Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Interline Baggage Agreements (single PNR / ticket)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
There is another thread for interlining bags when on separate PNR / tickets, see Bag Interlining Changes If Separate Tix with *A & Non *A Partners after 1 March 2015

Bag interlining (also known as “interline luggage”) is a voluntary commercial agreement between individual airlines to handle passengers bags traveling on itineraries that require multiple airlines, even if not the same alliance (if on a single PNR).

UA's interlining agreement list (May 2022)
Code:
MAY CHECK BAGGAGE TO
 AA AC AD AF AH AI AM AR AS AV AW AX AY AZ
 A3 BA BB BE BI BM BR BT BW CI CM CS CX CZ
 DL EI EN ET EV EW EY FB FI FJ FM FV GA GF
 GK G3 HA HO HP HU HX IB JJ JL JO JP JQ J2
 KA KC KE KG KL KM KQ KS KU KX LA LH LM LO
 LP LR LX LY MD ME MF MH MI MK MQ MS MU MX
 NH NU NX NZ OA OK OM OO OS OU OZ O6 PG PR
 PS PX PZ QF RO SA SK SN SQ SU SZ S2 S4 S7
 TA TG TJ TK TP T0 UA UK UL UN UP UX VA VN
 VS VT VW WF WK WM WP WY XF XL XQ ZH 2K 3K
 3M 3U 4B 4Q 4U 4Y 4Z 7C 7H 9B 9K 9W 9X
Bagagge - Connecting flights

For a trip that includes one or more connections, United will check bags to the final destination stated on the ticket. Your connecting flight must depart within 12 hours of your arrival at the airport in order for your bags to transfer automatically. United will generally transport checked baggage on the same flight as the traveler. If this is not practical, United will arrange to transport the baggage on the next flight with available space.
You'll need to claim and re-check baggage if you are:
  • Making a voluntary stopover
  • Making a connection that involves an overnight stay
  • Connecting to an itinerary booked on a separate ticket that doesn't include a Star Alliance partner airline
  • Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country
Print Wikipost

UA Interline Baggage Agreements (single PNR / ticket)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:48 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by smxflyer
I'm flying SYR-EWR-DEL-LKO all on one ticket. The layover in DEL is 9.5 hrs and DEL-LKO is on AI. I'm Prem Gold and am planning to bring 3 bags. Will UA be able to check in my bag all the way to LKO with that long of a layover? ...
As long as not an overnight layover, you should be fine

If the return is a similar routing, your bag allowance will be based on the ticket rules and AI's *G allowance (no UA's) = probably +1 bag at ticket allowance weight
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
As long as not an overnight layover, you should be fine

If the return is a similar routing, your bag allowance will be based on the ticket rules and AI's *G allowance (no UA's) = probably +1 bag at ticket allowance weight
Technically it is "overnight." Arrive into DEL 9:30 PM and depart for LKO 7:05 AM the next morning.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by smxflyer
Technically it is "overnight." Arrive into DEL 9:30 PM and depart for LKO 7:05 AM the next morning.
Techincal UA can decline overnight situations but many agents will check thru.
Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)
Old Nov 28, 2018, 6:39 am

Hello,

I am flying ORD-CDG-BEY on one ticket. My flight from ORD to CDG will be on United however my flight from CDG to BEY will be on Middle East Airlines (MEA). I was wondering whether United would be able to check my bags through to BEY (Beirut).
Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by agandraos
Hello,

I am flying ORD-CDG-BEY on one ticket. My flight from ORD to CDG will be on United however my flight from CDG to BEY will be on Middle East Airlines (MEA). I was wondering whether United would be able to check my bags through to BEY (Beirut).
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

UA has a full set of interline agreements with Middle East Airlines (ME). Because you're traveling on a single ticket, they will be able to check luggage through to BEY.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: Co-Onepass, Delta-Useless Skymiles
Lightbulb Baggage interline question - Star Alliance partners - EWR to PEK to India

Hello everyone, long time lurker here, I have a picked up a business saver rewards ticket and the air travel consist of

EWR (UA 89) to PEK (CA 947) - 7 hour layover to DEL (AI 19) 4 hour layover to AMD

Where would my bags would be picked up and rechecked in PEK or DEL?

