FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA to end JFK-IAD Service, Effective 25 October 2014 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1614354-ua-end-jfk-iad-service-effective-25-october-2014-a.html)

entropy Sep 23, 2014 7:58 am

10 pages...
seriously, who cares? its a couple of CR2's a day.

exerda Sep 23, 2014 9:39 am

Originally Posted by entropy (Post 23568485)

Obviously, a fair number of people care, particularly those who flew the route with any regularity. And I can understand their frustration.

Frankly, I was never a huge fan of the IAD-JFK flights as they were poorly-timed for p.s. connections IME, and I typically used DCA-LGA or IAD-LGA as my o/d pair if going to NYC. But I certainly can understand why this really galls some people.

Always Flyin Sep 23, 2014 9:49 am

Originally Posted by username (Post 23562177)
I wonder if they look at profitability by single routes (and use some kind of mileage-pro-rated allocation for connections) OR they actually think about the impact network.

Originally Posted by entropy (Post 23568485)
10 pages...

When I flew IAD-JFK (UA), JFK-ZRH (LX), I cared.

Keep in mind that just because it is not important to you does not mean that it is not important to others.

FiveMileFinal Sep 23, 2014 10:01 am

The CR2s on JFK-IAD vv were what made me swear off regional jets entirely!

This should be a surprise to exactly no one - if they can't print money on the route, it gets cut.

787fan Sep 23, 2014 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Always Flyin (Post 23568990)

Keep in mind that just because it is not important to you does not mean that it is not important to others.

LX flies EWR-ZRH too so just switch to IAD-EWR-ZRH no biggie

HeadInTheClouds Sep 23, 2014 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Always Flyin (Post 23568990)

Certainly everything is important to someone. But from the tales of those who are being affected in here, almost none of this sounds like particularly profitable behavior to United.

Inconvenient routings to upgrade PS flights when perfectly good nonstops are available, inconvenient routings to partner flights when nonstops are frequently available on UA metal (your example here), etc. And these flights were so poorly operated that much of this involved rerouting to other carriers and taxis to EWR, etc.

If UA@JFK can just focus on the very profitable PS flights, it probably will be just fine. Doesn't sound like UA has much reason to regret its decision I'm sorry to say.

uastarflyer Sep 23, 2014 10:41 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 23555274)
Quote:

Originally Posted by goalie

That really sucks as IAD-JFK (and vv) was a nice "out" under irrops at either airport. So does that leave JFK with only PS flights as the only UA presence?

Yes

Bigger question - what happens to those slots? Doubt they add PS frequency.

JFK-GUM

787fan Sep 23, 2014 11:44 am

Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds (Post 23569255)
inconvenient routings to partner flights when nonstops are frequently available on UA metal (your example here), etc. And these flights were so poorly operated that much of this involved rerouting to other carriers and taxis to EWR, etc.

Not to mention only ANA and AC co-locates with UA at JFK T-7, so nearly all Star connections involve exiting T-7, taking the AirTrain, and re-clearing TSA security at T1 or T4, which is anything but hassle-free and seamless.

Fanjet Sep 23, 2014 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by 787fan (Post 23569637)
Not to mention only ANA and AC co-locates with UA at JFK T-7, so nearly all Star connections involve exiting T-7, taking the AirTrain, and re-clearing TSA security at T1 or T4, which is anything but hassle-free and seamless.

Both of which have nonstops flights out of IAD. As has been posted earlier, I don't think this route brought in much revenue for UA versus the costs of operating it.

andrewwm Sep 23, 2014 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Fanjet (Post 23571289)
Both of which have nonstops flights out of IAD. As has been posted earlier, I don't think this route brought in much revenue for UA versus the costs of operating it.

Right, as posted upthread, it existed back in the day to feed IAD longhaul flights from JFK area.

Anyone paying real money (like GS type spend) for transcon flights is going to value their time enough to not route IAD-sit around JFK for 2-3 hours-PS flight. They'll just take a non-stop from DC area to the West coast.

whlinder Sep 23, 2014 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by 787fan (Post 23564409)
They reside in the same county, and are only 13 miles apart. Other than an artificial restriction of perimeter, they serve exactly the same catchment area.

Not disagreeing (market definition can be whatever you want it to be), but some airlines treat them as different markets. It's certainly not unheard of.

edcho Sep 24, 2014 4:27 am

Very sad to see this go but not surprised (doesn't make much sense for PS flights to me either). Like a previous poster said, it helped a lot during IRROPS or even an SDC (got a few co-term changes that way).

Always Flyin Sep 24, 2014 4:39 am

Reading this thread, it appears I am supposed to be thankful United dropped this route.

Perhaps I should send in a request that they drop a few more?

RobOnLI Sep 24, 2014 6:15 am

What UA should do is bring PS service to ex-IAD routes like SFO/LAX (and my personal preference to SEA). But I would imagine EWR would get the PS service before IAD.

-RM

kkg Sep 24, 2014 6:25 am

Originally Posted by RobOnLI (Post 23573608)
What UA should do is bring PS service to ex-IAD routes like SFO/LAX

Second that. The elimination of JFK-IAD makes it impossible for me to experience the PS flights...