Search
Old Sep 23, 2014, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kmxu
Map of the current setup:

From the first post of the thread:

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

With a lot of activity around the corner at LAX, we’d like to provide you with an update on our long-term construction plans, and what that means for your travel experience in the interim.

Our goal is to offer a world-class experience at our LAX hub, and to that end we will be investing $450 million over the next several years to modernize our facilities and enhance the experience for our customers. Some changes have already occurred, including reconfiguration of multiple gates in Terminal 8 to handle additional narrow-body mainline aircraft. We will begin further improvements later this year, and by the end of 2017 we plan to open:
  • A brand-new check-in lobby and Premier check-in area
  • A dedicated Global Services Reception with direct security lane access
  • A reconfigured and expanded security checkpoint
  • A refurbished baggage claim area
  • Renovated gate-area hold rooms
  • A brand-new United Club with sweeping views and new amenities
To prepare for these changes, we will consolidate our operations into Terminals 7 and 8 over the next few weeks. Here’s what you need to know if you’re traveling to, from or through LAX:

Beginning September 24, 2014, the following changes will occur in the check-in lobby:
  • The Premier Lobby in Terminal 6 will close, and a temporary Premier lobby with Global Services check-in area will be available in Terminal 7
  • Global Services members will be invited to enter LAX curbside through Terminal 7
  • Dedicated Global Services security lanes will also remain available
Beginning October 27, 2014, the following changes will occur in our operations:
  • United will no longer use gates located in Terminal 6 (gates 60, 61, 62, and 63)
  • The United Club in Terminal 6 will close
  • The current United Club in Terminal 7 will continue to be available
  • The current United Global First Lounge in Terminal 7 will convert to a United Club
  • All departing flights and most arriving flights will be consolidated into Terminals 7 & 8
  • Please note: Some international arrivals may use the Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT). These include flights from Sydney and Melbourne, and some flights from Mexico on a seasonal basis.
Thanks for your patience during this transition, and we appreciate your “pardoning our dust” as we work to improve our facilities at LAX.

-UA Insider
Security Checkpoint Setup

During this early stage of the construction, there remain four entry points for United passengers to get through security:

T6 Checkpoint: Although UA will soon cease service out of T6, T6 is connected to T7/C8 by a secured hallway, and the T6 security checkpoint remains a quiet checkpoint with full PreCheck.

T7 West Checkpoint (a/k/a T6.5 West a/k/a T6.4): This is now for general economy passengers only. There is no PreCheck and no Premier lane here now.
The passageway to T7 remains open (guarded from the T7 side by very mean redcoats) and is now clogged with general economy passengers who check in in T7 and must schlep through the hallway to the West-facing checkpoint.
T7 East Checkpoint (a/k/a T6.5 East a/k/a T6.6): This is PreCheck only, with a single line feeding to two TSOs, two x-ray machines, and two WTMDs. This is a probable significant improvement over the prior T6.4 Checkpoint PreCheck setup.

C8 Lower Level Checkpoint: Premier security is now at C8. No real PreCheck at this checkpoint.

T7/T8 to TBIT via tunnel, about 40 min walk with average speed (copied mostly from a blog; http://upgrd.com/blogs/doublewidesfl...-security.html ):

If you are flying through Los Angeles and are connecting airlines, just follow the signs that are located near the far southern end of each terminal to connect via underground tunnel to the other terminals.

When in TBIT, walk past the KE/one world lounge to the end of concourse - take a right handed u turn, up the escalator and the *A lounge is there.

In terminal 4, access the tunnel via the escalator that reads gate 44A-L
Continue to follow the signs to baggage claim, walk past the waiting room is for the bus to Terminal 6 or the American Eagle remote terminal.

to access the tunnels from Delta terminal in T5, the escalator leading to the tunnels is near the entrance to the Sky club near.

