FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA to end JFK-IAD Service, Effective 25 October 2014 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1614354-ua-end-jfk-iad-service-effective-25-october-2014-a.html)

goodeats21 Sep 21, 2014 10:52 am

Originally Posted by LarkSFO (Post 23559545)
Bottom line: If they kept flying unprofitable routes just to please 'some customers', then we could restart the thread about 'How soon will UA re-enter bankruptcy'.

Or alternatively, constant reductions in the route network continue to push customers to competitors. Maybe the endgame is to shrink United to IAH<->EWR as the only route. I guess it will be profitable....

Like ever other route elimination thread, unless someone has access to detailed financial data AND the tools to understand how each route abandonment impacts the whole system, it is impossible to state route profitability status with any certainty.

sbm12 Sep 21, 2014 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Kmxu (Post 23558967)
DEN or ORD is more likely if UA wants to feed *A airlines such as South Africa Airlines.

Those connections will be handled over IAD. Or via the existing codeshare partnership with B6.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 23559503)
Everyone needs to get over PS coming to EWR at some point...it's just not a premium airport/destination relative to JFK.

Agreed, at least in the context of transcons.

HeadInTheClouds Sep 21, 2014 11:09 am

No, totally unrelated.

Everyone needs to get over PS coming to EWR at some point...it's just not a premium airport/destination relative to JFK.

Plus, UA owns EWR (figuratively), so they have little incentive to offer a super-premium product TCON (compared to JFK, where the stakes, and competitors, are much higher).

Plus, there have been reports that indicate that UA still holds quite a premium on LAX/SFO-JFK fares and yields. That doesn't lead one to the conclusion that they are planning to pull out of JFK. Granted, competition has been heating up the market, but you don't just wipe out that kind of legacy advantage quickly or easily.

DErg Sep 21, 2014 11:43 am

Unfortunate that the option to connect from DC to PS service is gone but frankly I could rarely justify it anyways because it effectively added 2-3 hours to a 5 hour trip. Given the light loads I always experienced (out of about 8 times booking it) and the fact that 3 out of those 8 times it was canceled and I had to scramble to either a rebooking on amtrak or out of LGA I understand that it probably made sense.

Hopefully there is a new route added somewhere instead of just yet another cut in the network.

joshwex90 Sep 21, 2014 11:58 am

UA owns EWR (figuratively), so they have little incentive to offer a super-premium product TCON (compared to JFK, where the stakes, and competitors, are much higher).

This is a fair reason (for now) why p.s. flights may not be coming to EWR. (Though I would hardly call them "super-premium)

I'd hardly call this a reason. Nor would I describe JFK as a premium airport/destination any more or less than EWR. If you're looking at NYC as the destination, than it's a premium destination and EWR is no less than JFK. If you're looking at the airport, you gotta see some more airports

IAH-OIL-TRASH Sep 21, 2014 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by united4 (Post 23557707)
CO did not serve JFK at the time of the merger.

Your wording implied CO never served JFK. I think we all know they didn't at time of merger.

UA-NYC Sep 21, 2014 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90 (Post 23559899)
This is a fair reason (for now) why p.s. flights may not be coming to EWR. (Though I would hardly call them "super-premium)

I guess, for comparison's sake, you could call domestic F "premium" (I mean, not with UA, but generally), but any TCONs that have int'l biz-style seating and amenities, to me that's super-premium.

I'd hardly call this a reason. Nor would I describe JFK as a premium airport/destination any more or less than EWR. If you're looking at NYC as the destination, than it's a premium destination and EWR is no less than JFK. If you're looking at the airport, you gotta see some more airports
I'm guessing there's far more int'l F at JFK than at EWR. And of course JFK is where all the premium TCONs go too. Follow the money...the $$$ flows to JFK, thus that's where more premium product goes.

Neither airport is beautiful by any means, though some of the newer terminals at JFK are quite nice inside & out.

Billygreg Sep 21, 2014 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by catocony (Post 23557532)
Most business customers from DCA/IAD to New York prefer to fly into LGA since it's a much faster cab ride into the city. Maybe if UA beefed up IAD-LGA they could pick up some customers. Those of us who live near Dulles don't really use Amtrak since it's a long ride down to Union Station to catch a train. So, while Acela has nearly killed off the DCA-LGA hourly shuttles, it's not a great option for everyone.

I've flown IAD-JFK a bunch of times, but usually to then drive further out on Long Island. Fares on IAD-JFK were usually a few hundred bucks cheaper than to LGA, so it got some tourist business connecting in from elsewhere at IAD.

