Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Recent experiences with SSSS for the UA traveler?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2024, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Recent experiences with SSSS for the UA traveler?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2023, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by st530
I’ve had it a bunch of times, most recently FRA-EWR-MIA after attending the Nov 12 Pats-Colts game in FRA on a quick trip.

What I never realized before is that the SSSS on the international segment also removes TSA Pre on the domestic connection. That was really annoying, as regular screening at EWR that night was very busy (as I forlornly watched the mostly empty TSA Pre line from afar).
If it happens again, try to re-print and / or re-check in for the domestic flight when you arrive USA. It has been a long time, but I sort of recall that restoring TSA PreCheck.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy, lsquare and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21
If it happens again, try to re-print and / or re-check in for the domestic flight when you arrive USA. It has been a long time, but I sort of recall that restoring TSA PreCheck.
this has worked well for me esp when I've asked an agent to do it at a desk
SPN Lifer, lsquare and goodeats21 like this.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by st530
I’ve had it a bunch of times, most recently FRA-EWR-MIA after attending the Nov 12 Pats-Colts game in FRA on a quick trip.

What I never realized before is that the SSSS on the international segment also removes TSA Pre on the domestic connection. That was really annoying, as regular screening at EWR that night was very busy (as I forlornly watched the mostly empty TSA Pre line from afar).
On my last experience with SSSS, the pre designation came back automatically in the app after I had boarded the SSSS flight:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35847004-post503.html

That is, once I could get a BP in the app, it had pre on it.

Did you look at the app for your case?
Old Dec 28, 2023, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by meijiem
On my last experience with SSSS, the pre designation came back automatically in the app after I had boarded the SSSS flight:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35847004-post503.html

That is, once I could get a BP in the app, it had pre on it.

Did you look at the app for your case?
I don’t recall as it was about 6 weeks ago. In any event thanks for tip — will def try it next time!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 3:07 pm

Programs: United Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Got SSSS today on a CDG-IAD flight. It marks my last two UA flights Europe - USA have triggered SSSS. However, when flying AF or LH I have not received SSSS.

As others reported, did not get precheck on the onward boarding pass but wasn’t a big deal at IAD.

Should I think about applying for a redress number if it’s only happening on UA?
Old Dec 31, 2023, 3:34 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by plc44
Got SSSS today on a CDG-IAD flight. It marks my last two UA flights Europe - USA have triggered SSSS. However, when flying AF or LH I have not received SSSS.

As others reported, did not get precheck on the onward boarding pass but wasn’t a big deal at IAD.

Should I think about applying for a redress number if it’s only happening on UA?
I wouldn’t. I’ve only got one since I started getting SSSS on purely domestic itineraries.

The general thought is that a larger number get SSSS on flights back to USA (even including myself from time-to-time with a redress number)
plc44 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by plc44

Originally Posted by United747
I wouldn’t. I’ve only got one since I started getting SSSS on purely domestic itineraries.

The general thought is that a larger number get SSSS on flights back to USA (even including myself from time-to-time with a redress number)
I also sometimes get ssss on flights back to us with redress number (which did not arise from that). So I agree that's not a worthwhile pursuit for that purpose.
United747 and plc44 like this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 9:43 am

Programs: United Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by fumje
I also sometimes get ssss on flights back to us with redress number (which did not arise from that). So I agree that's not a worthwhile pursuit for that purpose.
And flying MUC-IAH tomorrow and did not get SSSS for the first time in a long time on UA. I did not end up applying for a redress number.
fed planner likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 3:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond
Got SSSS once again ex-FRA. Going through ORD, where’s the best place to stop to get precheck added back with new boarding pass for connection? I don’t have checked bags.

update: so the extra security was minimally invasive (swab electronics and take off shoes). I was able to get connection mobile BP once on plane, but no precheck, so still have to make one extra stop at ORD.

Last edited by fed planner; Mar 21, 2024 at 5:23 am
Old Mar 21, 2024, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by fed planner
Got SSSS once again ex-FRA. Going through ORD, where’s the best place to stop to get precheck added back with new boarding pass for connection? I don’t have checked bags.

update: so the extra security was minimally invasive (swab electronics and take off shoes). I was able to get connection mobile BP once on plane, but no precheck, so still have to make one extra stop at ORD.
You can mess with the app in flight and see if you can get precheck to re-appear. If not, you can stop at the check-in desk prior to going thru security when you get back over to Terminal 1.
fed planner likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by goodeats21
You can mess with the app in flight and see if you can get precheck to re-appear. If not, you can stop at the check-in desk prior to going thru security when you get back over to Terminal 1.
didn't work in app or at the recheck desk. Going to give it one more go in Term 1. I have some time.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by fed planner
didn't work in app or at the recheck desk. Going to give it one more go in Term 1. I have some time.
You have to "uncheck-in" and then check-in again.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wxguy
You have to "uncheck-in" and then check-in again.
I haven't found that to always work. Sometimes I get it back without doing that, as well. Usually redo check-in, fiddling with KTN, even change seats gets it back, but IME there isn't a guaranteed way to ensure you have pre on the connection after SSSS.
SPN Lifer and goodeats21 like this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
I haven't found that to always work. Sometimes I get it back without doing that, as well. Usually redo check-in, fiddling with KTN, even change seats gets it back, but IME there isn't a guaranteed way to ensure you have pre on the connection after SSSS.

I had SSSS leaving EDI the other day and my connecting BP didn’t have pre. When I asked, the EDI staff said it “disqualifies” pre for the whole trip.
We were well early at EWR so I changed to an earlier connection. Agent issued new BP and pre was on it. I asked and he didn’t do anything special it just came out as normal.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.