Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades at PVG

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Upgrades at PVG

I'm 3rd on the Y-C upgrade list, three open seats. Not looking too good, and seems there's always some hanky-panky,with people buying their way into an upgrade with gate agents.....even heard there was a bust some months ago from a Purser. I watched C9 dwindle down.....know that means nothing, but with a V fare, and 1K, still hope to snag.

Now for the question....if I arrive early versus later, do I increase chamces at all or decrease. I've never gotten upgraded at the gate....seems all over by then.

Is there any advantage or disadvantage at PVG wrt actual presentation for boarding pass?
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA Silver
This thread may help: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-24-hours.html
Old Sep 19, 2014, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
No experience at PVG, but have it at PEK. And, yes, shenanigans seem all too frequent, but hard to know. Buy-ups aren't shenanigans, however, just an unfortunate business practice.

As for upgrades at the gate . . . my last flight from PEK resulted in one. I was #1 on list, with one open seat. That disappeared about an hour before flight, I think to a buy up (it was still on offer in the app). I asked at gate, and shortly before boarding they got me a newly opened seat - I think a pilot rest seat that they moved to F. My faith was restored.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by drewguy
As for upgrades at the gate . . . my last flight from PEK resulted in one. I was #1 on list, with one open seat. That disappeared about an hour before flight, I think to a buy up (it was still on offer in the app).
My guess would be that R opened up at T-1 and someone called in to have their GPU clear.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: 1K 2MM
GPU's at PVG

My suggestion is to closely watch for your upgrade on the app. A year ago I sponsored a relative PVG > ORD. Upgrade cleared day of travel and showed him assigned to a seat in business. E-mailed him my congratulations, to which he responded (from ORD) with "what upgrade?", as he had sat in his original E+ seat.

No problems from United in getting the GPU re-deposited with an additional comment that the incident would be forwarded to the "technical operations team for review".
Old Sep 19, 2014, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Well it gets more interesting. I'm 3rd with three open seats. Suddenly with 20 minutes until boarding, I'm 4th for 3. Then a few minutes later a fourth seat opens up. I get the check mark on the APp. Whopeee! I
Go to get my new boarding pass and "oh we are sorry. There's a broken seat. You won't be in business class". I board and take my seat in economy and then a FA tells me a seat opened up and I move. There were no mechanics on board. I did a tour. After takeoff I did a stroll and all seats were occupied. No broken seats.

Well the upgrade did come, slept like a baby and had
A great flight. What a circus. I hate being lied to. Makes me feel like they think I'm stupid. I'm not. I'm a Flyertalker.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by tryathlete
Well it gets more interesting. I'm 3rd with three open seats. Suddenly with 20 minutes until boarding, I'm 4th for 3. Then a few minutes later a fourth seat opens up. I get the check mark on the APp. Whopeee! I
Go to get my new boarding pass and "oh we are sorry. There's a broken seat. You won't be in business class". I board and take my seat in economy and then a FA tells me a seat opened up and I move. There were no mechanics on board. I did a tour. After takeoff I did a stroll and all seats were occupied. No broken seats.

A great flight. What a circus. I hate being lied to. Makes me feel like they think I'm stupid. I'm not. I'm a Flyertalker.
This past week on my flight back from FRA on the 747 a person was upgraded to 16k next to me on the upper deck. When he sat down the FA came over and immediately asked him if he was told that his seat was broken - he said yes. It had to be moved manually - but he was so happy to be upgraded he didn't care.... Looking at the seat though you'd never know it was broken....
Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:37 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by tryathlete

I've seen non-revs moved to broken seats so that their previously assigned functional seats could be given to someone as they were finishing upgrades.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.