Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Winter (Q1 2015) schedule cuts coming

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
Originally Posted by fly18725
Well, HNL has performed well, but CONUS-HND is more challenging for US carriers. SFO probably has the best chance at working due to the size of the hub and JV with NH. DL has the benefit of neither with its routes.
I suppose we shall see... while I won't dispute that it SHOULD perform better, on paper, the timing of these flights still has them solidly stuck as O/D-only traffic both ways for HND, and Destination-only on the return for SFO. The JV may shore up the financials, but the underlying problems with the route will likely be no better and no worse than SEA.

Also, while they haven't announced a "seasonal" reduction yet, UA has already dropped HND off the holiday calendar. The new nonstop doesn't operate at all 11/19-11/21, 11/25-11/27, and similar gaps just before Xmas travel weeks. For a brand new highly-touted route, that won't even be a month old by that point, it's not a stunning vote of confidence in advance...
Old Sep 26, 2014, 11:06 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Though if UA loses less in Q1 2015, this could easily be seen by those running the show as confirmation that the strategy worked. Why not cut more to see how things work out? Sure it is short term thinking and there may be no connection whatsoever between the cuts and the losing less but hey, if it works why question it.
This is the classic "Wall Street is really our #1 customer" syndrome. The problem is it's the flying customers that provide the revenue.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
This is the classic "Wall Street is really our #1 customer" syndrome. The problem is it's the flying customers that provide the revenue.
Agree. I think it makes sense to do your maintenance and training in the slow season but other airlines may see this as an opportunity and offer seats thereby costing you market share and loyalty and potentially customers when the busy season matters.

At the end of the day they need to provide the best product at the best price. Delta and AA and really WN, B6, and VX are running circles around UA at this point.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 11:34 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fly18725
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
But making it clear to the HVF that the loss of their business is an acceptable risk is a risk in itself. And there has been far much of that message being received from UA for many folks.
Your position is based on the assumption that most people here are HVFs, which isn't true.
My statement drew no connection to FT or the status of FT members.
Your statement assumes HVF (non FT members) are unaware of / not impacted by the changes, IME, that is not true.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
My statement drew no connection to FT or the status of FT members.
Your statement assumes HVF (non FT members) are unaware of / not impacted by the changes, IME, that is not true.
I want to emphasize this point. United's management seems to think its actions only impact (and are heard by) those it views as its targets (those paying 8-12 c/mi, and the "over-entitled elites") but its not like we have a number stamped on our foreheads and only those with a 4 stamped there hear the discordant note.

When Jeff took over, in numerous ways he tried to cut the benefits overall to elites, while skewing the smaller pie to the top spenders. (upgrade clearance by fare category, and now GS and reward miles being given by spending).

But the top spending travelers (and I say this as one) don't make a cost benefit analysis with each issue, they react to changes they don't like, and the overall feel of the experience. That they get more miles is lost in the crappy food/coffee, agent who would not help them. As an example, my upgrades nearly always cleared as a GS (In Jeff's view, I should love Jeff for this) but before it cleared (often at the gate) I would get the annoying "buy an upgrade now, for $$" and upsell offers non-stop. An airline that makes my experience be part of a reverse auction, is not one I want to fly. I've talked to other GS/1Ks and they found the entire thing equally annoying. My thought process is/was "I'm spending $50-60K/year on United, and United will happily stick me in the back in a middle seat if they can sell an $69 upgrade to the guy who paid 1/3 what I paid for my ticket." The message is NOT "United's got my back."

As I've said many times, flying United, and sitting up front, in probably 50-100 conversations, with two notable exception, I've not found anyone who was happy with the service/benefits they were/are getting from United compared to pre-merger. Many of these are HVFers. They might not know what a FT regular knows, but they knew enough to know they did not like what they were getting from United. And now flying DL/AS/VX from SFO, my seatmate is most often ex-UA, and they heard the negative message from Jeff and Co. loud and clear.

