Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The OTG Airport Experience at EWR

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by phkc070408
Using the PATH as the EWR monorail would have been the proper way to go. It could have functioned like SEPTA's Airport Line, a single seat ride from the city (World Trade Center) to the airport. They wouldn't have even needed to build the EWR rail station. Transfers occur at Newark Penn.
PHL's SEPTA service doesn't function as an intra-airport people mover. It doesn't have to, because PHL is interconnected on airside and landside (except for Terminal F, but there's a shuttle bus from the main complex). Using PATH in the method you suggest doesn't solve the issue of airside connections, since it would need to be landside to connect to the larger PATH system.

Originally Posted by joshwex90
How do you keep it free between terminals?

They would have also needed to increase the frequency significantly (during the middle of the night and on weekends, it can be once every 20-30 minutes!)
An NFC farecard system (like the DC Metro SmarTrip, SF ClipperCard or ATL Marta Breeze card) could be programmed to allow for free passage between intra-airport stations (since those systems require an exit 'swipe', and fares are deducted on the exit swipe). Otherwise, you'd have to run a train out to a terminal, have everyone disembark, exit through a set of faregates and hop on a dedicated airport train.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
Originally Posted by Indelaware
A long term answer, but one which is not going to happen any time soon, if ever, would be to finally build up SWF: new terminals and rail connections to Manhattan have long been proposed. All mucked up in a combination of democracy, politics, and mismanagement (both public and private). At only 60km out of the city, there is no technological reason that one could not build ultra-fast public transit connections. Don't hold one's breath...
no thanks. it's 70 miles from where i live in hell's kitchen, not 60km. which is about 112km. if there was a bullet train or a maglev or something like that in place, maybe. in a city where they can't even get public transportation right for existing airports (the newark airport express bus is a complete sh*tshow, the airtrain to EWR requires a train to the station plus a NJT train to penn station plus a bus/train/taxi to wherever i'm going, the airtrain to JFK is the same deal, LGA is a pain to get to unless you're on a taxi, etc.), i've just completely given up on the idea that we'll get airport transit like we find in europe or asia. yes i understand the reasoning behind why, but i've always been a big fan of public transit and the situation at the airports here wrt transit options i find really frustrating.

and seriously, the newark express bus should just be completely redone. it's like the worst bus system i've seen, with probably the lowest cost of fixing. the buses are terrible, uncomfortable, and loud. they're never on-time. trying to go through purchasing tickets at PABT or EWR-C is a complete joke (seriously, why can't i just buy tickets while i'm waiting in line, the guy is standing RIGHT THERE). and this could all be fixed without having to build new stations, lay new train tracks, or anything like that. it's beyond me why this doesn't get fixed.

ugh sorry. i just really, really hate that bus, and my stupid self keeps taking it thinking "oh maybe this time it'll be better."

it never is.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Critic
An NFC farecard system (like the DC Metro SmarTrip, SF ClipperCard or ATL Marta Breeze card) could be programmed to allow for free passage between intra-airport stations (since those systems require an exit 'swipe', and fares are deducted on the exit swipe). Otherwise, you'd have to run a train out to a terminal, have everyone disembark, exit through a set of faregates and hop on a dedicated airport train.
The only "solution" I could think of that would enable using PATH in place of AirTrain involves having everyone exit and re-enter (obviously a pain). (Or having a conductor board and have everyone swipe their MetroCard or tap their Smart Link.)

The NFC system wouldn't work, because not everyone would have an NFC card - unless you're suggesting pax get an NFC card before boarding and return upon disembarking

Originally Posted by bob_the_d
no thanks. it's 70 miles from where i live in hell's kitchen, not 60km. which is about 112km. if there was a bullet train or a maglev or something like that in place, maybe. in a city where they can't even get public transportation right for existing airports (the newark airport express bus is a complete sh*tshow, the airtrain to EWR requires a train to the station plus a NJT train to penn station plus a bus/train/taxi to wherever i'm going, the airtrain to JFK is the same deal, LGA is a pain to get to unless you're on a taxi, etc.), i've just completely given up on the idea that we'll get airport transit like we find in europe or asia. yes i understand the reasoning behind why, but i've always been a big fan of public transit and the situation at the airports here wrt transit options i find really frustrating.

and seriously, the newark express bus should just be completely redone. it's like the worst bus system i've seen, with probably the lowest cost of fixing. the buses are terrible, uncomfortable, and loud. they're never on-time. trying to go through purchasing tickets at PABT or EWR-C is a complete joke (seriously, why can't i just buy tickets while i'm waiting in line, the guy is standing RIGHT THERE). and this could all be fixed without having to build new stations, lay new train tracks, or anything like that. it's beyond me why this doesn't get fixed.

ugh sorry. i just really, really hate that bus, and my stupid self keeps taking it thinking "oh maybe this time it'll be better."

it never is.
Something tells me building a Maglev, the first of its kind in the USA, wouldn't make so much sense to connect SWF - especially when there's 3 closer airports that have significantly easier and cheaper fixes
Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder

it never is.
JFK is the way to go. I flew LAX-JFK on DL recently on a 763. Door to door from JFK to Hoboken, NJ was 1 hr and 20 min. using public transit options on a Saturday. Had I flown into EWR not only would the plane probably be delayed, but with the monorail having issues and the pulaski skyway closed, it would have taken longer.

