Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Recent experiences with SSSS for the UA traveler {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2024, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Recent experiences with SSSS for the UA traveler?
Print Wikipost

Recent experiences with SSSS for the UA traveler {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: UA Gold
I have GE and got SSSS recently in Brussels when I did a very weird itinerary. DEN-ORD-LHR-TLS-BRU-IAD-DEN. The week before I had done DEN-IAH-SCL-YYZ-DEN. I haven't seen it since but haven't been out of the country but suspect it won't be an issue going forward.

Last edited by Coskigirl; Oct 18, 2017 at 11:41 am Reason: Added detail for clarity
Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Had the same thing happen a couple of weeks ago. Only change in travel pattern was a purchased one-way ticket to the Middle East 2 months ago. After dialog with GE (after the fact), the anecdotal feedback was that MIGHT of had an impact. No way to truly know however.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I've gotten SSSS'd in FRA while being enrolled in Global Entry.

Originally Posted by Jimbo
I am five year member of Global Entry and a UA MM flyer.
Neither of these are particularly relevant to SSSS.

I probably make at least a dozen international arrivals in the US annually since I've held Global Entry status
Global Entry is not a status.

If this is the case, it does not make sense and perhaps indicative of security systems that do not talk to each other.
They're not intended or implemented to.

Upon arrival at LAX, I used the Global Entry kiosks and everything worked normally and was hassle free.
Global Entry working has nothing to do with SSSS.

Can any forum members comment on the apparent discord between having Global Entry status and being subjected to additional scrutiny by getting the dreaded SSSS BP?
There's no discord here. You've invented a link where there isn't and hasn't been one.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by mduell
They're not intended or implemented to.
Why do you believe this to be the case? It seems pretty stupid for DHS not to pay attention to facts they know about you as they figure out who to target for additional screening.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Most people on FT and those that have GE are traveling more, therefore if it is truly random, we probably get more than an average number of SSSS as we travel far more than others.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
got SSSS 3 times this year ex-Europe. It sucks. GE or not ... it happens.
Now, 1 time I was flying via the FCT in FRA ... it was inconsequential
Old Oct 18, 2017, 6:55 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
I, too am in GE and am MM and have received an SSSS. I assume this is because there is more than one reason for getting it. In addition to the suspicion factors (e.g., one way cash ticket, etc.), it is only logical that at least some people are selected for SSSS just at random. This provides a control sample that allows TSA to evaluate whether its suspicion factors actually are indicative of a greater likelihood of finding contraband on a PAX. It is the same with the IRS. While most people are selected for an audit based on some suspicious figures on their 1040, there is a group that is selected simply at random. This is so that the IRS can determine whether tax returns that don't show any red flags are more or less likely to be accurate than ones that do show such flags.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1mm, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
My wife got the SSSS two weeks ago departing Bucharest. We were together. Both are 6 yr.+ GE, both million milers with identical travels. I did not get the SSSS. When we got back to States, she got the "X" on her GE form at the kiosk. CBP agent just initialed it and we were on our way. I think her SSSS was completely random and maybe the "X" at Global Entry was unrelated to the SSSS. Neither of us has ever gotten the SSSS traveling domestically.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 10:24 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Twice this calendar year: SSSS on both legs SIN-HKG-ORD. 4MM GS with GE.

It happens. Not happy, but better than getting it on domestic US flights.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 10:27 pm

Programs: United Premier 1k, Hertz Presidents Circle, Hilton Diamond
I got it at ZRH-EWR, they did additional screening at the gate but no difference at immigration or customs.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 5:38 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Got it at GVA yesterday. A colleague also did. In both cases, it was our first return international trip after renewing TSA-Pre. Maybe that's coincidence.

About 10% of the flight got the SSSS.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 6:24 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Got SSSS on the TXL-EWR leg of a TXL-IAH flight, but not on the EWR-IAH leg.. The annoying thing was that SSSS apparently cancels out TSA Pre on following legs, so that I almost missed my connection in EWR due to getting stuck in the non-Pre line after customs.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 6:34 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
Got it at GVA yesterday. A colleague also did. In both cases, it was our first return international trip after renewing TSA-Pre. Maybe that's coincidence.

About 10% of the flight got the SSSS.
Even if a flight passenger mix were 10%, 20%, 30% GE/TSA PreCheck members, the fraction of the flight passengers flagged that way remains more or less the same. Being a new, old or renewed DHS program member doesn't change that.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
It is an observation. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by itsMoe
Got SSSS on the TXL-EWR leg of a TXL-IAH flight, but not on the EWR-IAH leg.. The annoying thing was that SSSS apparently cancels out TSA Pre on following legs, so that I almost missed my connection in EWR due to getting stuck in the non-Pre line after customs.
Did your BP on the app not show PC once you got to EWR or did you only use the paper one printed in Berlin?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.