Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 29, 2024, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)

UA policy on connecting bags requiring recheck (updated wording Aug 2017 -- removed 13-hour rule, another update Fall 2018 restored 12-hour rule)
For a trip that includes one or more connection, we’ll check bags to the final destination on your ticket.You'll need to go to baggage claim and re-check your bags if:
  • You chose to have a layover
  • You make a connection that involves an overnight stay
  • Your connecting flight departs more than 12 hours after you arrive at the airport
  • You’re connecting to an itinerary booked on a separate ticket that doesn't include a Star Alliance™ partner airline
  • You’re traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country
In practice. some have been able to avoid having to claim and re-check bags when on a long connection -- but if the agent insists, the agent is correctly implementing UA's written / published policy. See post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31816944-post390.html for how an agent may be able to help you: They can retrieve a hand-written UA baggage tags that had "Reroute" and "VIP" printed on them (not handwritten) and add your information.
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Default time is 12 hours. A small number of individual stations are enabled to allow bags to be checked thru for connections greater than 12 hours. Maybe we can build a list based on people's experiences for certain connection points.

I know FCO is up to 16 hours. SIN, HND, FRA, MUC, ZRH, BRU should all allow up to 24 hours.

UA social media team (Twitter) wrote on August 16 (2017), "Any connection below 13 hours is always checked through to the final destination" in the context of being regardless of being an overnight connection or not.

related thread: UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)
UA will not Short Check bags (but some loopholes)

Print Wikipost

Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:23 am

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
thanks-i think the sticky issue is the overnight bit though-just to understand what thatmeans-if your flight arrives after midnight at first stop it will ck all the way thru as long as the connect is wthin 12hrs?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:38 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
..-if your flight arrives after midnight at first stop it will ck all the way thru as long as the connect is wthin 12hrs?
My guess that still would be considered overnight. UA probably has a definition but not aware of what it might be.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Plat Elite
Not sure if this is the right thread, but...
* Traveling SFO-SIN-SFO in J on UA and SIN-CMB-SIN in J on SQ on two separate PNR
* On the outbound, our SFO-SIN flight arrives 06:15 and our SIN-CMB flight departs at 10:45
* On the return, our CMB-SIN flight arrives at 07:40 while our SIN-SFO flight departs at 21:00

Will UA check our bags through in SFO to CMB? And will SQ check our bags through in CMB to SFO?

Thanks very much!!
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by m0nk3y
.... Will UA check our bags through in SFO to CMB? ...
Should not be a problem

Originally Posted by m0nk3y
And will SQ check our bags through in CMB to SFO? ...
You need to ask in the SQ forum about a 13+hour gap
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Plat Elite
Thanks @WineCountryUA!
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:38 am

Programs: BA GGL, Matmid Gold, TAP Air S* Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Hi y'all luggage question please:

I'm Flying PTY - EWR- YUL

I want my luggage in EWR

my stopover is 14 h 41 minutes and IS overnight.

I may not want to continue the next morning onto YUL, is there any way I can be SURE that I will get the luggage in EWR?

because it is an international connection, as opposed to domestic, I'm concerned the usual rule of getting your luggage for customs might not be correct...

thank you!
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by tapuach
Hi y'all luggage question please:

I'm Flying PTY - EWR- YUL

I want my luggage in EWR

my stopover is 14 h 41 minutes and IS overnight.

I may not want to continue the next morning onto YUL, is there any way I can be SURE that I will get the luggage in EWR?

because it is an international connection, as opposed to domestic, I'm concerned the usual rule of getting your luggage for customs might not be correct...

thank you!
You will get your luggage back in EWR to clear Customs since it is a international flight. So you will have no problem, if you choose not to continue on to YUL the next day.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: BA GGL, Matmid Gold, TAP Air S* Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Yellowjj
You will get your luggage back in EWR to clear Customs since it is a international flight. So you will have no problem, if you choose not to continue on to YUL the next day.
what i'm saying is that the OUTBOUND is international as well, so customs might not apply??
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by tapuach
what i'm saying is that the OUTBOUND is international as well, so customs might not apply??
At last count, there are six US airports that have forwarded INTL to INTL baggage transfer but EWR is not one of them. Therefore, you'll have to claim your luggage prior to customs exit whether you intend to take it with you or have it immediate rechecked to final destination. So... you're in luck and can decide at that moment I would think.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, Amex Plat, UA Club Card, National EE, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
yyz-iad-cun

Yyz-iad-cun. Overnight layover in IAD (10.5 hrs). Will they bags be checked through to CUN? What can I do to retrieve bags in IAD?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by hokiebuy
Yyz-iad-cun. Overnight layover in IAD (10.5 hrs). Will they bags be checked through to CUN? What can I do to retrieve bags in IAD?
Overnight? Should be able to request shortchecking at IAD.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Amex Plat, UA Club Card, National EE, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Overnight? Should be able to request shortchecking at IAD.
It was checked all the way through unfortunately. Agents at YYZ wouldn't budge, I tried. I think they aren't United employees, they are contract labor and unfamiliar with policies.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by hokiebuy
It was checked all the way through unfortunately. Agents at YYZ wouldn't budge, I tried. I think they aren't United employees, they are contract labor and unfamiliar with policies.
UA policies explicitly states UA will not check thru overnight

You'll need to claim and re-check baggage if you are:
  • Making a voluntary stopover
  • Making a connection that involves an overnight stay
But contract employees are unpredictable
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:36 pm

Flying SYD to ATL, connecting at IAH

Hi, I'm planning to book a flight from SYD to ATL. There'll be a approx 2hr stop at IAH. I was wondering whether my luggage would be transfered all the way to ATL or would I need to claim it at IAH and check in again. Thanks.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:14 pm

Welcome to FT!, isavyclair
Originally Posted by isavyclair
Hi, I'm planning to book a flight from SYD to ATL. There'll be a approx 2hr stop at IAH. I was wondering whether my luggage would be transfered all the way to ATL or would I need to claim it at IAH and check in again. Thanks.
Assuming a single ticket, then yes BUT -- as you will be entering the USA at IAH and will need to clear customs. So on landing, you will walk fr some distance and then pick up your bags, clear immigration and customs and then there will be a place to drop your luggage. Then you will need to clear security (without your bags) and head to your ATL. That will consume much of the 2 hours (less if you have Global Entry and PreCheck).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.