Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)

Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA policy on connecting bags requiring recheck (updated wording Aug 2017 -- removed 13-hour rule, another update Fall 2018 restored 12-hour rule)
For a trip that includes one or more connection, we’ll check bags to the final destination on your ticket.You'll need to go to baggage claim and re-check your bags if:
  • You chose to have a layover
  • You make a connection that involves an overnight stay
  • Your connecting flight departs more than 12 hours after you arrive at the airport
  • You’re connecting to an itinerary booked on a separate ticket that doesn't include a Star Alliance™ partner airline
  • You’re traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country
In practice. some have been able to avoid having to claim and re-check bags when on a long connection -- but if the agent insists, the agent is correctly implementing UA's written / published policy. See post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31816944-post390.html for how an agent may be able to help you: They can retrieve a hand-written UA baggage tags that had "Reroute" and "VIP" printed on them (not handwritten) and add your information.
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Default time is 12 hours. A small number of individual stations are enabled to allow bags to be checked thru for connections greater than 12 hours. Maybe we can build a list based on people's experiences for certain connection points.

I know FCO is up to 16 hours. SIN, HND, FRA, MUC, ZRH, BRU should all allow up to 24 hours.

UA social media team (Twitter) wrote on August 16 (2017), "Any connection below 13 hours is always checked through to the final destination" in the context of being regardless of being an overnight connection or not.

related thread: UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)
UA will not Short Check bags (but some loopholes)
Archive thread: Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)

Old Oct 6, 2023, 4:32 pm

Not directly related, but since I asked before in this thread I'll follow up...
YYZ > EWR > HND, I had a long connection after arriving in EWR (~14.5 hours). Air Canada > United.

Gate and check-in agents at EWR clearly knew nothing (what a surprise lol), I had conflicting answers from both Air Canada and United agents at all levels regarding whether or not my bags would be transferred automatically to United on an overnight layover.
FWIW, my bags were checked through automatically (via check-in kiosk at YYZ) to HND, and I received a text message confirmation from AC stating as such.
AC and United baggage office at EWR Terminal A said it would be checked through to HND, no issues.

End result? Had my flight cancelled (unrelated maintenance issue, sigh United), and was rebooked the following day onto the next EWR HND flight (so total transit time was actually about 41 hours). Luggage was automatically transferred to United despite it being: 1. overnight layover, 2. cancellation and rebooked.
WheelsUpGal likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 10:21 pm

🧳 UA Metal-NH Connections at HND - Baggage >12h but <24h

Hello! I have an upcoming itinerary on United metal (UA131, EWR-HND), transferring on NH to Taipei the next day (23 hour overnight connection, over 12 hours but within 24). This is a 016 United ticket with UA by UA for EWR-HND, and NH by NH for HND-TSA.

My question is, will UA be able to check my bags to Taipei at EWR, given the overnight & >12 hour connection?

I previously asked a similar question for a UA-NH-NH connection at HND on this forum and everyone was incredibly helpful, but this time I am flying United metal transpacific (so UA-NH at HND) rather than (NH-NH at HND), so we have to follow UA rules rather than NH (which allows it)

I cited this forum regarding's HND's exception to the 12 hour rule but United Social Media team claims the overnight factor overrules it and therefore United can't check my bag through.

Implications: If not checked through, I'll "lose" my 70 pound allowance for the NH connection given my Premier Status with UA and have to pay overweight fees for all of my checked bags. I also have 3 large bags so dragging to them to the airport hotel and then doing the T3-T2 transfer the next day will be a pain. Does NH allow bags to be checked in T3 for a T2 flight?

Please chime in if you have firsthand experience or have heard reports! Thank you so much!
Old Oct 26, 2023, 10:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ethanaviation
.... I cited this forum regarding's HND's exception to the 12 hour rule but United Social Media team claims the overnight factor overrules it and therefore United can't check my bag through.,,,
You can safely ignore any front line employee's input. What matters is what is programmed into the computer and this is a complexity I would not expect to get a proper explanation by a front line employee.
ethanaviation likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by JC1694
In a few days, I will be flying from Phoenix PHX to San Francisco SFO and will be arriving at 9/10 am in the morning. Then, I will transfer to a Star alliance carrier-operated international flight that departs 14 hours later.

* Will it be possible for United to check my bags all the way through to the final destination since on their website it says that they won't be able to check bags onto the next fight if the connection is over 12 hours long?
* And also, will it be possible to access the United Polaris Lounge 14 hours prior to departure time?
Hi OP, would you care to share what actually happened and if you were able to through check your bag and/or access the polaris lounge during your trip?
Old Nov 2, 2023, 6:22 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
OP,
A 14 hour layover shouldn't be an issue with your second flight being on *A. I've had some similar connections before and there's never been a problem. Just leave some extra time at check in if the agent needs to call the Help Desk since sometimes they don't have the proper access to make it work. RNO has that issue occaisionaly (UA to OZ anf BR) and the quick phone call gets it done in a couple of minutes.
DeltaOneFlyer likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JC1694 (Post # 607)
14h Layover @ SFO (Checking in Baggage to Final Destination/Polaris Lounge Access))

In a few days, I will be flying from Phoenix PHX to San Francisco SFO and will be arriving at 9/10 am in the morning. Then, I will transfer to a Star alliance carrier-operated international flight that departs 14 hours later.