EWR really isn't an option for a lot of people. Cab fares through the tunnels are exorbitant, and taking the train from EWR to Penn Station and then cabbing/subway from there to wherever makes for a really long day.

This. Another bit of IAD/Dulles NoVa hating by UA. Why not just shoot us now? Not everyone wants to haul into DCA and there are plenty of us in NoVa who need to get to LI. And with the miserable excuse for flights they now have for IAD-LGA our access to NYC is now limited on UA. Jetblue has killed almost all their IAD-JFK (2x daily), leaving Delta as the only other one on this route. Delta also killed IAD-LGA last year so I am now forced again on a miserable drive into DCA where traffic means I can only take the 6AM out or a flight back after 7PM.

Micp3208 Sep 21, 2014 2:47 pm

It will be interesting to see what happens with UA and JFK as others have mentioned. With the remaining few PS flights left, as others have mentioned, how long will they (United) will hang on to JFK.

It seems silly to operate a United Club and United Global First Lounge at an airport that will see less than 20 of their own flights per day, when the Washington flights end. I understand the dynamics of the lounges for the PS flights, but when the bottom line is what matters most to a company, there has to be more to this plan.

I live in NJ and I won't drive to JFK or LGA because of the distance, though plenty of my friends and family will go to NYC airports or PHL, based on the right price points or connections. I am hopeful one of those JFK-IAD flights can go to ACY. I know it won't happen, but we can dream.

787fan Sep 21, 2014 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Billygreg (Post 23560410)
This. Another bit of IAD/Dulles NoVa hating by UA. Why not just shoot us now? Not everyone wants to haul into DCA and there are plenty of us in NoVa who need to get to LI. And with the miserable excuse for flights they now have for IAD-LGA our access to NYC is now limited on UA. Jetblue has killed almost all their IAD-JFK (2x daily), leaving Delta as the only other one on this route. Delta also killed IAD-LGA last year so I am now forced again on a miserable drive into DCA where traffic means I can only take the 6AM out or a flight back after 7PM.

UA flies from NYC to all 3 of DC metro airports, and from IAD to both LGA and EWR, spanning both sides of the river. How exactly is nyc access "limited" ?

Originally Posted by LarkSFO (Post 23559545)
Bottom line: If they kept flying unprofitable routes just to please 'some customers', then we could restart the thread about 'How soon will UA re-enter bankruptcy'.

That sounds a lot like most of AA's non-NRT pacific network ....

HeadInTheClouds Sep 21, 2014 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90 (Post 23559899)

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 23560327)
And of course JFK is where all the premium TCONs go too. Follow the money...the $$$ flows to JFK, thus that's where more premium product goes.

Of course. Premium traffic is not just a reason PS exists @ JFK from the west coast, it is the reason it exists. Why else would UA create a special plane configuration for it, and maintain an entire operating station at an airport they don't otherwise serve? It's as close to a self-evident truth as you can get.

cyborg Sep 21, 2014 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by 787fan (Post 23560542)
UA flies from NYC to all 3 of DC metro airports, and from IAD to both LGA and EWR, spanning both sides of the river. How exactly is nyc access "limited" ?

Eliminating IAD-JFK-IAD is indeed a limitation especially when you consider international flights. As you must be aware, the new United under Co management has eliminated a number of nonstop international flights from IAD.

V/r,

-Cyborg

LETTERBOY Sep 21, 2014 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by Billygreg (Post 23560410)
Another bit of IAD/Dulles NoVa hating by UA. Why not just shoot us now? Not everyone wants to haul into DCA and there are plenty of us in NoVa who need to get to LI.

This is hardly IAD hating. There might be plenty of people who want to fly IAD-JFK, but there aren't enough of you for UA to make $$$ on the route.

Micp3208 Sep 21, 2014 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by cyborg (Post 23560627)
Eliminating IAD-JFK-IAD is indeed a limitation especially when you consider international flights. As you must be aware, the new United under Co management has eliminated a number of nonstop international flights from IAD....

Along the same lines of some flights have been shifted to IAD? I'm not an expert but I remember reading that some time ago.

fly18725 Sep 21, 2014 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21 (Post 23559646)
Or alternatively, constant reductions in the route network continue to push customers to competitors. Maybe the endgame is to shrink United to IAH<->EWR as the only route. I guess it will be profitable....

Like ever other route elimination thread, unless someone has access to detailed financial data AND the tools to understand how each route abandonment impacts the whole system, it is impossible to state route profitability status with any certainty.

The impact of the small number of eliminated routes is being greatly exaggerated. Particularly in this case, when the city pair is still served with multiple other options.