Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United 787-9 (non-Polaris seat)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 3, 2016, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
General consensus: In United Polaris business Cabin, 1D and 6D/E are the best seats on this plane due to the giant footrest area and direct aisle access without anyone having to step over you to get to the aisle. 1E is very close to the forward lav, however.
For further details, see poster #1 and also 787-8 thread. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1394369-everything-you-want-know-about-where-sit-united-dreamliner-787-8-a.html
UA 787-9 link

Fixed bassinets available at 6AB, 6KL, 16ABC, 16DEF, 16JKL, 29DEF

related thread - Everything You Want to Know about Where to Sit on the 789 true Polaris and PP version
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United 787-9 (non-Polaris seat)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2015, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, ICH Platinum Ambassador, Hyatt Platinum
What is your status? Meal choice is based on status.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Mollyann500
What is your status? Meal choice is based on status.
1K, but I don't know what kind of the procedure FA will follow on 789. On my 788 flights I've seen FA took order from 1A-3A, then 1L to 3L. I want to make sure when they got to me all choices are still available
Old Jun 19, 2015, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Originally Posted by songzm
1K, but I don't know what kind of the procedure FA will follow on 789. On my 788 flights I've seen FA took order from 1A-3A, then 1L to 3L. I want to make sure when they got to me all choices are still available
I've flown the 789 ex-PVG a couple dozen times, and I've never once heard them ask any passenger for a second meal choice. Further, the FA that takes the order from the left side is not always the same as takes the right side. When not the same, they seem to start in each section as schedule and workload permits (rather random timing). When the purser takes orders, s/he may serve the entire front first, then the back, or may take orders left all the way, then right. They seem to take orders most often in the entire front of the plane, because they do it while coach passengers are filling the plane by entering thru the rear J cabin (this alone is the best reason to sit in the front cabin).

Still, there's no way to predict it. For service, from the front galley, one FA handles the left side rows 1-4, another right 1-4, and from the rear J galley, one FA serves left side 5-8 (in the two cabins), one the remaining. In all cases, the FA serves the window and two aisles on each side.

I've never not gotten my choice, and FWIW, I've never witnessed someone not getting his/her choice.

Bottom line- I suggest the front cabin, left side, and not worrying over the choice.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by USHPNWDLUA
I've flown the 789 ex-PVG a couple dozen times, and I've never once heard them ask any passenger for a second meal choice. Further, the FA that takes the order from the left side is not always the same as takes the right side. When not the same, they seem to start in each section as schedule and workload permits (rather random timing). When the purser takes orders, s/he may serve the entire front first, then the back, or may take orders left all the way, then right. They seem to take orders most often in the entire front of the plane, because they do it while coach passengers are filling the plane by entering thru the rear J cabin (this alone is the best reason to sit in the front cabin).

Still, there's no way to predict it. For service, from the front galley, one FA handles the left side rows 1-4, another right 1-4, and from the rear J galley, one FA serves left side 5-8 (in the two cabins), one the remaining. In all cases, the FA serves the window and two aisles on each side.

I've never not gotten my choice, and FWIW, I've never witnessed someone not getting his/her choice.

Bottom line- I suggest the front cabin, left side, and not worrying over the choice.
Thanks, I'll probably stick with 1L since 1A is not available
Old Jul 1, 2015, 1:18 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
I'm a big fan of 1D&E but those are taken on my upcoming trip LAX>NRT. Has anyone used 2 D or E as an alternative? I want to up my chances of hauling butt through customs while retaining the footwells of 1D&E and 6D&E.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Overhead space more convenient in 2D&E
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:19 pm
formerly wunderpit

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Overhead space more convenient in 2D&E
Foot/leg space same or ?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by wunderpit
Foot/leg space same or ?
With the sCO BusinessFirst seat, bulkhead seats always have the larger footwells.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Foot/leg space same or ?
Less. The bulkheads on the 788 (rows 1, 4) and the 789 (1, 6) have the most foot space since there is no pax in front for which to make room. Still not bad, and luggage space is easy.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 4:53 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Yup less. That's why I'm using 6D&E on 789 (4D&E on 788)--big footwells and no issues with OHB
Old Aug 19, 2015, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Flying solo LAX-MEL-LAX in a couple of weeks. On a previous trip I chose 1K, 1L, 2K, 2L for my family. Since I'm flying alone this trip, I figure a bulkhead seat such as 6E is my best choice since I would prefer direct OB space and don't need to look out the window. I originally had 1E both ways, but switched based on this thread. Have also had row's 6/7 K/L in the past on the 787-9, so I expect 6E should be fine.

Thoughts?
Old Aug 19, 2015, 7:57 pm
formerly wunderpit

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Flying solo LAX-MEL-LAX in a couple of weeks. On a previous trip I chose 1K, 1L, 2K, 2L for my family. Since I'm flying alone this trip, I figure a bulkhead seat such as 6E is my best choice since I would prefer direct OB space and don't need to look out the window. I originally had 1E both ways, but switched based on this thread. Have also had row's 6/7 K/L in the past on the 787-9, so I expect 6E should be fine.

Thoughts?
I love 1D & 1E and honestly have never had a problem with OB space and I've sat there many times. The bins are huge in the other rows...I board Group 1...no problem. Bonus (at NRT and LAX anyway) is that usually the jet bridge near aisle 1 is the first to open up, thus new first in line at customs. Sure, if you have GOES stateside then it's not a huge deal except you can get there first as well
Old Aug 19, 2015, 11:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I love 1D & 1E and honestly have never had a problem with OB space and I've sat there many times. The bins are huge in the other rows...I board Group 1...no problem. Bonus (at NRT and LAX anyway) is that usually the jet bridge near aisle 1 is the first to open up, thus new first in line at customs. Sure, if you have GOES stateside then it's not a huge deal except you can get there first as well
Maybe I will mix it up and fly row 6 to MEL and Row 1 on the return. I have Global Entry which should make things easy in LAX (even with the TBIT to T7 walk), but my connecting flight isn't until 10:59 am, so kind of a non issue. Short few day trip, so carry on only for this one.

Made the wife and kids do the walk from TBIT to T7 on our return from MEL in January, wife complained a little, but really no big deal.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA GS
Given a choice I will almost always take 1D/E over 6D/E on the 787-9 or 4D/E on 787-8 because you will be the first to deplane. I don't believe either plane deplanes only from the door at 2-left, but I think on occasion they will deplane from both 2-left and 1-left.

Overhead storage is simply not ever been an issue for me at row 1, especially if you board early.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, SPG Plat100, Hyatt Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Anyone know if there is any underseat storage for Row 16? Flying IAH-LAX so not a long flight, but just wanted to know what the best choice for Y is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.