UA representative could not answer my question as I'm bamboozled as well.. I would think UA would check through DEL?
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
[EDIT: Nevermind, OP is on one ticket.]

Last edited by gengar; Mar 6, 2019 at 9:55 pm
Old Mar 6, 2019, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Dhamal
Hello everyone, long time lurker here, I have a picked up a business saver rewards ticket and the air travel consist of

EWR (UA 89) to PEK (CA 947) - 7 hour layover to DEL (AI 19) 4 hour layover to AMD

UA representative could not answer my question as I'm bamboozled as well.. I would think UA would check through DEL?
is this 1 ticket? Are you concerned about interlining or whether you may have to pick up your bags in-between.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: Co-Onepass, Delta-Useless Skymiles
Hi, yes it's purchased on one ticket purchase with 3 different airlines
Old Mar 6, 2019, 11:28 am

On a single ticket, UA will interline to the destination in most cases
Connecting flights
For a trip that includes one or more connections, United will check bags to the final destination stated on the ticket. Your connecting flight must depart within 12 hours of your arrival at the airport in order for your bags to transfer automatically. United will generally transport checked baggage on the same flight as the traveler. If this is not practical, United will arrange to transport the baggage on the next flight with available space. You'll need to claim and re-check baggage if you are:
  • Making a voluntary stopover
  • Making a connection that involves an overnight stay
  • Connecting to an itinerary booked on a separate ticket that doesn't include a Star Alliance partner airline
  • Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country
The bags should be checked to DEL (at least) unless there is an overnight at PEK. Wheater or not they can be checked to AMD is unclear -- the domestic flight issue depends on local customs rules and how connected the domestic and international terminals are.
Dhamal likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 6, 2019 at 11:38 am
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Hi, yes it's purchased on one ticket purchase with 3 different airlines
If it's on one ticket, there should be no problems. (Sorry, thought in your OP you meant you were interlining on separate tickets.)
Old Jul 7, 2019, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA 2MM PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Checked bag connecting with Aer Lingus

We are flying from SFO-AMS-DUB, business class on UA from SFO-AMS connecting to an Aer Lingus flight AMS-DUB in coach.

The ticket was bought through Expedia, and appears to be all on UA ticket stock. When we check bags in at SFO, will they be checked through to DUB or will we need to reclaim and recheck in AMS? If the former, will UA's business class check bag allowance hold for both legs? If the latter, will Aer Lingus's coach allowance be in effect?

On the UA website, they say that they will check it all the way through except when
Aer Lingus is not a Star Alliance partner, of course, but just wanted to confirm we're OK if it's all on a UA ticket.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 7, 2019 at 8:42 pm Reason: moved to exisiting thread
Old Jul 7, 2019, 8:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
If it's all one ticket, there's no issue even if it isn't a *A partner.
JHunter and zeer0 like this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by JHunter
We are flying from SFO-AMS-DUB, business class on UA from SFO-AMS connecting to an Aer Lingus flight AMS-DUB in coach.

The ticket was bought through Expedia, and appears to be all on UA ticket stock. When we check bags in at SFO, will they be checked through to DUB or will we need to reclaim and recheck in AMS? If the former, will UA's business class check bag allowance hold for both legs? If the latter, will Aer Lingus's coach allowance be in effect?

On the UA website, they say that they will check it all the way through except when
Aer Lingus is not a Star Alliance partner, of course, but just wanted to confirm we're OK if it's all on a UA ticket.
As you appear to be on a single ticket, the next criteria is if UA & EI have a bag interline agreement, which they do. UA has bag interlining agreements with most major airlines and this goes well beyond *A partners

An example of an airline without a UA bag interline agreement is WN (SouthWest)
JHunter likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 8:55 pm
st3

Programs: United MP
Got another one. The website was giving me limited options on my outbound flight (below) and knowing there were more connection options I decided to do it as a multi-city ticket instead. Can my bags be checked all the way to GVA or will I have to re-check at LHR? This flight isn't a codeshare so it does concern me a bit. I would have the time in LHR but that is a huge hassle I would rather not deal with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.