In the old (PM) United, staff would look at your status, see 1K, and know that they were authorized to fix the problem. Currently, not so much, the training is to follow procedures to the letter, and that mindset overwhelms (IME) the ability to creatively fix issues for the HVFer.

p.s. and I might add that some, if not many, of the regular UAL defenders here, are lower "value" (to UAL anyway) fliers, and have posted that they are paying 10-12 c/mi to fly UAL. So its also not correct to equate unhappiness with lower spending.

p.s.s. and the noteworthy thing to me is that when 1K/GS folks have complained to me, those who were pmCO blame "the folks in Chicago who took over CO" and the pmUA folks blame "the folks in Houston who took over UA" The details of what has happened may be fuzzy, but the outcome is not.

Last edited by spin88; Sep 26, 2014 at 1:09 pm
Old Sep 26, 2014, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Some have savvily asserted that schedule/network trumps all, and product/service don't matter in the big picture.

That's clearly been proven (vis-a-vis' UA's relative performance the past couple years) to be a profoundly short-sighted viewpoint :-:
Old Sep 26, 2014, 1:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Darlox
I suppose we shall see... while I won't dispute that it SHOULD perform better, on paper, the timing of these flights still has them solidly stuck as O/D-only traffic both ways for HND, and Destination-only on the return for SFO. The JV may shore up the financials, but the underlying problems with the route will likely be no better and no worse than SEA.

Also, while they haven't announced a "seasonal" reduction yet, UA has already dropped HND off the holiday calendar. The new nonstop doesn't operate at all 11/19-11/21, 11/25-11/27, and similar gaps just before Xmas travel weeks. For a brand new highly-touted route, that won't even be a month old by that point, it's not a stunning vote of confidence in advance...
but, this is typical on a lot of flights in the network for international.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
Originally Posted by CALMSP
but, this is typical on a lot of flights in the network for international.
Absolutely true. But you don't see SFO-NRT (or DL's SEA-NRT) being treated similarly. The fact that HND already made the reduction roster reveals at least a little about their predictions on its off-peak prospects.

Anyhow, my root point in ALL of this, when I replied, was simply that DL's seasonal reduction in SEA-HND reflects upon neither the success or sustainability of their growing SEA hub, nor is it any indicator of UA's ultimate success on the SFO-HND route or its likelihood as a year-round offering!
Old Sep 26, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Darlox
Absolutely true. But you don't see SFO-NRT (or DL's SEA-NRT) being treated similarly. The fact that HND already made the reduction roster reveals at least a little about their predictions on its off-peak prospects.

Anyhow, my root point in ALL of this, when I replied, was simply that DL's seasonal reduction in SEA-HND reflects upon neither the success or sustainability of their growing SEA hub, nor is it any indicator of UA's ultimate success on the SFO-HND route or its likelihood as a year-round offering!
I understand that xxx-HND is a route that is there for business traffic almost exlusively (the bad fight times are made up for by not needing a two hour (and at least $100 RT) train ride into Tokyo). As noted above there are few connecting options (given the flight time) unlike at NRT. What happens at NRT is that when the business fliers disappear, the flights are still profitable as they are full with family/leisure traffic, often at higher fares due to demand. But I expect that United was seeing/expecting the plane to be mostly empty over those periods and decided to cancel it, perhaps adding it onto something like a Hawaii route. I question that with a new route that UAL is trying to get established, but I don't read too much into it on how well SFO-HND will do.

I also think the DL flight ex-SEA is impacted more by the bad times than SFO as SFO is about 2x the O/D market. The smaller size of the DL A/C (a 763 I think) helps some, but I expect DL was also picking up a lot of Japanese tourist traffic, which will be gone in the winter, hence the suspension.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 2:39 pm

this argument

has been made DOZENS of times in multiple threads and is really not relevant to the topic of this thread. It should be in one of the dozens of threads talking about the degradation of the Mileage Plus program. So I don't see why this comment or any of these related comments are in a thread about seasonal reductions of service. Which, by the way, Delta has done more of for longer than any other US airline. This winter they are expanding a bit, but it's off a lower base. UA still is behind DL in this trend of seasonalizing the schedule.

