Search
Old Sep 23, 2014, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kmxu
Map of the current setup:

From the first post of the thread:

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

With a lot of activity around the corner at LAX, we’d like to provide you with an update on our long-term construction plans, and what that means for your travel experience in the interim.

Our goal is to offer a world-class experience at our LAX hub, and to that end we will be investing $450 million over the next several years to modernize our facilities and enhance the experience for our customers. Some changes have already occurred, including reconfiguration of multiple gates in Terminal 8 to handle additional narrow-body mainline aircraft. We will begin further improvements later this year, and by the end of 2017 we plan to open:
  • A brand-new check-in lobby and Premier check-in area
  • A dedicated Global Services Reception with direct security lane access
  • A reconfigured and expanded security checkpoint
  • A refurbished baggage claim area
  • Renovated gate-area hold rooms
  • A brand-new United Club with sweeping views and new amenities
To prepare for these changes, we will consolidate our operations into Terminals 7 and 8 over the next few weeks. Here’s what you need to know if you’re traveling to, from or through LAX:

Beginning September 24, 2014, the following changes will occur in the check-in lobby:
  • The Premier Lobby in Terminal 6 will close, and a temporary Premier lobby with Global Services check-in area will be available in Terminal 7
  • Global Services members will be invited to enter LAX curbside through Terminal 7
  • Dedicated Global Services security lanes will also remain available
Beginning October 27, 2014, the following changes will occur in our operations:
  • United will no longer use gates located in Terminal 6 (gates 60, 61, 62, and 63)
  • The United Club in Terminal 6 will close
  • The current United Club in Terminal 7 will continue to be available
  • The current United Global First Lounge in Terminal 7 will convert to a United Club
  • All departing flights and most arriving flights will be consolidated into Terminals 7 & 8
  • Please note: Some international arrivals may use the Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT). These include flights from Sydney and Melbourne, and some flights from Mexico on a seasonal basis.
Thanks for your patience during this transition, and we appreciate your “pardoning our dust” as we work to improve our facilities at LAX.

-UA Insider
Security Checkpoint Setup

During this early stage of the construction, there remain four entry points for United passengers to get through security:

T6 Checkpoint: Although UA will soon cease service out of T6, T6 is connected to T7/C8 by a secured hallway, and the T6 security checkpoint remains a quiet checkpoint with full PreCheck.

T7 West Checkpoint (a/k/a T6.5 West a/k/a T6.4): This is now for general economy passengers only. There is no PreCheck and no Premier lane here now.
The passageway to T7 remains open (guarded from the T7 side by very mean redcoats) and is now clogged with general economy passengers who check in in T7 and must schlep through the hallway to the West-facing checkpoint.
T7 East Checkpoint (a/k/a T6.5 East a/k/a T6.6): This is PreCheck only, with a single line feeding to two TSOs, two x-ray machines, and two WTMDs. This is a probable significant improvement over the prior T6.4 Checkpoint PreCheck setup.

C8 Lower Level Checkpoint: Premier security is now at C8. No real PreCheck at this checkpoint.

T7/T8 to TBIT via tunnel, about 40 min walk with average speed (copied mostly from a blog; http://upgrd.com/blogs/doublewidesfl...-security.html ):

If you are flying through Los Angeles and are connecting airlines, just follow the signs that are located near the far southern end of each terminal to connect via underground tunnel to the other terminals.

When in TBIT, walk past the KE/one world lounge to the end of concourse - take a right handed u turn, up the escalator and the *A lounge is there.

In terminal 4, access the tunnel via the escalator that reads gate 44A-L
Continue to follow the signs to baggage claim, walk past the waiting room is for the bus to Terminal 6 or the American Eagle remote terminal.

to access the tunnels from Delta terminal in T5, the escalator leading to the tunnels is near the entrance to the Sky club near.