The access point from Terminal 6 is near Alaska Airlines' gates, across from the Alaska Airline Board Room and near the Ruby's diner. The tunnel ends at terminal 6, so you must exit the tunnel and access terminal 7 & 8 by above ground walkways which are near the terminal exit and security screening center.
Print Wikipost

PSA: Upcoming LAX Facility Changes

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2014, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

[*]The current United Global First Lounge in Terminal 7 will convert to a United Club[*]

-UA Insider
I haven't seen your response to iluv2fly's question earlier. Will a new GF lounge open and do travelers in Global First have to use the United Club in the meantime?
Old Sep 12, 2014, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Even after the changes probably still one of my least favorite airports to fly into/out of. Dreadful most of the time.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by archcreate
Even after the changes probably still one of my least favorite airports to fly into/out of. Dreadful most of the time.
This post makes zero sense. It's currently a fantastic airport to fly from, from check-in, to security, to the clubs, to the gate areas, to the retail (after the latest overhaul), to the worry-free weather situation.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
With the current set up, I usually make it from curb to UC within 4 minutes. TSA recheck is faster than at any other UA airport I use.

I echo the above sentiments, in that I hope security remains streamlined.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA GS & Million Mile, AA EXP, Hilton Dia, Marriott Plat, Hertz Plat/PC
No GFL and no guidance as to if there will be one in the future? I suppose this is what finally pushes most of my flying over to AA. More transcons JFK-LAX. 3-Cabin classes. Flagship Lounges. Five Star Service.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 8:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
This post makes zero sense. It's currently a fantastic airport to fly from, from check-in, to security, to the clubs, to the gate areas, to the retail (after the latest overhaul), to the worry-free weather situation.
The rental car situation is awful. The worst in the country AFAIK. Leave 45 minutes to return your car if you're flying UA (I just did this yesterday; the shuttle bus took over 30 minutes due to intra-terminal traffic).

And the food options are minimal compared to SFO.

But the weather is great. As with everything SoCal.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 9:13 pm

Good to see the heads up. Hopefully the new setup consolidating T6 doesn't get as jam packed as Delta's T5 setup. That is just dreadful, I think I've roundtripped out of the Sky Club every time over the last year because it's so crowded and the gate area is no better. Punishment for not sticking with United.

Last edited by cerealmarketer; Sep 12, 2014 at 9:25 pm
Old Sep 12, 2014, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority
Thanks for the heads up.
One of the reasons we fly United to the USA from Australia is to avoid the arrival chaos at TBIT.
Flying from Europe last time with another airline made this unavoidable. Took 2 1/2 hours to get thru immi and customs. The place is a zoo.
We will be flying thru SFO from Sydney from now on.
Hopefully a return journey transiting thru LAX back home wont be problem. Can't imagine there would be any changes in that direction.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA GS
Heads up to anyone wanting to experience the "former" GFL and now "new" UC. If you are hoping to find some electrical outlets, you will only find a handful by the three work stations at the far left of the club.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Though it's great to see United investing in LAX, why not swap T7 and T8 for T3 and part of T2? They could then build a connector to TBIT and make improvements to T3 and T2. This would facilitate transiting between United and *A carriers using TBIT or T2.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 10:13 pm

I'll be fine with it if T6 and T7 are connected airside and we are still able to use T6 for security/PreCheck.

Actually, if the new UC gets showers (like AA and DL at LAX), I will more than welcome the renovation and tolerate whatever inconvenience we may have for now.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 10:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by grapegrower
One of the reasons we fly United to the USA from Australia is to avoid the arrival chaos at TBIT.
Flying from Europe last time with another airline made this unavoidable. Took 2 1/2 hours to get thru immi and customs. The place is a zoo.
Have you done TBIT lately, since they completed the remodel? I came through on Wednesday morning and it was amazingly fast and efficient. A huge new space and very well staffed. There must be fifty GE terminals.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by intltax
Though it's great to see United investing in LAX, why not swap T7 and T8 for T3 and part of T2? They could then build a connector to TBIT and make improvements to T3 and T2. This would facilitate transiting between United and *A carriers using TBIT or T2.
TBIT and T7 will soon be connected airside. This proposal is overkill times a million.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
I'd rather have a UC in T-8 than a second one in T-7. With UA vacating T-6, I'm sure T-8 will have more flights leaving out of there.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by Fanjet
I'd rather have a UC in T-8 than a second one in T-7. With UA vacating T-6, I'm sure T-8 will have more flights leaving out of there.
There's ultimately only going to be one UC. I'd guess that they're not putting the temporary second one in T8 because there isn't room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.