Originally Posted by spin88
I want to emphasize this point. United's management seems to think its actions only impact (and are heard by) those it views as its targets (those paying 8-12 c/mi, and the "over-entitled elites") but its not like we have a number stamped on our foreheads and only those with a 4 stamped there hear the discordant note.

When Jeff took over, in numerous ways he tried to cut the benefits overall to elites, while skewing the smaller pie to the top spenders. (upgrade clearance by fare category, and now GS and reward miles being given by spending).

But the top spending travelers (and I say this as one) don't make a cost benefit analysis with each issue, they react to changes they don't like, and the overall feel of the experience. That they get more miles is lost in the crappy food/coffee, agent who would not help them. As an example, my upgrades nearly always cleared as a GS (In Jeff's view, I should love Jeff for this) but before it cleared (often at the gate) I would get the annoying "buy an upgrade now, for $$" and upsell offers non-stop. An airline that makes my experience be part of a reverse auction, is not one I want to fly. I've talked to other GS/1Ks and they found the entire thing equally annoying. My thought process is/was "I'm spending $50-60K/year on United, and United will happily stick me in the back in a middle seat if they can sell an $69 upgrade to the guy who paid 1/3 what I paid for my ticket." The message is NOT "United's got my back."

As I've said many times, flying United, and sitting up front, in probably 50-100 conversations, with two notable exception, I've not found anyone who was happy with the service/benefits they were/are getting from United compared to pre-merger. Many of these are HVFers. They might not know what a FT regular knows, but they knew enough to know they did not like what they were getting from United. And now flying DL/AS/VX from SFO, my seatmate is most often ex-UA, and they heard the negative message from Jeff and Co. loud and clear.

In the old (PM) United, staff would look at your status, see 1K, and know that they were authorized to fix the problem. Currently, not so much, the training is to follow procedures to the letter, and that mindset overwhelms (IME) the ability to creatively fix issues for the HVFer.

p.s. and I might add that some, if not many, of the regular UAL defenders here, are lower "value" (to UAL anyway) fliers, and have posted that they are paying 10-12 c/mi to fly UAL. So its also not correct to equate unhappiness with lower spending.

p.s.s. and the noteworthy thing to me is that when 1K/GS folks have complained to me, those who were pmCO blame "the folks in Chicago who took over CO" and the pmUA folks blame "the folks in Houston who took over UA" The details of what has happened may be fuzzy, but the outcome is not.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
In theory this is correct, but cutting IAD-SEA by 66% (including all o/d business travel frequencies) does not square with publicly available data.

Looking at IAD-SEA, according to flight aware, United has run at 88% capacity over the past year. The median ONE WAY restricted coach fare was $368. Compare that to SFO which is operated with more frequency but similar aircraft. 89% capacity and median fare of $303.

Based on the above United should be making more money per seat to SEA than SFO, yet SEA is getting cut 66%. Sure, SFO is a hub but I would argue these decisions are not entirely based on the bottom line.
Looks like AS agrees with me on this one. Its launching SEA-IAD-SEA in March: http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/m...dulles-in.html
Old Jul 11, 2015, 2:45 pm

EWR-BWI summer schedule

On a different sub-topic...

Currently, there's no evening BWI-EWR flight, which is a bummer for those of us who work in BWI. It returns on Aug 18 as UA 4777 dep 7:05p. Any ideas why there's no evening flight in July?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
there is Amtrak instead,with much more reliable service!
Old Aug 30, 2015, 11:50 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Since we are well past 2015Q1 and other threads on schedule changes exist, so time to close this one out. Thanks all for your input.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.