FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Lie Flat flights BOS-West Coast (LAX/SFO) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1613508-lie-flat-flights-bos-west-coast-lax-sfo.html)

ElliottMB Sep 17, 2014 9:13 am

Lie Flat flights BOS-West Coast (LAX/SFO)

http://imgur.com/x4QQhPP.png

UA 717 on Nov. 25th. Is it the P.S. config from JFK-LAX/SFO? I don't see the separator in the First cabin.

PTahCha Sep 17, 2014 9:44 am

Interesting... Looking at the timetable, looks like they started using the p.s. configured plane for BOS-LAX nonstop starting on 10/27, and LAX-BOS starting on 10/28.

Could this be the start of much-clamored BOS p.s. flight?

haddon90 Sep 17, 2014 9:55 am

doubtful. either a glitch or just utilizing the aircraft for certain days. i remember for a small time they ran a 777 SFO-LAX a few years back.

Madone59 Sep 17, 2014 10:08 am

Originally Posted by haddon90 (Post 23540519)
doubtful. either a glitch.

^ Ya, I can't imagine that will stick.

TennisNoob Sep 17, 2014 10:15 am

Sooner or later you will possibly see a last minute equipment swap ;)

md25 Sep 17, 2014 10:17 am

It's loaded for a number of other dates as well.

Agreed probably a glitch but wouldn't that be interesting given B6's rumored Mint expansion

fryguy89 Sep 17, 2014 10:30 am

Would LOVE to see this as permanent but I will not get my hopes up!

haddon90 Sep 17, 2014 10:32 am

Originally Posted by md25 (Post 23540647)
It's loaded for a number of other dates as well.

Agreed probably a glitch but wouldn't that be interesting given B6's rumored Mint expansion

for one, B6 has 3 flights per day to LAX to UA's 1. UA won't put p.s. on a market that can only support one flight a day and cannot support the p.s. fares that JFK can demand.

it most likely will be an equipment swap. i would not expect the p.s. planes to be on this route unless it is for aircraft positioning.

FlyerChrisK Sep 17, 2014 11:04 am

Originally Posted by haddon90 (Post 23540726)
for one, B6 has 3 flights per day to LAX to UA's 1. UA won't put p.s. on a market that can only support one flight a day and cannot support the p.s. fares that JFK can demand.

it most likely will be an equipment swap. i would not expect the p.s. planes to be on this route unless it is for aircraft positioning.

BOS is sort of on the wrong end for an aircraft repositioning on p.s. Deadheading the plane to BOS and then flying it on a route that has far more premium seats than the route can support seems odd.

This is almost certainly a glitch in United.com. Jut ask anyone flying a Q400 TATL if they think so.

riphamilton Sep 17, 2014 11:18 am

i agree that it's a glitch, but if there was to be a city added to p.s., BOS is the best choice. competitive transcon market, high O/D percentage, and a corporate base that can sustain high fares.

that being said, UA probably isn't too fond of how massport is throwing money left and right to foreign carriers (EK, CX, HU, JL). i don't have insight into load numbers for those flights, but it's probably not a bad sign that EK upgauged from a 772 to a 773.

i understand that the p.s. subfleet isn't big enough to simply add a city at this point - but i can dream!

haddon90 Sep 17, 2014 11:57 am

Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK (Post 23540915)
BOS is sort of on the wrong end for an aircraft repositioning on p.s. Deadheading the plane to BOS and then flying it on a route that has far more premium seats than the route can support seems odd.

This is almost certainly a glitch in United.com. Jut ask anyone flying a Q400 TATL if they think so.

while i agree that it probably is a glitch, if there is some shifting of the fleet, and a p.s. 757 is just lying around for certain days, might as well use it.

and we have had this discussion multiple times. BOS does not have the $ to support the p.s. fares that JFK-LAX/SFO command. hence why p.s. is only on the NY-california markets.

Kacee Sep 17, 2014 12:31 pm

I doubt it's a glitch. They shift these aircraft around from time to time and probably feel they don't need one of them on the ps route during that period.

Originally Posted by haddon90 (Post 23541187)
BOS does not have the $ to support the p.s. fares that JFK-LAX/SFO command. hence why p.s. is only on the NY-california markets.

ps fares are quite low right now, around $2200 RT. They've been even lower (in the $1200 range) recently. Given the competitive landscape, with AA, DL, and B6 all competing for the same pax, this could continue for a while.

ElliottMB Sep 17, 2014 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by TennisNoob (Post 23540630)
Sooner or later you will possibly see a last minute equipment swap ;)

Yeah definitely not getting my hopes up. I did request an ug though just in case!

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 23541361)
I doubt it's a glitch. They shift these aircraft around from time to time and probably feel they don't need one of them on the ps route during that period.

It'll be interesting to see if it was intentional. I originally thought they were putting an INTL 757 on this route when I booked it, but then realized 7 rows of F was P.S.

Kacee Sep 17, 2014 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by ElliottMB (Post 23541371)
It'll be interesting to see if it was intentional. I originally thought they were putting an INTL 757 on this route when I booked it, but then realized 7 rows of F was P.S.

There was a thread recently about the ps seatmap showing up recently on one of the LAX to Hawaii routes (either OGG or LIH). It did stick. LAX-OGG Equpment Swap 752 Lie Flat

sfnats Sep 17, 2014 3:35 pm

I've had the PS config IAD-BOS and BOS-SFO before. Sometimes, they just do this. The plane may stick but they won't change the service. Definitely a nice surprise though!