* Will it be possible for United to check my bags all the way through to the final destination since on their website it says that they won't be able to check bags onto the next fight if the connection is over 12 hours long?
* And also, will it be possible to access the United Polaris Lounge 14 hours prior to departure time?
Originally Posted by jsloan (Post # 608)
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

In general, UA will not check the bags to your final destination. You can ask for an exception, but expect to be told no.

You could use the Polaris Lounge 14 hours before your flight, but why? There are many better ways to spend a day in San Francisco.
Originally Posted by gobaers (Post # 611)
If it's one PNR the bags should interline all the way to your final destination.
Originally Posted by nomad420 (Post # 613)
This has been my experience as well. While I guess technically it is over 12 hrs I have never been told to claim bags and recheck on a long connect (on the same PNR) I have had them longer than 14 hrs.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post # 617)
For UA policy (max 12 hours or not overnight), 1 PNR or separate makes no difference. UA experiences is inconsistent (what's new) and may be more flexible for UA elites. But best to assume negative and be please if UA will.
Originally Posted by emcampbe (# 620)
IME, there are some exceptions to 12 hour rule, though pretty sure not domestically. For example, had ~14 hours between a UA arrival and SQ departure in SIN recently (separate tickets), and was able to have the bags checked through. It took a while, though the time between flights wasn't the issue.
Originally Posted by DeltaOneFlyer (Post # 634)
Hi OP, would you care to share what actually happened and if you were able to through check your bag and/or access the polaris lounge during your trip?
The foregoing answers provide the general consensus. The wiki in this thread makes the important distinction between transfers within the United States and elsewhere. Of the five posts made by the "original poster" (OP) JC1694 in August 2023 before going back to Taiwan, four have been in the Air Canada (AC) forum. So if you want an update here, you might want to send a private message (PM) asking for another post in this thread.

Originally Posted by ttuna3 (Post # 635)
OP,
A 14 hour layover shouldn't be an issue with your second flight being on *A. I've had some similar connections before and there's never been a problem. Just leave some extra time at check in if the agent needs to call the Help Desk since sometimes they don't have the proper access to make it work. RNO has that issue occaisionaly (UA to OZ anf BR) and the quick phone call gets it done in a couple of minutes.
See supra. It makes a difference if the 14-hour layover is at a domestic or international airport.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by ttuna3
OP,
Thanks, so just wanted to double check, when you said you've had similar connection, im assuming the itinerary goes like this, US departure -> UA USA hub (LAX, SFO, etc) -> Asia, and the long (12 hr+) connection is at the USA hub.

Also when you say the check-in desk need to call help desk for proper access, is that referring to tagging the bag all the way through (to overwrite the 12hr+ rule) or referring to printing the partner flight boarding pass? or both? Thanks again.
Old Dec 9, 2023, 8:04 am

Contract agent at YYZ could only check through to LHR, not SIN, flying YYZ-[UA]-ORD-[UA]-LHR-[SQ]-SIN on same ticket with 6h layover in ORD and 12:40 layover in LHR (all daytime and all business class , with no status). She didn't seem to see the onwards flights at all (there's even more, but would have been happy with SIN), based on her reaction when I asked where it was checked through to. Then she asked for my SQ PNR, manually tried to do a "bag rerouting" and got an error message that she showed me that said bag rerouting only applies to UA and UAX operated flights. (Even not knowing how their system works, I would guess this is the wrong process anyways.) She didn't seem to have heard of Singapore Airlines, or know that UA is in an alliance with other airlines, and it seems she never had to deal with an onwards connection to a partner or something (I'm guessing they just go with whatever the system autogenerates). There were 3 other agents standing around gossipping about something someone's friend did to her mom (?) so I interpreted the lack of someone trying to help her as a signal it would be an uphill fight and conceded to picking up the bag in LHR.

Based on the OP, it seems the 12:40 layover precludes checking through under formal policy but can be manually overridden through Help Desk. Obviously dealing with contract staff at an outstation, with no status, did not help, let alone not trying to research the rules myself in advance. The long layover at LHR is due to SQ moving the morning flight to the evening, not my intentional choice, and it's same operational day not overnight, so was surprised this was an issue.

(I was planning to pay for bag storage in LHR for my carryon anyway so I can go sightseeing a bit, so hopefully it's just a wasted $20 to store the big bag and not too much time wasted waiting at the carousel in LHR. I assume the staff in the Polaris lounge at ORD can't coordinate retagging it or something?)
Old Dec 9, 2023, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nazdoom
I assume the staff in the Polaris lounge at ORD can't coordinate retagging it or something?)
At 12h40m, policy is for them to check only to LHR.

I had a similar situation with IAD-LHR-XXX. I then made a same-day flight change to a later IAD-LHR flight while in the Polaris lounge. The agent didn't tell me this -- and might not have known -- but when she changed me to the later flight, cutting my layover to 11h40m, it resulted in my bags being routed to my final destination. I showed up with bag tags in LHR, and, after waiting about an hour, found out my bags were in the transfer area to go to XXX.

So, it is possible to have them re-route your bags in the Polaris lounge, but you might need to reduce the layover to accomplish it. Also, I was on a single ticket, which meant the computer picked it up right away.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
HND is an exception (see wiki). Up to 24 hours is allowed.
just a datapoint since anyone transiting CONUSA-HND-xyz (OAL), will likely transit HND on the same way back

unfortunately SIN NH didnt tag through 12.5 hours for SIN-HND (NH) and HND-EWR (UA), single ticket sold by UA 016

system problem, 12hour max. SIN-HND arriving 5:55am, 12.5hour stopover, 6:25pm HND-EWR

maybe i should have SDC to SFO (5pm, under 12 hour), then SDC back....
Old Dec 11, 2023, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by paperwastage
just a datapoint since anyone transiting CONUSA-HND-xyz (OAL), will likely transit HND on the same way back

unfortunately SIN NH didnt tag through 12.5 hours for SIN-HND (NH) and HND-EWR (UA), single ticket sold by UA 016

system problem, 12hour max. SIN-HND arriving 5:55am, 12.5hour stopover, 6:25pm HND-EWR

Paperwastage, thanks for sharing your experience!

Does everyone think this is a UA-metal problem? I've personally done NH-NH >12h & <24h connections on 016 UA tickets before (e.g. TSA-HND-JFK), and had my bag checked through. So I guess the 12 hour exception applies to anything connecting to NH at HND, but NOT to UA at HND?
Old Dec 11, 2023, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by ethanaviation
Thanks for sharing your experience!

Does everyone think this is a UA-metal problem? I've personally done NH-NH >12h & <24h connections on 016 UA tickets before (e.g. TSA-HND-JFK), and had my bag checked through. So I guess the 12 hour exception applies to anything connecting to NH at HND, but NOT to UA at HND?
no, i think its a SIN NH (system/training) problem. generally i understand NH to be quite lenient on checkthru (even across alliance separate ticket)
SIN checkin counter+supervisor seem to be SATS staff, not ANA staff (not 100% sure)

previously at SIN
separate tickets SIN-HND UA-marketed NH operated, HND-ITM NH
SIN NH counter said system cannot support tag through, didnt argue since I had to pickup bags for HND-ITM leg anyways

didnt bother with this trip given previous trip, and since i know luggage storage(coin locker/manned counter) is possible at HND or elsewhere in tokyo, though HND manned counter gets full quite often and stops accepting bags

Last edited by paperwastage; Dec 11, 2023 at 8:15 pm
Old Dec 12, 2023, 8:17 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by paperwastage

The allowed bag interline time will be based on the check-in carrier. NH in this case, not UA rules.

SDC would have not be an option with NH as the first operating carrier.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 4:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, KrisFlyer Elite Gold, HHonors Diamond
Had a quick back and forth with United's Twitter support, but not entirely sure if the statement is correct: Flying SEA-SFO-FRA-MUC-CPH (all on the same booking). Arriving on UA 58 in FRA (9.35am) I have a stopover there of about 10 hours until I continue with LH 118 (7.15pm). I would like to get to my luggage during the day/stopover. United told me on Twitter on the one hand "Technically, short-checking is not allowed. It will be the airport agent's discretion if they will permit to short-check your baggage. You can ask our airport agent before you check your bag if it's possible to claim it in FRA" but another agent then went on to say "You're required to recheck your checked bags in FRA and in SEA since it's first point of entry in Germany and in the US, which means you may access your checked bag to the connecting airport."

I don't think it's correct that I have to check in my baggage again in FRA, or would that be news to me? However, what is the probability that the baggage can really be short-checked to FRA for this stopover <12h?
Old Dec 13, 2023, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ToKo;35818681H
ad a quick back and forth with United's Twitter support, but not entirely sure if the statement is correct: Flying SEA-SFO-FRA-MUC-CPH (all on the same booking). Arriving on UA 58 in FRA (9.35am) I have a stopover there of about 10 hours until I continue with LH 118 (7.15pm). I would like to get to my luggage during the day/stopover. United told me on Twitter on the one hand "Technically, short-checking is not allowed. It will be the airport agent's discretion if they will permit to short-check your baggage. You can ask our airport agent before you check your bag if it's possible to claim it in FRA" but another agent then went on to say "You're required to recheck your checked bags in FRA and in SEA since it's first point of entry in Germany and in the US, which means you may access your checked bag to the connecting airport."

I don't think it's correct that I have to check in my baggage again in FRA, or would that be news to me? However, what is the probability that the baggage can really be short-checked to FRA for this stopover <12h?
Interesting: I have experienced the opposite. System checking bags thru to LH intra-EU flight, despite 23 hrs overnight layover.
Airport agent did not know how to fix it, senior agent finally got it done "manually".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.