Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA to end JFK-IAD Service, Effective 25 October 2014

UA to end JFK-IAD Service, Effective 25 October 2014

Old Sep 20, 14, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by adambrau View Post
LGA is still a decent substitution given it is like 7 miles away.
JFK has better mass transit options than LGA.

Originally Posted by adambrau View Post
JFK to IAD was a worthless route
Where should UA redeploy the metal to a higher purpose? My guess would be another >1,000 miles on the Devils' Chariot routing.

Originally Posted by lhrsfo View Post
Goodbye PS.
I also fear for the future of the station. If the P.S. metal could make LHR I could see some potentially increased utilization with LAX/SFO-JFK-LHR, as well as upsetting the cosy AA/BA JFK TATL applecart.

SunLover
Old Sep 20, 14, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post
...so much for access to P.S. flights...
Seems like not enough people figure it's worth it to fly between IAD and JFK just to catch p.s. flights. Adds hours to the trip. Sort of like flying from LA to/from SFO just to fly a better plane to Honolulu. Not worth it. As mentioned earlier, makes sense to add p.s. w/ additional slots. And not enough business travelers between NYC and IAD that demand JFK vs EWR.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Sep 20, 14 at 5:26 pm
Old Sep 20, 14, 5:21 pm

Is ps in jeopardy without the IAD feed, downward pressure on fares in the market, and a new hub across the river? Me thinks not, but would like to hear from those better informed.
Old Sep 20, 14, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by fly18725 View Post
The was, and continues to be, a NYC sUA crew base. I would suspect some crews were going the other direction, e.g. NYC-base sCO going to IAD to work flights on 757s to Europe.
For the most part WTA (Washington-Dulles TATL) FA base work the sCO international flights out of IAD. The flights requiring the speakers those FAs are typically NLS (Newark Language Speaker) FA based and work a 6 day trip ie EWR - MAD - IAD - MAD - EWR. The ORD - EDI - ORD trips which is an NTA (Newark Transatlantic) FA base trip are deadheaded between EWR - ORD - EWR and work ORD - EDI - ORD.
Old Sep 20, 14, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by SunLover View Post
JFK has better mass transit options than LGA.
True but Newark has good public transit options. I was thinking more about people who live on Long Island where getting to EWR is a pain - getting to LGA is just about as easy JFK in terms of distance.

Where should UA redeploy the metal to a higher purpose? My guess would be another >1,000 miles on the Devils' Chariot routing.
Retire these planes.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 20, 14 at 7:09 pm Reason: fix mangled quotes
Old Sep 20, 14, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K(until 2022), MM *G for life, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver

I also fear for the future of the station. If the P.S. metal could make LHR I could see some potentially increased utilization with LAX/SFO-JFK-LHR, as well as upsetting the cosy AA/BA JFK TATL applecart.

SunLover
That seems unlikely as they sold down their slots at LHR and I can't see them buying back in at the current prices. The most recent purchase was in June with AA paying $31m for a single slot pair.
Old Sep 20, 14, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by anc-ord772 View Post
Is ps in jeopardy without the IAD feed, downward pressure on fares in the market, and a new hub across the river? Me thinks not, but would like to hear from those better informed.
JFK-LAX/SFO are large markets with plenty of opportunity for success without feed in JFK.
Old Sep 20, 14, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
had a BAH-IAD-JFK-LAX in the middle of november. i specifically wanted p.s..

have no fear! UA to the rescue and it got changed to this:

a previous schedule change created an orphaned segment; when my ticket was reissued, the p.s. segment went from a W fare to a K fare.

any ideas for how i should approach rebooking? i'd like to stay on p.s.
Old Sep 20, 14, 6:21 pm

EWR is not JFK

1. I used to fly out of JFK when I lived on Long Island. Now I am in New Jersey and fly from EWR. EWR has better parking. I haven't used the air train recently, but felt public transit was equivalent. I don't understand the dislike of EWR.

2. JFK and EWR effectively serve two different geographical areas. So this is an exit from a market, like cutting service to CLE doesn't really mean much to CMH. The only overlap is Manhattan which is important. I imagine Manhattan folks view the airports as equivalent and choose flights based on other criteria.

3. Why would folks in Houston choose JFK as a gateway over Miami, Toronto, or Chicago? It's not obvious that this significantly reduces acess to * alliance flights. It is only suggestive.

All of the above suggests UA's retreat from JFK is a not a big problem. But a shareholder should ask how UA is going to increase in value by retreating. Maybe they are shrinking until they improve operations?
Old Sep 20, 14, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by lhrsfo View Post
That seems unlikely as they sold down their slots at LHR and I can't see them buying back in at the current prices. The most recent purchase was in June with AA paying $31m for a single slot pair.
Unfortunately the current P.S. metal is sUA 757's which can not make JFK-LHR. And I agree any new ???-LHR city pair service would have to be at the expense of some other existing routings slot(s).

SunLover
Old Sep 20, 14, 7:05 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat, UA MM *G, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, IC Ambassador
LOL, Someone has edited the JFK Airport page at Wikipedia to list the ending of JFK-IAD service using this thread as the source.
Old Sep 20, 14, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Good. Can we now make EWR-SFO a ps flight? That would make my life suck less ...
Old Sep 20, 14, 8:31 pm

Programs: Continental
It used to be, as CO 10 years ago.
Great service, and food...now just a 757 int.
Old Sep 20, 14, 8:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
DL and AA must be loving this UA peace-offering.

The US industry cartel's big 3 kingpins are playing nicely with each other, and this would seem to be yet another move in that regard.
Old Sep 20, 14, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA1K .6MM
JFK-LAX/SFO are large high-profile markets and the talk of impending withdrawl is overblown, in my opinion. This change may hamper some remote re-routing possibilities, but that's not nearly enough reason to keep this one around.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: