Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA to end JFK-IAD Service, Effective 25 October 2014

UA to end JFK-IAD Service, Effective 25 October 2014

Old Sep 20, 14, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
That's too bad as it was personally a good way to connect to PS when desired. I'm guessing UA felt that the codeshare tickets they were selling through JFK wasn't enough to justify the operation as it had in the past. A darn shame
Old Sep 20, 14, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, UA Plat, SPG Plat
This could be related to the EMB120 and RJ145 drawdown. Less RJ equipment is available so routes which don't make a big impact on the network (and don't make sense with larger planes) have to go.

I actually flew the route a few days ago - the first, and apparently now last, time.
Old Sep 20, 14, 3:44 pm

On the one hand, I understand why UA wants to minimize presence at one of 3 NYC airport when it has a fortress hub at EWR (as certain Jersey people would say, "nothing personal, just business").

On the other hand, would be nice to have more presence at JFK due to a vast amount of *A flights at JFK, so as to make the network truly outstanding. Unless, of course, if UA can convince all their partners to switch from JFK to EWR, which I know ain't happening. (But of course, UA tends to reward those who fly UA metal more, so this point maybe moot).
Old Sep 20, 14, 3:46 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
This really is annoying.... A number of quality Star Alliance partners fly from JFK but not from IAD (SQ, Swiss, Asiana, EVA ... )- and now connecting to those flights would require a completely separate ticket on another carrier.
Old Sep 20, 14, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by dsauch View Post
her reasoning was: "if you wanted a non-stop you would have bought a non-stop". And - "we have other alternatives".
I was not going to argue with her - just glad she didnt put notes in my PNR and second rep was much nicer.
In the same vein - if I wanted to fly from LGA I would have bought LGA...
That's pretty bnoxious. You wanted to fly from JFK so that's what you bought.
Old Sep 20, 14, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA GS 3.87MM
Beginning of the end for UA @ JFK

JFK doesn't fit in the UA future, where everyone will have to drive to Newark. Only a matter of time til they move PS to EWR and kill JFK entirely. When UA could get away charging $5,000 for r/t PS service to SFO/LAX, they could justify the route. Now that PS BF fares are down to $2,000 r/t, and it is a "me too" product, this route is vulnerable to a management team that measures loyalty by days. No way they can get the same traffic as others who have good connecting service to other cities in the Northeast. Think about the cost savings from shutting JFK and moving it to EWR. Massive. You know Rainey is all over this move.

My 2 cents prediction: UA at JFK is toast by the end of 2015. And I love this service and crew. United's finest. No way am I driving to EWR.

Last edited by dkc715; Sep 20, 14 at 3:59 pm
Old Sep 20, 14, 3:52 pm

UA never really properly served this market (or JFK after 9/11 and then the final kill off of LHR and NRT) - who wants to fly on a CR2 when there are so many other better options? With the hub at Newark you can get most places nonstop. LGA is still a decent substitution given it is like 7 miles away. JFK to IAD was a worthless route, and one I am not in the slightest bit sad to see go.
Old Sep 20, 14, 3:53 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
Originally Posted by goalie View Post
That really sucks as IAD-JFK (and vv) was a nice "out" under irrops at either airport. So does that leave JFK with only PS flights as the only UA presence?
Yes

Bigger question - what happens to those slots? Doubt they add PS frequency.
Does it make a difference if the IAD-JFK flights (& vv) were all UX as opposed to UA mainline in terms of slots or is it all considered UA? I don't know but again, under irrops, there was a 7pm (roughly) JFK-IAD flight which would connect to the 10pm(ish) IAD-SFO flight* and several IAD-JFK morning flights which would connect JFK-SFO (or JFK-LAX-SFO). And then there's folks who would fly IAD-JFK to connect to TATL *A partner flights and vv. Total fail in my book

*tho something is telling me that this flight is also gone

Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
Seriously. Why the never-ending pushback on the most obvious substitutions?
Agreed and feh

Originally Posted by Always Flyin View Post
Yeah, enjoy EWR.

Not a win in my book.
Agreed and feh (redux)
Old Sep 20, 14, 3:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by yevlesh2 View Post
This really is annoying.... A number of quality Star Alliance partners fly from JFK but not from IAD (SQ, Swiss, Asiana, EVA ... )- and now connecting to those flights would require a completely separate ticket on another carrier.
You may be onto something there... UA doesn't want folks to discover how much better the other *A airlines can be. I suppose at least there's OS at IAD, still.
Old Sep 20, 14, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by dkc715 View Post
JFK doesn't fit in the UA future, where everyone will have to drive to Newark. Only a matter of time til they move PS to EWR and kill JFK entirely. When UA could get away charging $5,000 for r/t PS service to SFO/LAX, they could justify the route. Now that PS BF fares are down to $2,000 r/t, and it is a "me too" product, this route is vulnerable to a management team that measures loyalty by days. No way they can get the same traffic as others who have good connecting service to other cities in the Northeast. Think about the cost savings from shutting JFK and moving it to EWR. Massive. You know Rainey is all over this move.

