Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)

Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 10, 22, 11:33 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: 747FC
Wiki Link
UA policy on connecting bags requiring recheck (updated wording Aug 2017 -- removed 13-hour rule, another update Fall 2018 restored 12-hour rule)
For a trip that includes one or more connection, well check bags to the final destination on your ticket.You'll need to go to baggage claim and re-check your bags if:
  • You chose to have a layover
  • You make a connection that involves an overnight stay
  • Your connecting flight departs more than 12 hours after you arrive at the airport
  • Youre connecting to an itinerary booked on a separate ticket that doesn't include a Star Alliance partner airline
  • Youre traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country
In practice. some have been able to avoid having to claim and re-check bags when on a long connection -- but if the agent insists, the agent is correctly implementing UA's written / published policy. See post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31816944-post390.html for how an agent may be able to help you: They can retrieve a hand-written UA baggage tags that had "Reroute" and "VIP" printed on them (not handwritten) and add your information.

UA social media team (Twitter) wrote on August 16 (2017), "Any connection below 13 hours is always checked through to the final destination" in the context of being regardless of being an overnight connection or not.

related thread: UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 21, 14, 10:01 pm

do i have to claim my luggage (overnight international layover)?

i have a 17 hr overnight layover in hongkong on a united one way award economy ticket. the ticket is from kolkotta to chicago.

will i need to recheck my luggage in hong kong?

it is one continuous ticket, i.e not pieced together one ways...

thx
cb
Old Oct 21, 14, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
I'd recommend picking it up, just from the perspective that it's good to know that it made it as far as Hong Kong. Which airline are you connecting on? Does UA have an interline agreement with that airline?
Old Oct 21, 14, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA Silver
On a 17 hour layover I'd want to claim the bags even if I don't have to, just to ensure the bags and all the stuff in it are safe.
Old Oct 21, 14, 10:53 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
If you don't want the hassle of picking up your luggage while in transit, I wouldn't worry about checking it through. 17 hour connection is nothing out of the ordinary. I'm assuming that the airline from CCU-HKG has interline agreement with UA, of course.
Old Oct 22, 14, 2:44 am

so ccu to bkk and then bkk to hong kong is thai airways. hong kong to chicago is UA. it is all one continuous ticket that came up as a single one way itinerary under "partner flights with stops" on the UA website.

i do NOT want to deal with exiting security and then re-entering passport control etc etc (i'm a usa citizen).

so does anyone know what the rule is for this? i'm not concerned about the bags. nothing valuable really. i just don't want to HAVE to get them as part of this ticket.

thx for all the help,
cb

also, what would happen if i just didn't pick them up. i know we all have horror stories about lost luggage, but, wouldn't the bags eventually catch up with me?

or

would i be denied boarding for my flight out of hong kong?

thx again,
cb

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 22, 14 at 4:50 am Reason: Merge
Old Oct 22, 14, 5:16 am
Accor Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC GO, IHG, OZ, NH (no longer UA MP*G thanks to SMJ)(no longer A3 *G due to COVID))
Originally Posted by cliffordbarnabus View Post

i do NOT want to deal with exiting security and then re-entering passport control etc etc (i'm a usa citizen).....
I believe in your case your luggage should go all the way to Chicago unless you specifically ask for retrieval in Hong Kong. I suggest calling Thai to see what they will/can do when you check in.

Personally I am comfortable leaving my luggage in the hand of ground handling for 17 hours or more. I did a few extended transits (almost 24 hours) in a few cities and so far nothing went terribly wrong (just one piece arrived at destination before I did).

A bit of off-topic here...but are you planning to stay airside for 17 hours overnight? Depending on your arrival and departure time, going landside for a brief tour of Hong Kong / taking rest in a hotel room may be a good idea.
Old Oct 22, 14, 5:47 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
do i have to claim my luggage?

Unlike Singapore, I don't think there's an airside hotel at HKG. U.S. Citizens don't require a visa; believe there are plenty of hotels out by the airport if you don't feel like going into Central or Kowloon.
Old Oct 22, 14, 7:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

i do NOT want to deal with exiting security and then re-entering passport control etc etc (i'm a usa citizen).

I would NOT want to spend 17 hours inside the terminal at HKG, especially where there is so much to see and do in town in that time.

As for the "rule" about the bags, odds are the TG agents will tag them all the way through.
Old Oct 22, 14, 7:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You have posted in the UA form, but should ask to have your post moved to TG or simply call TG to ask TG what it's policy is. As you will check your bags with TG, it is the TG policy which will apply.

As an example, if this were the UA policy, you would be required to pick up your bags at HGK and then recheck them the next day because UA will not through-check "overnight".

This is the UA policy, not necessarily TG's:
Baggage will be checked to a customer's final destination or to a permissible stopover for the fare paid. Customers making connections which involve an overnight stay must claim baggage at the intermediate point and re-check baggage for the connecting flight on the following day.
Old Oct 22, 14, 7:49 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
i do NOT want to deal with exiting security and then re-entering passport control etc etc (I'm a USA citizen).
You will have to reclear security at each of your connecting stops in Asia.

What will you do for the 17 hours in Hong Kong? Stay in the airport? Hang out in a lounge? If you are there overnight, you might need to make sure the lounges will be open.

For that much time, especially if it's overnight, I would get out of the airport and go somewhere. For that much time, I would probably want a hotel and my baggage so I could rest and freshen up. Head on into town - very easy to do on the HKIA Express. And you could probably recheck your bag at their downtown stations.
Old Oct 22, 14, 7:53 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
You have posted in the UA form, but should ask to have your post moved to TG or simply call TG to ask TG what it's policy is. As you will check your bags with TG, it is the TG policy which will apply.

As an example, if this were the UA policy, you would be required to pick up your bags at HGK and then recheck them the next day because UA will not through-check "overnight".

This is the UA policy, not necessarily TG's:
Baggage will be checked to a customer's final destination or to a permissible stopover for the fare paid. Customers making connections which involve an overnight stay must claim baggage at the intermediate point and re-check baggage for the connecting flight on the following day.
There have been many times I have had overnight connections between UA and other carriers on flights to/from SIN and BKK and neither UA nor the other carriers had any problems with checking my bags all the way through.
Old Oct 22, 14, 8:37 am

I checked my bag IAH SFO NRT SIN overnite and with GA to DPS the next AM.

Originally Posted by 1kBill View Post
There have been many times I have had overnight connections between UA and other carriers on flights to/from SIN and BKK and neither UA nor the other carriers had any problems with checking my bags all the way through.
+1.
Old Oct 22, 14, 12:49 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
I always prefer to check it all the way through. Sometimes I have so many connections that they need to attach two luggage tags. If you have separate tickets (not the case for the OP), you need to have the e-ticket number for the connecting flight.
Old Oct 22, 14, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
I read previously that 12 hours is the longest they will check it through, but that was with UA. Sounds like it's up to Thai in your case.
Old Oct 22, 14, 10:21 pm

I have been told twice UA can only check bags for 24 hrs - then they need to be claimed. I had a O/W to BOS from SEA via SJU. Had to claim bags in SJU, also got to do the early morning FDA check also.

Search this Thread