Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Cancelling one intermediate segment on international UA flight

Old Sep 23, 2014, 3:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver

Planning a UA international flight, revenue ticket (P booking class), Europe, USA, Mexico, USA, Europe.

I still have some uncertainty in my itinerary, which I can plan for easily if I would be able to cancel one or two segments of the ticket (after first segment used). This would make the round trip into an open jaw, which is ok with the fare rules. Specifically, instead of MEX IAD PHX EWR where PHX begins the return trip, it would become MEX -open jaw- PHX EWR

As long as I do this at least a few hours before the flight - can I cancel one or two segments without changing the rest of the trip?

Any other comments or advice please?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 4:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott P, SPG G
P class comes with a change fee. So even if the fare rules permit your new routing, you will still get charged.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sabbasolo
.....I still have some uncertainty in my itinerary, which I can plan for easily if I would be able to cancel one or two segments of the ticket (after first segment used). This would make the round trip into an open jaw, which is ok with the fare rules......
Many threads about this issue. No, the rest of the itinerary after your skipped segment will be cancelled.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rn-flight.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...t-get-lax.html
Old Sep 23, 2014, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TerryK
Many threads about this issue. No, the rest of the itinerary after your skipped segment will be cancelled.
The OP doesn't say anything about intending to skip a segment, and clearly (at least to me) says they are looking at changing it.

The answer is that yes, it should be able to be changed. Though it will cost a change fee (new money) plus any fare difference based on the new routing - if the new fare is less than the old, the fare difference may result in a voucher going to the OP valid for future travel.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
The OP doesn't say anything about intending to skip a segment, and clearly (at least to me) says they are looking at changing it.....
Then, the question is moot. You can always change a ticket if you are willing to pay change fee and fare difference.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Well there doesn't seem to be a lot of agreement. So cancelling a segment and not changing routing is a "change" even if fare class is the same and available?

I know I can't just skip the segment or itinerary will be cancelled. I also realize that the fare has a change fee - the question is not moot - I suppose it boils down to what is considered a change. Not every touch of a reservation is a change that requires a change fee
(think upgrade, SDC, ...)

I have read the other threads, I thought my situation was different, among other reasons because it was not a hidden city thing, a complex itinerary with multiple stopovers....

Last edited by sabbasolo; Sep 23, 2014 at 9:06 am
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, Emerald Executive, SPG Gold
I think there is agreement in every post that you'll have to pay a change fee to cancel a segment (even if everything else is unchanged).

The items you point out (upgrade, SDC) are specific exceptions where United has allowed particular changes. Otherwise, even changes such as paying extra to get into a higher fare class, but still in the same cabin on the exact same flights attract the same change fee in many cases.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by tlawrence85
I think there is agreement in every post that you'll have to pay a change fee to cancel a segment (even if everything else is unchanged).
And you will also have to pay the fare difference. Which could be quite substantial, particularly if you make the change prior to your first departure.

While SDC may allow changes in routing so long as origin and destination remain the same, it does not allow you to drop a destination entirely (which is what you want to do).
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
So cancelling a segment and not changing routing is a "change" even if fare class is the same and available?
Cancelling a segment is changing the routing. The new routing involves an ARNK and becomes either an open jaw or two one ways. Either way, the entire ticket would need to be repriced.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Ok, got it now. Thanks for your help
Old Sep 23, 2014, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Well there doesn't seem to be a lot of agreement. So cancelling a segment and not changing routing is a "change" even if fare class is the same and available?
It's a change, yes, and while the fee is called a change fee, it's really, I believe, to re-issue the ticket. Canceling a segment, even if in the middle and keeping origin/destination the same, requires this. Also would explain why you can make multiple changes at once and they only charge once - since they can make all the changes you request, then proceed to re-issue a single time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.