Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United 787-9 (non-Polaris seat)

Old Jul 3, 2016, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
General consensus: In United Polaris business Cabin, 1D and 6D/E are the best seats on this plane due to the giant footrest area and direct aisle access without anyone having to step over you to get to the aisle. 1E is very close to the forward lav, however.
For further details, see poster #1 and also 787-8 thread. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1394369-everything-you-want-know-about-where-sit-united-dreamliner-787-8-a.html
UA 787-9 link

Fixed bassinets available at 6AB, 6KL, 16ABC, 16DEF, 16JKL, 29DEF

related thread - Everything You Want to Know about Where to Sit on the 789 true Polaris and PP version
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United 787-9 (non-Polaris seat)

Old May 19, 2017, 6:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by Kacee
Row six is best, but 1E is IMO probably the worst seat in the cabin. Unless you enjoy being five feet from the lav door and watching pax come in and out for 16 hours.

This should all be moved to the "where to sit" thread. Where to Sit on a UA 789.
Just book UA839 for late January.

6D and 6E were NOT available, nor the two right seats in row 6.

So I chose 1D for now ...
Old May 19, 2017, 6:56 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
First world issues here. MEL-LAX next Saturday and currently in a window w an open aisle. 9 total current open seats shown. 1 L currently open

So.....move from lesser "L" to 1L (which I love) with someone on K. Or keep current seat and hope no one fills open K? (Looked at this weeks flights and only day the 789 went out full was Saturday!).
Old May 19, 2017, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
First world issues here. MEL-LAX next Saturday and currently in a window w an open aisle. 9 total current open seats shown. 1 L currently open

So.....move from lesser "L" to 1L (which I love) with someone on K. Or keep current seat and hope no one fills open K? (Looked at this weeks flights and only day the 789 went out full was Saturday!).
I would move to 1L as chances are it will fill the seat next to you
Old May 20, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Anyone got a list of which -9's have the cloth seats and which have the leather seats in Y?
I've found there to me a material (hah) difference in choice seat as when the plane is on the cloth seats the bulkhead seats are much easier to use as I dont slide off the shorter seat base and when its leather I have to make sure to not pick a bulkhead seat
Old May 20, 2017, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by N104UA
I would move to 1L as chances are it will fill the seat next to you
Agree. Always assume the forward cabins will go out full.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
For an upcoming SFO-SYD overnight flight, I'm choosing between 5D and 6ADK for one passenger.

Is 6D the best choice?
Old Jun 7, 2017, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
For an upcoming SFO-SYD overnight flight, I'm choosing between 5D and 6ADK for one passenger.

Is 6D the best choice?
Absolutely
Old Jun 7, 2017, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA 2MM

Is 6D the best choice?
I am in the minority here but I would pick 6A, FAs have been known to set up the snack cart on top of the DE seats. In addition as you are near the lavs you can have foot traffic right near your seat when sleeping, if you don't get up much when sleeping take 6A
Old Jun 7, 2017, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Never seen on 6DE. FREEDOM!!!
Old Jun 7, 2017, 7:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Is 6D the best choice?
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Absolutely
Agreed. 6D/E are best.

I just flew 6K and would not recommend. It sticks out into the aisle and looks right into the galley. Plus you get climbed over (as with 6B). Dude next to me today was over six feet but apparently unable to step over without kicking me in each direction.

The thing about D/E that you can't tell from the seat map is they are set back about three feet farther from the galley than the aisle pairs and have no direct line of sight into it.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
What E+ seats would you guys recommend for an overnight flight? Leaning towards the bulkheads but I'm worried about the bassinets and small children. I'm flying solo. Row 27, maybe? But then I'm worried about a constant stream of people while I try to sleep. Seatguru doesn't have any "obvious" best E+ seats...
Old Jun 15, 2017, 5:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Smiley90
What E+ seats would you guys recommend for an overnight flight? Leaning towards the bulkheads but I'm worried about the bassinets and small children. I'm flying solo. Row 27, maybe? But then I'm worried about a constant stream of people while I try to sleep. Seatguru doesn't have any "obvious" best E+ seats...
16A/L and noise-cancelling headphones are the way to go.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 5:58 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
I prefer row 24 ( last row before the bulkhead ), at least if you like a window seat.

There's a bunch of extra space behind the seat where you can store blankets, pillows, etc.... useful for sleeping but then you can get them out of your way during the daytime part of the flight.

Despite what seatguru says, the galley and lav is not bothersome, at least in the window seat.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Since a couple of people upthread had asked about the view from 6L, see the photo below, showing what you see out the aft-most window in that seat. It's great if you like looking at the engine and the wing--which on the 787 are more interesting than usual.

I can also confirm that there's an enormous amount of room in the footbed (FYI, my shoes are size 9), and that at least on this IAD-CDG flight a week ago, the shelf atop the monitor stayed clear for my use. I also appreciated being able to grab on to that, versus the back of somebody else's seat, when climbing over the passenger next to me.
Attached Images   
Old Jun 21, 2017, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by DCA writer
I can also confirm that there's an enormous amount of room in the footbed (FYI, my shoes are size 9).
Those are shoes?

David

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.