Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA to end JFK-IAD Service, Effective 25 October 2014

UA to end JFK-IAD Service, Effective 25 October 2014

Old Sep 21, 14, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 787fan View Post
It's not comparable. JFK is DL's sole Atlantic hub from the northeast while UA has both EWR and IAD
EWR is UA's sole hub in the Northeast :-:
Old Sep 21, 14, 8:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
It's not comparable. JFK is DL's sole Atlantic hub from the northeast while UA has both EWR and IAD
I'm not quite sure I'd call IAD the "northeast."
Old Sep 21, 14, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by exerda View Post
I'm not quite sure I'd call IAD the "northeast."
Correct. IAD is UA's midatlantic hub.
Old Sep 21, 14, 8:48 pm

Programs: Gymboree Global Services
EWR hub or not, the point is DL seems to think there is enough traffic between IAD-JFK and enough flow IAD-JFK-wherever (& v.v) to operate, yet UA thinks there isn't enough IAD-JFK + JFK-IAD-wherever (& v.v)

The other point is DL can suck traffic out of UA's IAD hub but UA can't out of DL's.
Old Sep 21, 14, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by fly18725 View Post
The impact of the small number of eliminated routes is being greatly exaggerated. Particularly in this case, when the city pair is still served with multiple other options.
Maybe exaggerated to some flyer's needs. Obviously, a significant impact for flyers with other needs and expectations.

The shrinking of United's network continues...and it is not a good thing.
Old Sep 21, 14, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post
Maybe exaggerated to some flyer's needs. Obviously, a significant impact for flyers with other needs and expectations.

The shrinking of United's network continues...and it is not a good thing.
An airline can't be everything to everyone. People that live on LI or prefer to originate at JFK are not UAL's core customers and it's silly to waste resources trying to compete for that traffic.

Everyone who's complainig about the end of this route is highlighting the connection opportunities it gave, none of which are particularly profitable business.
Old Sep 21, 14, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by whlinder View Post
EWR hub or not, the point is DL seems to think there is enough traffic between IAD-JFK and enough flow IAD-JFK-wherever (& v.v) to operate, yet UA thinks there isn't enough IAD-JFK + JFK-IAD-wherever (& v.v)

The other point is DL can suck traffic out of UA's IAD hub but UA can't out of DL's.
I have a feeling that IAD-JFK exists on DL because DL uses those flights to feed into their TATL operations. Whereas UA customers have the option to take a nonstop flight in many cases, or connect via EWR. Now, UA could "suck" domestic traffic away from DL at JFK by having people fly JFK-IAD-XXX. But I'm not sure if that would bring in much revenue versus the costs of doing so.
Old Sep 22, 14, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS, AA*EXP, Hyatt*Globalist
I love all the comments made by those posters who are not affected by the elimination of service or not from the areas impacted. Often, they are the first to complain when their frequently flown routes or their home airports are affected.
Old Sep 22, 14, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by meFIRST View Post
The people at route planning i suppose didn't bother to consider that.
I wonder if they look at profitability by single routes (and use some kind of mileage-pro-rated allocation for connections) OR they actually think about the impact network.
Old Sep 22, 14, 12:31 am

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Always Flyin View Post

The biggest loss is those in the DC area trying to connect through JFK to the multitude of Star carriers flying out of JFK who do not fly out of IAD.
This is the key point. It's a devaluation of the *A network.
Old Sep 22, 14, 12:50 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by username View Post
I wonder if they look at profitability by single routes (and use some kind of mileage-pro-rated allocation for connections) OR they actually think about the impact network.
Based on the elimination of service to Bangkok, it seems quite clear to me that United does not.

Just like cutting 2-Billion in costs. How much revenue did those cuts cost you? I suspect UA had no idea (and didn't care).

All UA seems to be interested in doing is making the stock analysts happy . . . this quarter.
Old Sep 22, 14, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
This is the key point. It's a devaluation of the *A network.
It's kind of minor in the grand scheme of things. Besides Egyptair to Cairo, what else was unique about JFK in regards to the Star network? Moreover, connecting at JFK outbound requires going through security again for most of the other Star carriers.
Old Sep 22, 14, 1:25 am

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Fanjet View Post
It's kind of minor in the grand scheme of things. Besides Egyptair to Cairo, what else was unique about JFK in regards to the Star network? Moreover, connecting at JFK outbound requires going through security again for most of the other Star carriers.
Off the top of my head? SQ, LO, BR, OZ, CA, AI, and SA all fly ex-JFK but not IAD. There may be others.
Old Sep 22, 14, 2:20 am

Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Originally Posted by tuolumne View Post
JFK-LAX/SFO are large high-profile markets and the talk of impending withdrawl is overblown, in my opinion.
I'm certain a lot of people would have said the same thing about JFK-LHR and/or JFK-NRT in 2006.
Old Sep 22, 14, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
IAD-JFK-Europe is logical, but JFK-IAD-Europe is quite a backtrack.
Mmmmmm no.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=jfk-iad...a&MS=wls&DU=mi

Going back via ORD/IAH, you could fairly say would be "quite a backtrack".

Search this Thread
Search Engine: