Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Recent experiences with SSSS for the UA traveler?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2024, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Recent experiences with SSSS for the UA traveler?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2022, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by fumje
I've only ever had SSSS to US, even though I believe it can happen both ways. The thoroughness of the search depends on where you are. Once you get to US no difference, except you probably won't be able to get precheck back on connecting BP. Yes, the suppression of digital BP is related to SSSS. Although my memory is once you board the flight with the SSSS (i.e. once that coupon is lifted), you could get it by redoing check-in. Have you tried that?

Getting it once is nothing to fuss about, just annoying. Usually your next trip will be fine. If you get it, say three times in a row, then perhaps time to write in for redress.

thread: Recent experiences with SSSS for the UA traveler?
I'm nowhere near the US yet. I'm still somewhere over the Pacific Ocean. You know what's crazy? I was reading a fellow FTer's post about getting SSSS at SIN and 24 hours later, I get hit with it.

My search was about as thorough as it gets. Everything was taken out and laid on the table. The agent swabbed everything. I even saw that tool (don't know what it's called) touch the cash in my wallet. How do I redo the check-in now? I don't see it in the app.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm nowhere near the US yet. I'm still somewhere over the Pacific Ocean. You know what's crazy? I was reading a fellow FTer's post about getting SSSS at SIN and 24 hours later, I get hit with it.

My search was about as thorough as it gets. Everything was taken out and laid on the table. The agent swabbed everything. I even saw that tool (don't know what it's called) touch the cash in my wallet. How do I redo the check-in now? I don't see it in the app.
Yes when I had it at SIN it was similar, open everything, swab every zipper, etc. At FRA it was pretty painless.

In the app if you don't see the button for check-in, initiate it manually by tapping the three-dots 'more' (or I think hamburger bar on android), then scroll to 'check-in', then type in the confirmation/name.
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 9:14 am
DEN

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
After the initial 9/11 frenzy, , the “”SSSS” mark of the beast seems to to show up up randomly for inbound to the US flights. I travel to the Middle East a number of times a year and I’d guess I get it maybe once every year or two but still quite random. Once you clear the extra security at the departure airport, I’ve never had it appear on another continuing flight boarding pass and never have I been questioned entering the US at Immigrations.

Unless you are flagged for some reason, I’d chalk this up to an entirely random event and consider it a minor inconvenience.

DEN
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nexus7556
I just had SSSS on my 4/19 flight from CDG to SFO. As soon as I realized I felt utter dread since the last time I had this (2018 GRU to EWR), the screening took 30+ minutes and I was last on the plane despite being 1K.

This time I arrived at the gate, and there was a GS agent (golden scarf) and I checked in with her, told her I was 1K and had SSSS, and confirmed that secondary screening would be on the jet bridge. Just asking this was enough for her to offer to start the screening immediately before boarding began so I could pre-board. Screening was very quick and I was the first on the plane. I think this is the absolute best possible outcome. This may be my best United experience in the 5 years I've been flying with them 😅

What is strange is I've only been flagged for SSSS on UA flights, never on any ANA, LH, EVA, or PAL flights.
Same! I got hit with an SSSS today.

Originally Posted by laughinlab2001
I won the SSSS lotto a few times on international trips (FWIW, always on the return side of the equation (CDG-ORD and GRU-ORD)). The worst part was missing the Pre-Check clearance on the domestic connection.

I always hold my breath when checking in for my return flight to the US; Lady Luck was on my side today (no SSSS on FRA-SFO for tomorrow, 4/22)!
Interesting comment. Me too! No SSSS when leaving the US!

Yes when I had it at SIN it was similar, open everything, swab every zipper, etc. At FRA it was pretty painless.

In the app if you don't see the button for check-in, initiate it manually by tapping the three-dots 'more' (or I think hamburger bar on android), then scroll to 'check-in', then type in the confirmation/name.
The timing is just weird. Maybe I'm just looking for a connection, but funny how I was reading about SSSS yesterday and then I get hit with it today.

Originally Posted by DEN
After the initial 9/11 frenzy, , the “”SSSS” mark of the beast seems to to show up up randomly for inbound to the US flights. I travel to the Middle East a number of times a year and I’d guess I get it maybe once every year or two but still quite random. Once you clear the extra security at the departure airport, I’ve never had it appear on another continuing flight boarding pass and never have I been questioned entering the US at Immigrations.

Unless you are flagged for some reason, I’d chalk this up to an entirely random event and consider it a minor inconvenience.

DEN
For the ME, I can understand. Are there security concerns from any of UA's Asian destinations?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 10, 2022 at 10:28 am Reason: merge consecutive posts by same member
Old Nov 10, 2022, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The timing is just weird. Maybe I'm just looking for a connection, but funny how I was reading about SSSS yesterday and then I get hit with it today.

For the ME, I can understand. Are there security concerns from any of UA's Asian destinations?
I do believe you misapprehend how this part works: overlap between SSSS and legitimate security concern is vanishingly small.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 10:35 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I was hit with SSSS on UA 59 FRA-SFO last month after connecting from MXP on LH. No history travel to "high risk" areas. It was more like a manual non-PreCHeck screening -- tool maybe 3 minutes

I do believe you misapprehend how this part works: overlap between SSSS and legitimate security concern is vanishingly small.
As SSSS is not determined by UA, discussion on why, is best in 'SSSS' on boarding pass - The "Policy Debate" version in Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
and Why did I get the dreaded SSSS despite my GE/Pre✓/Nexus status? [merged threads]
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 10, 2022 at 11:55 am Reason: another link
Old Nov 10, 2022, 10:51 am

Programs: United MileagePlus
Slight OT but confirming my only SSSS experience was return from Bermuda on B6.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 11:24 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I was hit with SSSS on UA 59 FRA-SFO last month after connecting from MXP on LH. No history travel to "high risk" areas. It was more like a manual non-PreCHeck screening -- tool maybe 3 minutes

As SSSS is not determined by UA, discussion on why, is best in 'SSSS' on boarding pass - The "Policy Debate" version in Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
SSSS hits from FRA to the US on UA flights are mostly determined by UA’s security contractors. The vast majority of these selections for SSSS searches for that UA route too are a product of UA having to meet the USG-mandated quota of SSSS passenger screenings at the international gateway for the US-bound flight — and then most of that “random” and criteria-based selection is a function of the airline’s security contractors algorithms/decisions. Only a minority of SSSS hits for such US-bound routes on US airlines is a selection by the US Government.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 11:29 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
It’s a similar experience leaving the US (got it at ORD once), but the checks all happen at TSA checkpoint rather than at the gate. They also seem to quadruple check that you got screened properly (marks on the BP, stickers, BP checked at gate multiple times, etc)

I had a string of four or five SSSS in a row and then got a redress number. Pretty minimal since then.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 11:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
If I get it again, should I write to DHS?
Only if you want to guarantee you get it every flight for the rest of your life. Nothing good can come of bringing yourself to the attention of DHS.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 11:57 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
If I get it again, should I write to DHS?
There is a formal Redress process if SSSS occurs too often, I would not bother for an occasional incident

Most international travels will at times be hit with SSSS but those that are frequently hit, the Redress process can help/
lsquare and findark like this.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Only if you want to guarantee you get it every flight for the rest of your life. Nothing good can come of bringing yourself to the attention of DHS.
For real? Seems like you're going against conventional advice?
Old Nov 10, 2022, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Nothing good can come of bringing yourself to the attention of DHS.
Ugh better hope you don't have precheck, I know I'm getting rid of mine now because TSA is a DHS department, can't believe I was so foolish identifying myself to them.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Ugh better hope you don't have precheck, I know I'm getting rid of mine now because TSA is a DHS department, can't believe I was so foolish identifying myself to them.
I do have Pre and I intend to keep it.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do have Pre and I intend to keep it.
Did you manage to re-check-in, and did you have precheck this time? (Only interested in having another data point.)
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.