Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United 787-9

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United 787-9

    Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 9, 18, 9:27 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
General consensus: In United Polaris business Cabin, 1D and 6D/E are the best seats on this plane due to the giant footrest area and direct aisle access without anyone having to step over you to get to the aisle. 1E is very close to the forward lav, however.
For further details, see poster #1 and also 787-8 thread. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...r-787-8-a.html
UA 787-9 link



Fixed bassinets available at 6AB, 6KL, 16ABC, 16DEF, 16JKL, 29DEF
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Oct 15, 18, 1:43 am
  #586  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Sacramento
Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Posts: 12,083
Originally Posted by findark View Post
The 2R lav is forward of the galley and nowhere near 6E.
6E seat is angled to the right. Pax barely needs to turn head to right and hes looking into the lav door.
kevinsac is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 18, 8:44 am
  #587  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 38,549
Originally Posted by kevinsac View Post
6E seat is angled to the right. Pax barely needs to turn head to right and he’s looking into the lav door.


That's absolutely wrong. The lav is on the far side of the galley and then across 2R. It is physically impossible to see it from 6E.

People keep confusing 1E with 6E. They are completely different seats. Which you can tell pretty easily just from looking at the seat map.
Kacee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 18, 8:55 am
  #588  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: DCA/IAD/MIA/FLL/PBI
Programs: UA Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS
Posts: 10,251
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
That's absolutely wrong. The lav is on the far side of the galley and then across 2R. It is physically impossible to see it from 6E.

People keep confusing 1E with 6E. They are completely different seats. Which you can tell pretty easily just from looking at the seat map.
Ditto.Unless someone has X ray vision, extremely long neck (like elastic girl) or other super hero abilities, there is no way one can see the lavatory from 6E.
UA_Flyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 18, 10:13 am
  #589  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Sacramento
Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Posts: 12,083
Sorry then. I must be thinking different plane
kevinsac is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 18, 3:38 pm
  #590  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Miami, Florida
Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Posts: 2,685
Is there room to stand up directly in front of seats 29 DEF — the lone E+ row directly behind the galley — or is there overhead storage there? I haven't been able to find a forward-facing photo of that area of the plane. Thanks.
joe_miami is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 18, 3:51 pm
  #591  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Posts: 5,317
Originally Posted by joe_miami View Post
Is there room to stand up directly in front of seats 29 DEF — the lone E+ row directly behind the galley — or is there overhead storage there? I haven't been able to find a forward-facing photo of that area of the plane. Thanks.
There's overhead bins there, as there are throughout the plane, but like in all the center section seats you can stand up (unless you're very tall, in which case that problem will confront you in all the seats.) This pic is from the back of the plane, showing the second of the two economy cabins.

joe_miami likes this.
drewguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 18, 4:05 pm
  #592  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Miami, Florida
Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Posts: 2,685
Thanks. I've seen the warnings about people congregating in front of the Row 27 seats; I wasn't sure if 29DEF was also such an area (and/or a place where people cut across from one side of the plane to the other).
joe_miami is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 18, 5:30 pm
  #593  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Ti
Posts: 710
Originally Posted by joe_miami View Post
Thanks. I've seen the warnings about people congregating in front of the Row 27 seats; I wasn't sure if 29DEF was also such an area (and/or a place where people cut across from one side of the plane to the other).
Unless you are very close friends, there's not enough room for additional people to stand when 29DEF are occupied. Same goes for any other bulkhead seat.
joe_miami likes this.
GoSh4rks is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 18, 7:35 pm
  #594  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Denver
Programs: UA Gold
Posts: 218
Flying LAX-PVG in a few weeks with a buddy in business. I'm assuming the flight is daylight almost all 13 hours. Do you ever feel claustrophobic in the middle seats, not being near a window? 6D&E are open, so thinking about grabbing them. Is it any easier to talk in the middle vs. window pairs?
1cericks is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 18, 7:49 pm
  #595  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Programs: UA MP 1K
Posts: 83
Originally Posted by 1cericks View Post
Flying LAX-PVG in a few weeks with a buddy in business. I'm assuming the flight is daylight almost all 13 hours. Do you ever feel claustrophobic in the middle seats, not being near a window? 6D&E are open, so thinking about grabbing them. Is it any easier to talk in the middle vs. window pairs?
flown 1 D/E and 6 D/E on quite a few 14+ hour flights on the 789 (mainly SYD-HOU-SYD and MEL-LAX-MEL).

- never felt claustrophobic (actually I think a window seat would make me feel more constrained)
- you will be able to chat quite easily with a simple lean
IAH2MEL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 18, 9:33 pm
  #596  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 38,549
Originally Posted by 1cericks View Post
I'm assuming the flight is daylight almost all 13 hours.
You're flying north. By the time you hit Alaska, the sun will be down
Kacee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 18, 12:35 pm
  #597  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Posts: 5,317
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
You're flying north. By the time you hit Alaska, the sun will be down
And you won't know it anyway, because the FAs will see to it that the windows are darkened after the dinner service ends (if not before).

As for claustrophobia, I think that's an entirely personal thing. I've never had that issue, even when packed into a plane in a middle seat. But I could understand others who may have symptoms having a different experience. (That said, I'm annoyed, but not phobic, to be in a coach window seat on a 14 hour flight, because I can't easily get out)
drewguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 19, 12:44 pm
  #598  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 307
Hi. Any idea why 27L would be ASA restricted? I tried to choose it for a May flight but it would not go through. I called and the agent told me it was ASA. Thanks!
daisyatl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 19, 4:21 pm
  #599  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: No. California
Programs: UA MP HH
Posts: 1,028
Originally Posted by daisyatl View Post
Hi. Any idea why 27L would be ASA restricted? I tried to choose it for a May flight but it would not go through. I called and the agent told me it was ASA. Thanks!
ASA? Do you mean ADA?
BlueZebra is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 19, 4:27 pm
  #600  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 307
Originally Posted by BlueZebra View Post
ASA? Do you mean ADA?
I think it is Advanced Seat assignment. I found this thread so assume that is what the acronym means: What does "Advance seat assignments are restricted for this flight" mean?
daisyatl is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread