetful, have a short attention span and I get stressed in any sort of line or queue.

When traveling for work minimizing surprises and making everything I can as familiar as possible makes that better.

I'll seek out new food, neighborhoods, whatever if I have time between work, but I don't want to use that energy on figuring out how to get comfortable in a seat, or being annoyed or losing sleep from some insignificant inconvenience (hello Lufthansa knee bumping!).

so ... as I said, all the seats are basically totally fine[1], but we all have our particular preferences. :-)

Enjoy your flight, whichever seat you choose!

[1] (maybe except the footwell if you can use the extra seat length)
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
I have always preferred 6D/E as my go-to on this plane. The footwell and direct aisle access are great.

That said, on my recent SFO-SIN-SFO flights with the loss of a FA at mid-cabin, it took much longer to get served meals/drinks refreshed than it used to. If timely and fast service is critical (for sleep or work) you might be tempted to go for row 1. If you do, I would suggest a sleep mask and ear plugs at a minimum.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: UA GS; Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott, Hyatt; Hertz
Great input! Thanks!!
Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:59 am

Programs: Qantas Frequent Flyer, United Mileage Plus
Best Economy Plus seats

Hi everyone. My wife and I are packing our bags for our trip to the USA mid April. We're flying on UA99 from MEL to LAX .Unfortunately our tickets are non upgradeable, so we'll be limited to Y. Am told my Premier Platinum status doesn't make a difference.

Be that as it may, would like to poll the experts on the panel on which seats are best in E+. We are currently in 20K and J, and 16L and K on the return UA98 flight. What would be your recommendations?

Thanks!

Kev
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:30 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Anything in 16 is great if you don’t mind the PTV and tray table position in the armrest area, or the possibility of the bassinet being used.

second choice for me is 29DEF.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.