Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United 787-9 (non-Polaris seat)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 3, 2016, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
General consensus: In United Polaris business Cabin, 1D and 6D/E are the best seats on this plane due to the giant footrest area and direct aisle access without anyone having to step over you to get to the aisle. 1E is very close to the forward lav, however.
For further details, see poster #1 and also 787-8 thread. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1394369-everything-you-want-know-about-where-sit-united-dreamliner-787-8-a.html
UA 787-9 link

Fixed bassinets available at 6AB, 6KL, 16ABC, 16DEF, 16JKL, 29DEF

related thread - Everything You Want to Know about Where to Sit on the 789 true Polaris and PP version
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United 787-9 (non-Polaris seat)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2017, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by narvik
SeatGuru should be run by FT!
I've thought that myself on may occasions!
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Are the BF seats on this aircraft the same as the BF seat on PS 757 and or the international BF seats?
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by narvik
SeatGuru should be run by FT!
Or just buy it and improve the crowdsourced information by miles
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kevinsac
Are the BF seats on this aircraft the same as the BF seat on PS 757 and or the international BF seats?
It's the sCO seat BF seat. Used on sCO 772, 764, two-class 763, sCO 752, and ps 752. It's somewhat longer than in the 752s and 767s.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:46 pm

Location: MSP, WLG, or the forward most A seat in Y I can get
Programs: UA Plat (and all the derivatives on cars and hotels that implies)
For those in E+, 16A-C and 16G-K appear to have marginally more legroom than 16D-F, and the window-side triples also benefit from what is effectively two overhead bins available.

However i noticed on our MEL-LAX trip that the arm-rests in 16D-F raise up, whereas A-C and G-K don't get that.

We also noticed the new leather seats in economy have much worse headrests than the older fabric ones, but this is just a constant within a plane, rather than variable across seats.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:55 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by evanroberts
We also noticed the new leather seats in economy have much worse headrests than the older fabric ones, but this is just a constant within a plane, rather than variable across seats.
++

The new leather seats have horrible headrests compared to the cloth seats.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's the sCO seat BF seat. Used on sCO 772, 764, two-class 763, sCO 752, and ps 752. It's somewhat longer than in the 752s and 767s.
Thanks. That sucks. I had wished they improved the seats a bit on 787 since those planes fly the long routes to SYD
Old Jan 20, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by kevinsac
Thanks. That sucks. I had wished they improved the seats a bit on 787 since those planes fly the long routes to SYD
And SIN. And they'll be the last to get Polaris hard product
Old Jan 22, 2017, 8:40 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by evanroberts
For those in E+, 16A-C and 16G-K appear to have marginally more legroom than 16D-F, and the window-side triples also benefit from what is effectively two overhead bins available.

However i noticed on our MEL-LAX trip that the arm-rests in 16D-F raise up, whereas A-C and G-K don't get that.

I think it's only the armrest between D and E that raises up. Each seat still has it's own table in one of the armrests. See:
http://blog.wandr.me/wp-content/uplo...9/IMG_6238.jpg

I'm surprised about the headrest comment though - it still seems to be the same seat hardware, just a different covering - and the headrest looks like it's the same size:
http://travelskills.com/wp-content/u...4.54.11-PM.png

Since the seat padding looks thinner I can imagine the headrest does extend further forward when compared to the seatback?
Old Jan 22, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
And SIN. And they'll be the last to get Polaris hard product
But they could potentially switch those routes to the A350 *if* it arrives? (I believe it has better range, which would be helpful for SFO-SIN at least.)
Old Jan 24, 2017, 6:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Does anyone has an authoritative source, which engines are power the United 787-9 Dreamliner: the Rolls-Royce Trent 1000 or the GEnx?

http://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/U...ctive-b787.htm

Airfleet suggests that some birds are equipped by Trent, the other ones are run by GEnx.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:03 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by warakorn
Does anyone has an authoritative source, which engines are power the United 787-9 Dreamliner: the Rolls-Royce Trent 1000 or the GEnx?

http://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/U...ctive-b787.htm

Airfleet suggests that some birds are equipped by Trent, the other ones are run by GEnx.
UA states
787-8 Dreamliner seat map and configuration/787-9 Dreamliner seat map and configuration

Cruise Speed: 560 mph
Capacity: 219-252 passengers
Propulsion: Two General Electric GEnx engines
Wingspan: 197 feet, 4 inches
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Thanks! Then airfleet has inaccurate information.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 10:55 am

Good Day Everyone I'm a long time lurker, but finally had a reason to set up an actual account and pose a question.

So last night I booked a Multi-City trip from EWR to SIN via SFO for 5 days in which the SFO to SIN leg will be on United's Dreamliner 787-9. We'll be slumming it in Basic Economy in seats 29L & 29K (Girlfriend & I).

The flight leaves SFO at 10:40pm and arrives at 6:15am +2. I know we'll be going through a couple of time zones and have read about how brutal the sun can be on the opposite side of the plane. Two questions, have I interpreted this correctly in regards to picking the correct side of the plane. Also, I see a lot of advice for seating in Economy Plus & Business Class but nothing really about Basic Economy. Can you guys suggest any better seating than 29L & 29K in Basic Economy? I'm thinking about swapping the window seat for the aisle seat, but have read about how narrow the aisles are on this thing. I have pretty broad shoulders and it would be pretty annoying to kept getting bumped by either the food cart or other passangers.

{removed query on ANA seating}

Finally, we'll be returning home via NRT to EWR on United's 777-200. Currently, I placed us in 41L & 41K. I picked those seats because I read on either Seat Guru or some blog that these were a decent choice. If any you guys have any further insight on this leg as well that would be much appreciated. Flight times for this leg is 4:55pm to 4:35pm

I would have loved to fly ANA on all legs but it was almost $300 more expensive and the flight times weren't working with my timetable. Hence me being stuck with using United.

Thanks in Advance Everyone

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 28, 2017 at 8:58 pm Reason: ANA seating questions are better handled in ANA forum
Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by DeityAllah
The flight leaves SFO at 10:40pm and arrives at 6:15am +2. I know we'll be going through a couple of time zones and have read about how brutal the sun can be on the opposite side of the plane. Two questions, have I interpreted this correctly in regards to picking the correct side of the plane.
With those times, you're flying west and essentially never seeing the sun. If it is visible, it will be very low to the horizon. But generally your thought about the side of the plane is correct (stay on the north side). If you are really sensitive about sun, I recommend this awesome website.

Originally Posted by DeityAllah
Also, I see a lot of advice for seating in Economy Plus & Business Class but nothing really about Basic Economy. Can you guys suggest any better seating than 29L & 29K in Basic Economy? I'm thinking about swapping the window seat for the aisle seat, but have read about how narrow the aisles are on this thing. I have pretty broad shoulders and it would be pretty annoying to kept getting bumped by either the food cart or other passangers.
27 A&L are going to be the best seats in E- due to extra legroom despite the slide, but that won't work with a partner since the middle seat is E+. Everything else is pretty much the same as long as you're not sitting in the last couple rows (the plane narrows so the seats do too). Can't really comment on window versus aisle; the 789 is going to be a miserable ride for 16 hours in E- no matter how you slice it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.