Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)

Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 10, 22, 11:33 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: 747FC
Wiki Link
UA policy on connecting bags requiring recheck (updated wording Aug 2017 -- removed 13-hour rule, another update Fall 2018 restored 12-hour rule)
For a trip that includes one or more connection, well check bags to the final destination on your ticket.You'll need to go to baggage claim and re-check your bags if:
  • You chose to have a layover
  • You make a connection that involves an overnight stay
  • Your connecting flight departs more than 12 hours after you arrive at the airport
  • Youre connecting to an itinerary booked on a separate ticket that doesn't include a Star Alliance partner airline
  • Youre traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country
In practice. some have been able to avoid having to claim and re-check bags when on a long connection -- but if the agent insists, the agent is correctly implementing UA's written / published policy. See post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31816944-post390.html for how an agent may be able to help you: They can retrieve a hand-written UA baggage tags that had "Reroute" and "VIP" printed on them (not handwritten) and add your information.

UA social media team (Twitter) wrote on August 16 (2017), "Any connection below 13 hours is always checked through to the final destination" in the context of being regardless of being an overnight connection or not.

related thread: UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 22, 14, 10:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by uaflr View Post
I have been told twice UA can only check bags for 24 hrs - then they need to be claimed. ....
24 hours means it is a stop, not a connection.
Old Oct 23, 14, 12:14 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold
Smile

Thai Airways will check your bag all the way to its final destination based on my experience with them. I had a similar situation. I went from Bangkok to Hong Kong for the day; then overnight in Singapore with a connection to Narita in the morning; and finally to Honolulu. Thai Airways attached two baggage routing tags. It took the Thai agent approx. 15 minutes. For security purposes, United verified my Thai issued baggage tags in Singapore prior to boarding the UA flight to Narita. My bag arrived in Honolulu intact and with everything inside.
Old Oct 23, 14, 12:55 am

Programs: UA *G MM
It is not relevant in this case since Thai decides, but UA policy used to be 13 hours.

In 2013 I flew DEN-IAD-NRT and I think the layover was 12 hours and some minutes, arriving after midnight at IAD.
Old Oct 23, 14, 1:08 am

so...uaflr...if my layover is less than 24 hrs, i should be allright then?

let's assume thai will NOT check my bags all the way through...does anyone know what happens to my bags if i land in hong kong, do NOT claim my bags (just don't want to deal with hassle of security, passport, etc...), and board my onward flight to chicago?

thx for all the help, awesome resource,
cb

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 23, 14 at 11:16 am Reason: Merge
Old Oct 23, 14, 7:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cliffordbarnabus View Post
let's assume thai will NOT check my bags all the way through...does anyone know what happens to my bags if i land in hong kong, do NOT claim my bags (just don't want to deal with hassle of security, passport, etc...), and board my onward flight to chicago?
They will be considered abandoned at HKG and probably disposed of there.

Seriously, though, the "hassle of security, passport, etc." seems likely to be much less than that of sitting in the HKG terminal for 17 hours. Even if you don't want to pick up your bags.
Old Oct 23, 14, 9:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by uaflr View Post
I have been told twice UA can only check bags for 24 hrs - then they need to be claimed. I had a O/W to BOS from SEA via SJU. Had to claim bags in SJU, also got to do the early morning FDA check also.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-hr-rules.html

There is no 24 hour rule.
Old Oct 23, 14, 9:48 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
just don't want to deal with hassle of security
Just to reiterate ... you WILL have to deal with the "hassle" of security in HKG regardless what you or you bag do.
Old Oct 23, 14, 8:49 pm
Accor Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC GO, IHG, OZ, NH (no longer UA MP*G thanks to SMJ)(no longer A3 *G due to COVID))
Originally Posted by 1kBill View Post
Just to reiterate ... you WILL have to deal with the "hassle" of security in HKG regardless what you or you bag do.
+1. After landing you have to go through security once before going to departure side again, even if you do not leave air side.

I have not taken a US-bound flight from HKG for a while, but I believe there will be an extra bag search at the boarding gate for US-bound flight. (My experience with UA flight, that is. I can be wrong.)

Security in Hong Kong is not much of a hassle. They aren't TSA gangstaz. Just relax.

...does anyone know what happens to my bags if i land in hong kong, do NOT claim my bags (just don't want to deal with hassle of security, passport, etc...), and board my onward flight to chicago?...
Not taking your bags with you to Chicago??

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 24, 14 at 5:45 am Reason: merge
Old Oct 23, 14, 11:56 pm

REALLY appreciate the help. i wish i could call the airlines but i am a volunteer teacher in super rural india with SIM card internet access (takes forever to post these messages...) and no phone access.

so...it seems there is conflicting information, so i will focus my question:

1. why must i have to deal with security if i land in hong kong and depart from hong kong and my int'l layover is less than 24 hours? (ccu to bkk to sar to chi...one way ticket booked on UA website as an award travel...i.e. ONE continuous ticket)

really, thanks again,
cb
Old Oct 24, 14, 12:17 am

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
1. why must i have to deal with security if i land in hong kong and depart from hong kong and my int'l layover is less than 24 hours? (ccu to bkk to sar to chi...one way ticket booked on UA website as an award travel...i.e. ONE continuous ticket)
Because international transit pax have to re-clear security to reach the departures level at HKIA. This is fairly standard at airports around the world (though there are occasional exceptions; PTY comes to mind).

As others have commented, neither security nor passport control are much of a "hassle" at HKIA. One of the easiest major airports in the world, really. I would definitely head into the city on a 17 hour layover. It's 24 minutes to Central via Airport Express (and slightly less to Kowloon).
Old Oct 24, 14, 5:38 am

ok, so i think i finally understand about security. got it! thanks.

but.....will i have to deal with my bags in hong kong? that's the main thing!

would love to go into city but as a volunteer teacher in india...it'$ not po$$ible! ha
Old Oct 24, 14, 9:10 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by royng View Post
I have not taken a US-bound flight from HKG for a while, but I believe there will be an extra bag search at the boarding gate for US-bound flight. (My experience with UA flight, that is. I can be wrong.)
This applies to all CX USA bound flights as well. They are looking for those dangerous bottles of water and soda that people like to have with them on long haul flights. So don't waste your money buying a bottle of water as it will be confiscated.

Last edited by 1kBill; Oct 24, 14 at 7:58 pm
Old Oct 24, 14, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt explorist
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post

As others have commented, neither security nor passport control are much of a "hassle" at HKIA. .
The "hassle" being at HKIA is there is a secondary security check inside the jet bridge before you board the plane for all US bound flights no matter what airline it is. (Back then when UA had HKG-NRT, even if you terminate at NRT you still have to go thru that check) There they will confiscate all your liquids if it is not inside the zip log bag, so any cans of drink you think you can take it from RCC to consume on board are just a waste.
Old Oct 24, 14, 11:38 am

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG View Post
The "hassle" being at HKIA is there is a secondary security check inside the jet bridge before you board the plane for all US bound flights no matter what airline it is. (Back then when UA had HKG-NRT, even if you terminate at NRT you still have to go thru that check) There they will confiscate all your liquids if it is not inside the zip log bag, so any cans of drink you think you can take it from RCC to consume on board are just a waste.
Compared to airports like BOG or LHR, there is nothing about HKIA I would describe as a "hassle"
Old Oct 24, 14, 11:44 am

yes, yes.....but will i have to deal with or re-checkin my bags?

Search this Thread