Originally Posted by Indelaware
Apart from improving EWR capacity and rebuilding terminals A, B, one could start by demolishing JFK terminals and building a fresh, but that isn't going to happen.

A long term answer, but one which is not going to happen any time soon, if ever, would be to finally build up SWF: new terminals and rail connections to Manhattan have long been proposed. All mucked up in a combination of democracy, politics, and mismanagement (both public and private). At only 60km out of the city, there is no technological reason that one could not build ultra-fast public transit connections. Don't hold one's breath...
I feel the JFK terminals are in good shape: T1, T4, T8, T5 and even T7 has it's charms.

EWR Terminal A is a POS, B is slightly better, and C is just too crowded with poorly designed walkways, gate areas, and security check points. .

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 18, 2014 at 4:09 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by the same member
Old Sep 18, 2014, 4:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by REPUBLIC757
....and even T7 has it's charms. ....
like it the way antiques have charm?
If T7 was doing anything more for UA than O/D for PS and the occansional UX to IAD, it would be a mess.

T7 could definitively do with a refresh to be even close to most other JFK terminals.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 4:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If T7 was doing anything more for UA than O/D for PS and the occansional UX to IAD, it would be a mess.

T7 could definitively do with a refresh to be even close to most other JFK terminals.
I like the check in area, waterfall by security line, and the views in the UA club. Plus getting from the gate to the street in less 5 minutes? Try doing that at terminal C ^
Old Sep 18, 2014, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I like the check in area, waterfall by security line, and the views in the UA club. Plus getting from the gate to the street in less 5 minutes? Try doing that at terminal C ^
Agreed. ESP since they upgraded the food and bev options the last couple years. I love T7 - would be perfect w real Pre.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 4:47 pm

Programs: United 1K (3MM) and RCC, elite levels for most hotel and car programs
Terminal C has its problems -- but can't UA figure out a way to migrate flights from Terminal A at EWR to a real terminal? Straight out of the '50's.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott-Gold
Originally Posted by recreationguru
Terminal C has its problems -- but can't UA figure out a way to migrate flights from Terminal A at EWR to a real terminal? Straight out of the '50's.
They need to keep their miserable 250 RJ145's in operation somewhere.

Reading all these posts... once again becomes clear that the need for significant upgrade, or demolish and build new airport(s) around NYC area is much needed. Bureaucracy and politics seem to be whats standing in the way of so many great projects that could be done around the country. Sad.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 21, 2014 at 2:00 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 19, 2014, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I've done that - when coming form international flights no less!
I've been, from row 44 on a PMCO 772, from landing to outside in 16 minutes, and that includes taxiing, waiting for the door to open, waiting for the entire plane to disembark.
(Obviously I had GE and no bags to claim)
Old Sep 19, 2014, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by davidviolin
Reading all these posts... once again becomes clear that the need for significant upgrade, or demolish and build new airport(s) around NYC area is much needed. Bureaucracy and politics seem to be whats standing in the way of so many great projects that could be done around the country. Sad.
Again - that's idea, but there's just no land for it.

LGA does provide a good template:
- DL took two very dumpy, separate terminals (C, D), re-did the insides, and now it's truly an amazing experience
- B terminal (the CTB) will be razed, with a new one built in its place...but there will be an incredible amount of short-term pain with it, and from the looks of it, the new main parking garage is going to be quite a hike from the new CTB.

2nd one is tough, 1st one is easier...no reason they can't do to EWR A what DL managed to do with LGA C/D.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 7:32 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

T7 could also use more than three destinations as well!
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott-Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Again - that's idea, but there's just no land for it.

LGA does provide a good template:
- DL took two very dumpy, separate terminals (C, D), re-did the insides, and now it's truly an amazing experience
- B terminal (the CTB) will be razed, with a new one built in its place...but there will be an incredible amount of short-term pain with it, and from the looks of it, the new main parking garage is going to be quite a hike from the new CTB.

2nd one is tough, 1st one is easier...no reason they can't do to EWR A what DL managed to do with LGA C/D.
LGA needs more runways which will be hard to do. In any case, its great that they are upgrading some of the airport. But it will always be a bandage here, a plaster here, little bit of fixing here, and as one thing gets improved, it doesnt work with another (parking garage). In the end its more complicated, more expensive, and always going to be a half-way measure. Will it be difficult to built a new airport for the 21st century? Yes. Impossible? Absolutely not.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 1:20 pm

If they wanted to make EWR better they would reduce the number of flights to a level that the airport can handle. With the delays there I don't care how nice looking it is our how good the food is if you can't get in our out on time I will fly out/in/through other places.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90
How do you keep it free between terminals?

They would have also needed to increase the frequency significantly (during the middle of the night and on weekends, it can be once every 20-30 minutes!)
The proper comparison would not be to SEPTA service at PHL but rather Tube and Express service at LHR.

no thanks. it's 70 miles from where i live in hell's kitchen, not 60km. which is about 112km. if there was a bullet train or a maglev or something like that in place, maybe.
I meant to type 60mi, not 60km. And yes, at 60mi (or 70mi) one could certainly do a fast train. But, as I said, that would take political will.

I feel the JFK terminals are in good shape: T1, T4, T8, T5 and even T7 has it's charms.
The terminals are ok, but certainly not world class. No airside transport. Vehicle traffic about the terminals is, well, ugly - not to mention inefficient.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.