The access point from Terminal 6 is near Alaska Airlines' gates, across from the Alaska Airline Board Room and near the Ruby's diner. The tunnel ends at terminal 6, so you must exit the tunnel and access terminal 7 & 8 by above ground walkways which are near the terminal exit and security screening center.
Print Wikipost

PSA: Upcoming LAX Facility Changes

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2014, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K Flyer
I'm happy to hear the baggage area is getting renovated. The current set up feels like a 3rd world country; a complete disaster and 30 min wait for bags.

The new clubs sound nice since the current ones look like Hyatt Lobbies from 1992, but since it is United I doubt even the new renovated clubs will be worth the out of pocket cost (if business pays for it, great!). Hoping Amex puts one of their lounges at LAX.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
I wasn't clear. While the 6.5 checkpoint will stay for now, my understanding is that access will flow from the T7 side. I hope what I've been told is incorrect.
Ah, gotcha.

Originally Posted by Danny1K
I'm happy to hear the baggage area is getting renovated. The current set up feels like a 3rd world country; a complete disaster and 30 min wait for bags.

The new clubs sound nice since the current ones look like Hyatt Lobbies from 1992, but since it is United I doubt even the new renovated clubs will be worth the out of pocket cost (if business pays for it, great!). Hoping Amex puts one of their lounges at LAX.
There's only going to be one new club, unless you're also talking about the GFL (which will likely be inside the single UC).
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
The "6.5" checkpoint will continue to exist after this change and until the new checkpoint is constructed. The question that was being asked is which side it will be accessed from. I haven't seen a definitive answer. Like others, I would really like it to be from the T6 side.
Yes, that is what I was asking. I agree that the T6 side (6.5) is better, but I fear that they will fuse the 6.5 doors shut and we'll be stuck with 'everyone else' in T7.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 6:00 am

Hi all,

This thread seems to be mostly about lounge access, but given that I am flying through LAX tomorrow for the 2nd time ever (and I didn't much like the first time last month!) I hope that you can help….

Does this affect the terminal that I arrive at or leave from? I will be flying PVG-LAX tomorrow, have a 13 hour layover and then fly out at 6am LAX-SFO, all on United, all in Business and have *G status. I will have carryon only and will try to check in online for my LAX-SFO (and further SFO-YYJ) flights, but don't know if I will be able to print out boarding passes in my short Hampton stay if this matters.

Given the early hour and the fact that I expect to(?) get breakfast on the LAX-SFO flight I'm not bothered about lounge access.

Thanks

Dr. PITUK.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 6:27 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by painintheuk
Given the early hour and the fact that I expect to(?) get breakfast on the LAX-SFO flight I'm not bothered about lounge access.

Thanks

Dr. PITUK.
Even though you are an AC status holder you will not have access to a lounge prior to your LAX-SFO flight. Even if you did, the breakfast items are minimal at best.

Also, you will not receive a meal on your flight. Flights of this length receive a snack basket. You may be served a small scone.

Welcome to the U.S.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 6:38 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Even though you are an AC status holder you will not have access to a lounge prior to your LAX-SFO flight.
Why not? He is a non-UA Star-Gold flying on a Star Alliance flight. Last time I checked, that entitles him to lounge access at the aircraft of departure, even if a purely UA domestic flight. Am I missing something?

Even if you did, the breakfast items are minimal at best.
You can say that twice. You can surely find something cold to eat and some fruit, so I guess the best you can say is that it will be a Continental breakfast.

Also, you will not receive a meal on your flight. Flights of this length receive a snack basket. You may be served a small scone.
The flight is only in the air for about 55-minutes. Hard to expect much in this day and age on such a brief flight.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 7:13 am

Even though you are an AC status holder you will not have access to a lounge prior to your LAX-SFO flight. Even if you did, the breakfast items are minimal at best.

Welcome to the U.S.
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Why not? He is a non-UA Star-Gold flying on a Star Alliance flight. Last time I checked, that entitles him to lounge access at the aircraft of departure, even if a purely UA domestic flight. Am I missing something?

