Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)

Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA policy on connecting bags requiring recheck (updated wording Aug 2017 -- removed 13-hour rule, another update Fall 2018 restored 12-hour rule)
For a trip that includes one or more connection, we’ll check bags to the final destination on your ticket.You'll need to go to baggage claim and re-check your bags if:
  • You chose to have a layover
  • You make a connection that involves an overnight stay
  • Your connecting flight departs more than 12 hours after you arrive at the airport
  • You’re connecting to an itinerary booked on a separate ticket that doesn't include a Star Alliance™ partner airline
  • You’re traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country
In practice. some have been able to avoid having to claim and re-check bags when on a long connection -- but if the agent insists, the agent is correctly implementing UA's written / published policy. See post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31816944-post390.html for how an agent may be able to help you: They can retrieve a hand-written UA baggage tags that had "Reroute" and "VIP" printed on them (not handwritten) and add your information.
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Default time is 12 hours. A small number of individual stations are enabled to allow bags to be checked thru for connections greater than 12 hours. Maybe we can build a list based on people's experiences for certain connection points.

I know FCO is up to 16 hours. SIN, HND, FRA, MUC, ZRH, BRU should all allow up to 24 hours.

UA social media team (Twitter) wrote on August 16 (2017), "Any connection below 13 hours is always checked through to the final destination" in the context of being regardless of being an overnight connection or not.

related thread: UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)
UA will not Short Check bags (but some loopholes)
Archive thread: Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)

Old Mar 24, 2024, 7:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Going thru this thread has been educational. Booked a flight mid April UA F ABQ-SFO, arrives 0750.
We will depart AS SFO-PAE at 1850. UA will not interline, nor will AS take the bags (4) early.

Options?

1. Airport storage - $130+
2. Car rental - $130
3. ???
Old Mar 24, 2024, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by blue bear
Going thru this thread has been educational. Booked a flight mid April UA F ABQ-SFO, arrives 0750.
We will depart AS SFO-PAE at 1850. UA will not interline, nor will AS take the bags (4) early.

Options?

2. Car rental - $130
3. ???
Was this booked on one ticket, or separately. If on one ticket, UA should be able to check the bag through. How easy that is is another question. Many agents have trouble doing so. So give lots of extra time at check in.

if you are on separate tickets, then you care correct, UA will not check through.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 8:58 pm

No way to book this on one ticket I know of.

We will visit the AS counter and see if they make an exception - we were told when booking that AS and UA have an interline agreement.

Otherwise would have booked straight UA to SEA (PAE is MUCH closer to destination).
Old Mar 24, 2024, 9:28 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
blue bear,

As emcambe noted it depends on whether it's one ticket or separate tickets. UA almost never checks bags through on separate tickets except to another *A partner. You've got an 11 hour layover at SFO and Alaska is usually fairly reasonable in letting people check bags early when the counters are open. I'd just pick up your bags, head over to the AS desk to drop the bags, and then take BART into town. There really isn't 10 hours of entertainment airside even if you can lounge hop.

In the last 20+ years I've only had it happen once (20 years ago) and that was because it was a couple of seaman's tickets at NRT and the ship's agent was leaning hard on the United people since they were both on the same reservation.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 9:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by emcampbe
... If on one ticket, UA should be able to check the bag through. How easy that is is another question. Many agents have trouble doing so. So give lots of extra time at check in. ... .
??? Single ticket, should not be the sightless problem. And everyday occurrence.

Separate tickets, that can take some extra time
When separate alliance, UA may only do for higher elites.

We will visit the AS counter and see if they make an exception - we were told when booking that AS and UA have an interline agreement.

Otherwise would have booked straight UA to SEA (PAE is MUCH closer to destination).
Yes UA and AS have an interlining agreement, meaning they can be on the same ticket. Separate ticket creates a different situation.

A travel agent and perhaps online TAs should be able to put on a single ticket
Old Mar 24, 2024, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by ttuna3
blue bear,

As emcambe noted it depends on whether it's one ticket or separate tickets. UA almost never checks bags through on separate tickets except to another *A partner. You've got an 11 hour layover at SFO and Alaska is usually fairly reasonable in letting people check bags early when the counters are open. I'd just pick up your bags, head over to the AS desk to drop the bags, and then take BART into town. There really isn't 10 hours of entertainment airside even if you can lounge hop....
That would be perfectly fine with me. We need to visit a consulate there - reason for the trip.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
A travel agent and perhaps online TAs should be able to put on a single ticket
​​​​​​​I will keep that in mind if there is a next time.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
UA can book this on one ticket, and though I’ve never tried, definitely seen an itin or two in the day on UA.com where there is a shorter AS segment. When and how to get that to come up specifically I don’t know. A TA could definitely do it, and Google flights would come up with it to the right destination. So definitely is possible, even if it’s not the most common situation.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 10:57 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL

Options?

2. Car rental - $130
3. ???
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Was this booked on one ticket, or separately. If on one ticket, UA should be able to check the bag through. How easy that is is another question. Many agents have trouble doing so. So give lots of extra time at check in.

if you are on separate tickets, then you care correct, UA will not check through.
Agents have explained to me to is relatively easy to interline baggage onto a separate ticket flight when operated by a different carrier. However, when they check bags onto a UA flight on different tickets, they must create a dummy reservation to do so and if any of the flights is sold out they cannot. The procedure is apparently cumbersome. With different carriers there is no such system requirement.

You have one thing in your favor, the connection is under 12 hours so allowed on the same ticket. You have one thing not in your favor, United rules say they don't check bags through if the separate ticket is not a Star Alliance partner flight. As WineCountryUA said it depends on the willingness of the ABQ agent to accommodate you.

If you don't prefer to take the chance at ABQ I would think you should be able to get a rental car for less than 130. PM me if you want a suggestion.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.