Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Lie Flat flights BOS-West Coast (LAX/SFO)

Lie Flat flights BOS-West Coast (LAX/SFO)

Old Mar 1, 15, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does UA as of a sudden have p.s. birds, or is this a result of reduced frequencies on the traditional p.s. routes?
Old Mar 1, 15, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g View Post
Does UA as of a sudden have p.s. birds, or is this a result of reduced frequencies on the traditional p.s. routes?
It's because of revised maintenance scheduling requirements there was excess PS 757 capacity so the company saw short term deployment to BOS as a profitable opportunity.
Old Mar 1, 15, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28 View Post
It's because of revised maintenance scheduling requirements there was excess PS 757 capacity so the company saw short term deployment to BOS as a profitable opportunity.
Just curious why LAX over SFO? Competition? (Against AA/B6/DL/VX to LAX, vs. only against B6/VX to SFO?)

Last edited by radiowell; Mar 1, 15 at 4:29 pm Reason: added more
Old Mar 1, 15, 4:33 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
On a side but somewhat related note, my 5:30pm BOS-SFO yesterday must've been the oldest in the fleet. Blue flush toilets and overhead monitors from probably 1987. I didn't even know this was still in the fleet somewhere. The seats were new fabric though.
Old Mar 1, 15, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting. So, can we expect this to be a one-time event, or something to occur periodically? Could this also result in higher LAX/SFO-JFK frequencies?

Originally Posted by radiowell View Post
Just curious why LAX over SFO? Competition? (Against AA/B6/DL/VX to LAX, vs. only against B6/VX to SFO?)
In the SFO-BOS market UA is pretty well established, whereby LAX seems to need a boost.
Old Mar 1, 15, 5:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by radiowell View Post
Curiously, the 757 ps is loaded only for PM BOS-LAX (around 6 PM) and for AM LAX-BOS (around 8-9 AM) flights. Other times get A320, for now. I said curious because LAX-BOS redeye gets A320, when it makes more sense to get ps config...
Makes more sense to have the p.s. planes on the redeye where they are marketed as such, the LAX and SFO routes. This is a fleet utilization thing so they'll make sure it doesn't interfere with the normal ops.
Originally Posted by AAerSTL View Post
If I book ps BOS-LAX and UA decides to send a standard 757 what recourse do I have? Pretty sure opt CofC I would be stuck but they may allow a free change to other UA flights.
Officially none. Think about the various widebody hub-to-hub routes. No comp/recourse when those switch to a narrowbody.
Old Mar 2, 15, 9:23 am

Sounds like it was less the thought that flat beds would make it a profitable opportunity than the PS birds have more first class seats to sell on some flights that were typically heavy on first demand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cesco.g

Old Mar 2, 15, 9:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by TA View Post
On a side but somewhat related note, my 5:30pm BOS-SFO yesterday must've been the oldest in the fleet. Blue flush toilets and overhead monitors from probably 1987. I didn't even know this was still in the fleet somewhere. The seats were new fabric though.
Welcome to my world: those 752s feel like they're from another era. The worst part? No wifi or power on a flight that can run 6-7 hours.

The only upside is that the seats in F are much comfier than those in the 738s that also fly the route regularly, so when I do get an upgrade, my butt thanks me.
Old May 12, 15, 12:12 pm

Programs: SkyMiles Gold, AAdvantage Member, Elevate Silver
Currently N41140 is doing SFO-BOS-SFO for the rest of the week.

until 5-12-15
UA1634 805-1643 SFO-BOS
UA1534 1800-2130 BOS-SFO

U/G chances are slim on these flights, looking full!

U/G list is showing 8 people cleared that means that only 8 booked??

Last edited by BostonPlanesAndTrains; May 13, 15 at 6:41 am Reason: merging duplicate posts by same member
Old May 12, 15, 12:55 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by BostonPlanesAndTrains View Post
Good news for any BOS based transcon flyers. Splits the U/G chance in 1/2!
That's good news?

Search this Thread