You can say that twice. You can surely find something cold to eat and some fruit, so I guess the best you can say is that it will be a Continental breakfast.

The flight is only in the air for about 55-minutes. Hard to expect much in this day and age on such a brief flight.
Hi all,

Thanks for the quick replies about the food service. I know I am entitled to lounge access, though I do know the typical offerings in the US! (I'm in Business class and even in Y I get *A access, and I have a Priority Pass just in case.) Thanks for letting me know about in-flight service. I didn't think about how much taxi-ing time would be included in LAX and SFO giving such a short flight time. I will buy a snack on the way. I will be so out of kilter on time zone I'll be thinking about dinner! I also have 3+ hours in SFO. I'm regretting booking this routing for all sorts of reasons, but at the time it seemed the best option!

Any more info about arriving and departing terminals, security, immigration, check-in (priority available for for security or immigration?) would be welcome. I realize that Search will give a lot of this, but it was the changes going on that prompted me to ask in the first place so I don't know if any of this will already be stale.

Thanks

Dr. PITUK
Old Sep 23, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by painintheuk
Any more info about arriving and departing terminals, security, immigration, check-in (priority available for for security or immigration?) would be welcome. I realize that Search will give a lot of this, but it was the changes going on that prompted me to ask in the first place so I don't know if any of this will already be stale.
PVG-LAX you will arrive in T7 and will need to clear US immigration and customs. No priority at immigration, unless you have Global Entry. (I'm not sure if those CBP kiosks are available at T7). If it's all on 1 ticket, the UA staff at PVG can issue your onward LAX-SFO-YYJ boarding passes. LAX-SFO will also depart out of T7, though I assume you'll head to a hotel for your 13h connection.

For security, there's an elite/business class line.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Does anyone know what will happen with Copa flights? Will they continue to fly out of T6? If so, what lounge will be easily accessible?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 8:50 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, BA Silver, Marriott Plat., Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis First
Originally Posted by hirohito888
PVG-LAX you will arrive in T7 and will need to clear US immigration and customs. No priority at immigration, unless you have Global Entry. (I'm not sure if those CBP kiosks are available at T7). If it's all on 1 ticket, the UA staff at PVG can issue your onward LAX-SFO-YYJ boarding passes. LAX-SFO will also depart out of T7, though I assume you'll head to a hotel for your 13h connection.

For security, there's an elite/business class line.
This is all good advice. Also note that the security lines can be very long in the early morning (you SFO flight is at 6am, right?). Given the switch to T7 that morning it is likely that the usually chaotic environment in T7 will be even worse. If I were flying out on Wednesday I would still go to T6, where the lines are almost always much, much shorter. T6-8 are all connected airside, so you can go through security in T6 and then walk to your gate...
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:35 am

Even though you are an AC status holder you will not have access to a lounge prior to your LAX-SFO flight.
Sigh. How effectively UA keeps perpetuating this myth.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:54 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Muckus
T6-8 are all connected airside, so you can go through security in T6 and then walk to your gate...
Has it definitively been determined that we will still be able to go through security at T6 after the switch? Obviously this would only be useful for those of us with Precheck as other preferred access will be removed. T-6 precheck is so speedy that I would hate to lose it even though I always fly on p.s. out of T7 anyway.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by nycityny
Has it definitively been determined that we will still be able to go through security at T6 after the switch? Obviously this would only be useful for those of us with Precheck as other preferred access will be removed. T-6 precheck is so speedy that I would hate to lose it even though I always fly on p.s. out of T7 anyway.
Just use a phone boarding pass and they won't see what airline anyway. Scan and go.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 12:02 pm

The secured hallway will almost certainly remain open.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Plat
The airport tweeted the other day that any same-day boarding pass will get you into any LAX terminal, even if it's not the terminal your flight is out of. (And they specifically claimed the TSA will allow this.) So presumably you could enter through 5, 6 or 7 -- and soon 4, and someday TBIT!

http://twitter.com/flyLAXairport/sta...94283161239553

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.