Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA to end JFK-IAD Service, Effective 25 October 2014

UA to end JFK-IAD Service, Effective 25 October 2014

Old Jan 8, 15, 7:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
Looking at award flights for next year, I see availability on JFK-IST or JFK-VIE that I wouldn't mind taking but of course there's no way to get from RDU to JFK on United anymore thanks to the axing of IAD-JFK. UA helpfully offers me RDU-EWR, JFK-IST/VIE with between 3-4 hours to connect between the two at my expense
rdu-sfo-jfk?
Old Jan 9, 15, 4:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP75K, UA Gold
Originally Posted by travel.flier View Post
rdu-sfo-jfk?
if you're going over in C/F, that isn't a bad way to get there.
Old Jan 9, 15, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL PM, UA Gold, WN A-List, HH DIA, Hyatt Disc, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by travel.flier View Post
rdu-sfo-jfk?
Originally Posted by haddon90 View Post
if you're going over in C/F, that isn't a bad way to get there.
It's a thought, though the earliest you can get to JFK is 7:33 PM (and that's with a 55 minute SFO connection). JFK-VIE is at 6:00 PM.
Old Jan 9, 15, 5:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, United Plat (2018:Gold), Marriott Pyrite
To connect to your JFK-VIE flight, would they let you do RDU-IAD/ORD-LGA? LGA-JFK over land is theoretically easier (and cheaper) than from EWR, but never having done the connection myself, I can't say if it really is.

I had an April IAD-JFK-SFO-HKG flight (in W, with available R-space on PS, and GPU expiring end of the month)...perfect. Then you know what happened. Ugh. But worked in my favor, since had to change return date. I got the ticket refunded and rebooked. (Which works toward my PQD waiver, since my original purchase was not UA Visa.) Still ended up taking the same route, but taking DCA-JFK on DL. Up front, to avoid baggage fees...price ended up being the same as coach+2 bags.
Old Jan 9, 15, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL PM, UA Gold, WN A-List, HH DIA, Hyatt Disc, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wh6cto View Post
To connect to your JFK-VIE flight, would they let you do RDU-IAD/ORD-LGA? LGA-JFK over land is theoretically easier (and cheaper) than from EWR, but never having done the connection myself, I can't say if it really is.
I'd feel a lot better about RDU-IAD-LGA especially on the first flights of the day because as you said, it's far easier (and cheaper) to get between the two. What I may end up doing is just starting the trip from JFK and buying a ticket on AA/B6/DL. Or from IAD and a ticket on US into DCA. Far easier then dealing with any other nonsense.
Old Jun 16, 15, 11:02 am

Programs: Delta Gold, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMEX Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by dkc715 View Post
JFK doesn't fit in the UA future, where everyone will have to drive to Newark. Only a matter of time til they move PS to EWR and kill JFK entirely. When UA could get away charging $5,000 for r/t PS service to SFO/LAX, they could justify the route. Now that PS BF fares are down to $2,000 r/t, and it is a "me too" product, this route is vulnerable to a management team that measures loyalty by days. No way they can get the same traffic as others who have good connecting service to other cities in the Northeast. Think about the cost savings from shutting JFK and moving it to EWR. Massive. You know Rainey is all over this move.

My 2 cents prediction: UA at JFK is toast by the end of 2015. And I love this service and crew. United's finest. No way am I driving to EWR.
Good prediction
Old Jun 16, 15, 11:15 am
Senior Moderator/Moderator: Coronavirus, United MileagePlus

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
And given today's news by UA that it is discontinuing all use of JFK, let's discuss this further within this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...oning-ewr.html

Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: