Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Recent experiences with SSSS for the UA traveler?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2024, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Recent experiences with SSSS for the UA traveler?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2023, 12:11 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by nexus7556
Just hit a third SSSS within two years on a CDG-SFO flight. Any insights why this flight keeps triggering SSSS for me while other routes are ok?

edit: Flying CDG-FRA-SFO on LH hasn’t been a problem. It seems it’s exclusively United on this route that is a problem for me.
Originally Posted by TomMM
Three within two years ain't bad. I went through a 12 month period where I got 4 departing from various airports, LHR, VIE, FRA and ZRH.
I agree with TomMM - once you start getting it every trip, or almost every trip, is when you need to start “worrying”.

Ex-EU it’s not that big of a deal. It sucks a lot more getting it on domestic US routes
Xyzzy and lsquare like this.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 12:17 pm

Programs: Continental
Do you have global entry?
Old Feb 26, 2023, 12:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hockey7711
Do you have global entry?
IME, GE does not immune you from SSSS. That is what a Redress Number is for.
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 12:46 pm

Programs: Continental
Yes, I have it but get ssss at fra sometimes too.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
Got the dreaded SSSS for a UA FRA-IAD a month ago after a slightly tight connection from LHR. Unusually for my past experience, this time the whole process took only 5 minutes as there was no wait and they only took explosive swabs, and did not open each bag and go through the contents thoroughly.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It doesn't. I have GE and still got SSSS ex-SIN.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 4:07 pm

Got the SSSS flying MUC-SFO, only indication was that I couldn't check in online. Prepared for the worst, but all I got were some questions about where I was staying and who packed my bag. Everything else was normal, maybe they forgot to search my stuff or swab my hands.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 4:13 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by lsquare
It doesn't. I have GE and still got SSSS ex-SIN.
The last three out of four times ex-SIN I have received SSSS. And I am GS and have GE.
lsquare and bmwe92fan like this.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA GS
Last week, got SSSS ZRH-EWR, have GE..They only swabbed hands and carry on luggage. The tip off that I was selected for additional screening should have been the inability to check in online.
This was a one way (EU-US) award flight book about 6 days before. Not sure if the fact it was one way and/or relatively late booking had anything to do with getting SSSS.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 3:19 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nexus7556
Just hit a third SSSS within two years on a CDG-SFO flight. Any insights why this flight keeps triggering SSSS for me while other routes are ok?

edit: Flying CDG-FRA-SFO on LH hasn’t been a problem. It seems it’s exclusively United on this route that is a problem for me.
well I’m done complaint about SSSS ex-CDG. Since moving to T1 It is no longer done during boarding. There is a nice secondary screening area near the gate that opens 2H before the flight. It’s the same staff who checked me multiple times at the gate, they remembered me graciously welcomed me back
Old Feb 28, 2023, 1:22 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Neither GE nor Redress numbers immunize passengers from SSSS hits on UA's Europe-US flights -- actually neither such numbers immunize passengers from SSSS hits on any US-bound flights subject to USG requirements for SSSS.

For those UA passengers who seem to only get hit by SSSS when flying UA service on one or multiple UA routes to the US but not across the board during the same period of time when flying other carriers to the US, then those SSSS hits are most often a direct function of of UA's arrangements with the security contractors UA is using for the SSSS flagging for that UA airport/grouping of airports.

If the SSSS hits are more airline agnostic -- not limited to UA -- but seem nested together from a particular European gateway airport to the US, and it's a CBP airport with IAP or something like IAP, then its probably CBP-driven more than UA/UA contractor-driven selection.

Originally Posted by PBAudit
Last week, got SSSS ZRH-EWR, have GE..They only swabbed hands and carry on luggage. The tip off that I was selected for additional screening should have been the inability to check in online.
This was a one way (EU-US) award flight book about 6 days before. Not sure if the fact it was one way and/or relatively late booking had anything to do with getting SSSS.
The vast majority of my EU/Schengen-US flights are on one-way tickets -- most typically bought within well less than 36 hours of scheduled departure -- and, for at least the last several years, I have a much, much lower SSSS hit ratio on such flights than I used to on round-trip tickets. I've gone nearly 3 years without personally getting hit by SSSS on any of my US-bound flights. But I hope not to jinx myself by noting this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 28, 2023 at 1:29 am
Old Feb 28, 2023, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Neither GE nor Redress numbers immunize passengers from SSSS hits on UA's Europe-US flights -- actually neither such numbers immunize passengers from SSSS hits on any US-bound flights subject to USG requirements for SSSS.

For those UA passengers who seem to only get hit by SSSS when flying UA service on one or multiple UA routes to the US but not across the board during the same period of time when flying other carriers to the US, then those SSSS hits are most often a direct function of of UA's arrangements with the security contractors UA is using for the SSSS flagging for that UA airport/grouping of airports.

If the SSSS hits are more airline agnostic -- not limited to UA -- but seem nested together from a particular European gateway airport to the US, and it's a CBP airport with IAP or something like IAP, then its probably CBP-driven more than UA/UA contractor-driven selection.

The vast majority of my EU/Schengen-US flights are on one-way tickets -- most typically bought within well less than 36 hours of scheduled departure -- and, for at least the last several years, I have a much, much lower SSSS hit ratio on such flights than I used to on round-trip tickets. I've gone nearly 3 years without personally getting hit by SSSS on any of my US-bound flights. But I hope not to jinx myself by noting this.
I wouldn't have said it if I were you...
Old Mar 20, 2023, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
The other day, traveling TPE-SFO-BOS. I tried to check-in on-line, but received a message I'd have to check-in at the airport. Sure enough, checking-in at the airport I had SSSS on my TPE-SFO BP; the SFO-BOS did not, but I was not granted pre-check. Nor did I have mobile BPs. And on the SFO-BOS segment, my KTN would not "stick." At the gate in TPE, the search consisted of a very quick swab of my belt and luggage; once the swab came back clean, I was allowed to board. All of this happened during pre-boarding, so it was pretty easy.

Once in the air, using the in-flight WiFi, I was able to add the KTN, and then the mobile BP appeared with pre-check.

Once we landed in SFO, there was zero wait for the new paperless Global Entry (face scan), and I zoomed through pre-check security. All-in-all, not a big deal getting SSSS on this trip.
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 6:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I got the dreaded SSSS on a return flight from Germany. The only annoyance was that when I arrived in the US, I realized that my connecting boarding pass didn't have the usual "TSK pre-check" on it. I checked with staff in the UC, and they could see no other reason why it had fallen off my reservation but for the SSSS on the the first leg of my journey.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 6:55 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by halls120
I got the dreaded SSSS on a return flight from Germany. The only annoyance was that when I arrived in the US, I realized that my connecting boarding pass didn't have the usual "TSK pre-check" on it. I checked with staff in the UC, and they could see no other reason why it had fallen off my reservation but for the SSSS on the the first leg of my journey.
This seems to be consistent. If you get S*4 on an international leg, the following domestic won't have pre-check, but it can be put back after the international leg is in the air by re-adding the KTN.
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.