Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Free E+ Upgrade Because of Website Error?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2014, 3:52 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select

So in obsession of coming trips, I've been carefully monitoring how full my flights are becoming. Today I logged on to find all remaining seats had been taken except a select few.... but those few were in what was E+, and now they were marked as white instead of blue. I selected 18A (exit row), and hit "next". The website took me back to my reservation, and I checked the seats again to find my selection still valid, but the seating chart went back to normal (the seat next to me is back to blue)... I didn't pay anything extra, despite this being an obvious E+ seat. (CRJ-700 V2)

Has anyone else had this experience? Will I go back to my original seat at check in?

I have no status, FYI.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold; IHG Spire Elite
I've not had that experience, but I bet you'll get to keep it (unless there's an equipment or other change). When a non-elite is traveling under a different reservation as an elite, phone agents will often manually move them up to E+ (e.g., if my husband and I are on different reservations, I can call and get him an E+ seat next to me). So, it's not like it's will be something that will be flagged at check in, since there are reasons why a non-elite would be in E+ without paying.

Enjoy your good fortune...
Old Sep 18, 2014, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jewels421
I've not had that experience, but I bet you'll get to keep it (unless there's an equipment or other change). When a non-elite is traveling under a different reservation as an elite, phone agents will often manually move them up to E+ (e.g., if my husband and I are on different reservations, I can call and get him an E+ seat next to me). So, it's not like it's will be something that will be flagged at check in, since there are reasons why a non-elite would be in E+ without paying.

Enjoy your good fortune...
Sounds good to me.
I was debating paying that extra $27 to guarantee my comfort, but now looks like I won't have to! Flight is on Tues
Old Sep 18, 2014, 7:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
any seat on a cr7 is quite uncomfortable even F.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by travel.flier
It's all relative, and E+ on a CR7 is definitely better than regular economy on that same bird.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 9:39 pm

Programs: Star, Oneworld, Skymiles, SPG
Originally Posted by jewels421
So, it's not like it's will be something that will be flagged at check in, since there are reasons why a non-elite would be in E+ without paying.
Non-elites are in E+ all the time without paying. I have been on flights that were completely full and 5 people were boarding in boarding group 1 and 2. I have no doubt that most of the people on these flights were in E+ simply because they checked-in late and there was no more seats in E-. This particularly true on flights to leisure destinations like Vegas and Mexico.

I flew to Hawaii recently and sat in a (paid) seat in E+ in an exit row. Next to me was an Italian couple who a) did not speak English, b) were on the first trip to America, c) had never heard of Mileage Plus or Star Alliance and d) had no idea why they were in the seats they were except that when they checked in at the airport, those were the seats they were given.

It is for this reason that I will never pay for E+ again. It is aggravating to pay for the seat and sit next to people who are in E+ only because they checked in at the last minute.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 11:30 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hertz Pres, Avis Pres, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by eghansen
Non-elites are in E+ all the time without paying. I have been on flights that were completely full and 5 people were boarding in boarding group 1 and 2. I have no doubt that most of the people on these flights were in E+ simply because they checked-in late and there was no more seats in E-. This particularly true on flights to leisure destinations like Vegas and Mexico.

I flew to Hawaii recently and sat in a (paid) seat in E+ in an exit row. Next to me was an Italian couple who a) did not speak English, b) were on the first trip to America, c) had never heard of Mileage Plus or Star Alliance and d) had no idea why they were in the seats they were except that when they checked in at the airport, those were the seats they were given.

It is for this reason that I will never pay for E+ again. It is aggravating to pay for the seat and sit next to people who are in E+ only because they checked in at the last minute.
If you do not have status then you are paying to be "guaranteed" in E+. You can always take a chance and check in last if you are willing to sit in E-.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DavidRS4
If you do not have status then you are paying to be "guaranteed" in E+. You can always take a chance and check in last if you are willing to sit in E-.
I concur. I do my best to avoid E- in general. On this short haul flight, I was still debating.

Originally Posted by travel.flier
Disappointing to hear. Flying F on the way down. But just because they're all uncomfortable doesn't mean that some aren't worse than others.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 19, 2014 at 10:32 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:15 am

Programs: UA 1k, Hertz Pres, Avis Pres, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by joecool1885
I concur. I do my best to avoid E- in general. On this short haul flight, I was still debating.

Disappointing to hear. Flying F on the way down. But just because they're all uncomfortable doesn't mean that some aren't worse than others.
They even shrunk First on the new 737s. So with United First is definitely going down. Next they will announce the new United 767 with "Big Front Seats"
Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:21 am

Programs: UA 1K
It's not about check-in time.

In any case, E+ is not a class of service. If you want to be somewhere that the riff-raff is kept out of, that's what F is for. E+ is a seat assignment. Do you really want UA to refuse to sell additional seats on the plane because it would require placing the unentitled in E+?
Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:39 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... It is for this reason that I will never pay for E+ again. It is aggravating to pay for the seat and sit next to people who are in E+ only because they checked in at the last minute.
Sort of like those that paid for first class feel when they have upgraders as seatmates
Old Sep 23, 2014, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Well, flew F on the way down (Row 1) and E+ on the return. Return flight much more comfortable. Owing in part to no person next to me. But regardless, a lot more legroom in the exit row. Seat itself wasn't as cushioned, but I'd gladly sacrifice that in the future for more space. Definitely not worth the extra cash I paid for first on the way down.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 5:26 pm
Zip

Programs: UA-MM; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold
Why were non-English speakers permitted to sit in an exit row??
Old Jul 2, 2015, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Old topic I know.... new experience. Booked SMF-CUN a couple months back. E- sold out several weeks ago. Logged on today (flight in a few days), about 4 dozen E+ seats still available, and several of them were no longer blue, but instead white. Immediately changed my seats to these new spots with no charge. Only 6 out of 20 F sold, with nobody on the FC upgrade list. It's been $700+ to upgrade ever since I booked, so I'll be interested to see what it'll be at the airport.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 7:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by joecool1885
.... Logged on today (flight in a few days), about 4 dozen E+ seats still available, and several of them were no longer blue, but instead white. ....
What is the scheduled aircraft?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.