My 2 cents prediction: UA at JFK is toast by the end of 2015. And I love this service. No way am I driving to EWR.
For those of us that remember the days when UA had

JFK-NRT, JFK-LHR, JFK-HKG, JFK-BOS, JFK-ORD, etc this is very sad news.
There was a time when UA occupied the entire central check in area in Terminal 7, now occupied by Iberia, Cathay, Qantas and a few others, as well as connector to Terminal 6 ( now demolished)

That said, the JFK-IAD flight served a good alternative to LGA for people that were flying out of Dulles to International destinations not served by EWR. There are a few, mostly in the middle east. Flying out JFK opened up the possibility of credible backup plans, via LH and LX if UA caved. All the UA departures to Europe leaves at roughly the same time, only LH and LX at JFK has really late flights, that leave at 10-11PM. There are no intl flights out of LGA to Europe.

The people at route planning i suppose didn't bother to consider that.
Old Sep 20, 14, 4:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by blug View Post
I always thought it was an odd route. JFK to nowhere else, no ORD, IAH, but IAD.
It made sense pre-merger to help get passengers to the long-haul flights ex-IAD. Now it makes a lot less sense. Doubly so with the draw-down of smaller regional flights.

Originally Posted by meFIRST View Post
That said, the JFK-IAD flight served a good alternative to LGA for people that were flying out of Dulles to International destinations not served by EWR. There are a few, mostly in the middle east. Flying out JFK opened up the possibility of credible backup plans, via LH and LX if UA caved. All the UA departures to Europe leaves at roughly the same time, only LH and LX at JFK has really late flights, that leave at 10-11PM. There are no intl flights out of LGA to Europe.

The people at route planning i suppose didn't bother to consider that.
If you're connecting onward past IAD then you need to be on the 14:25 ex-JFK, not the 19:30. The similarly timed LGA flight still gives time to get to JFK for either the early or the late Europe departures if needed.
Originally Posted by yevlesh2 View Post
Most of those offer interline connections on other partners. You can do it on a single ticket, just not on UA+partner.
Old Sep 20, 14, 4:23 pm

Also I should note that since the merger the JFK-IAD effectively almost at certain times served as a UAL crew shuttle. Since the ps planes were effectively PMUA, UA had to sometimes shuttle people from IAD to work the flights, via you guessed it , JFK-IAD.

I wonder if this has anything to do with that?

Also, since only PMUA crews can work the ps flights, I wonder how does this affect the reliability of the ps flights?

To work some of the pmUA flights to Europe, UA had to fly people in. LOL.

Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
It made sense pre-merger to help get passengers to the long-haul flights ex-IAD. Now it makes a lot less sense. Doubly so with the draw-down of smaller regional flights.

If you're connecting onward past IAD then you need to be on the 14:25 ex-JFK, not the 19:30. The similarly timed LGA flight still gives time to get to JFK for either the early or the late Europe departures if needed.

Most of those offer interline connections on other partners. You can do it on a single ticket, just not on UA+partner.
sbm12, ...{unneeded comment removed} in this instance you are wrong.

If you are going to DXB after the DOH fight drops, those flights leave at 10PM now, so why would I want to take the 2:30PM JFK-IAD flight?. The 7:30PM flight fits nicely. If UA caves, there is a 10PM to FRA on LH and other possibilities. ( EK notwithstanding)

Now if I were to leave from EWR, the 7:30PM leave right at the SAME TIME the last flight to Frankfurt leaves, leaving me stuck at EWR. Oh well.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 20, 14 at 7:05 pm Reason: multi-quoute and unneeded comment removed
Old Sep 20, 14, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K(until 2022), MM *G for life, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
Goodbye PS.
Old Sep 20, 14, 5:06 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
Won't help with award redemptions however...

Wonder what they will use the extra 4 slots for? Extra PS frequencies?

Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Old Sep 20, 14, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by meFIRST View Post
Also I should note that since the merger the JFK-IAD effectively almost at certain times served as a UAL crew shuttle. Since the ps planes were effectively PMUA, UA had to sometimes shuttle people from IAD to work the flights, via you guessed it , JFK-IAD.

I wonder if this has anything to do with that?

Also, since only PMUA crews can work the ps flights, I wonder how does this affect the reliability of the ps flights?

To work some of the pmUA flights to Europe, UA had to fly people in. LOL.
The was, and continues to be, a NYC sUA crew base. I would suspect some crews were going the other direction, e.g. NYC-base sCO going to IAD to work flights on 757s to Europe.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: