Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Interline Baggage Agreements (single PNR / ticket)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
There is another thread for interlining bags when on separate PNR / tickets, see Bag Interlining Changes If Separate Tix with *A & Non *A Partners after 1 March 2015

Bag interlining (also known as “interline luggage”) is a voluntary commercial agreement between individual airlines to handle passengers bags traveling on itineraries that require multiple airlines, even if not the same alliance (if on a single PNR).

UA's interlining agreement list (May 2022)
Code:
MAY CHECK BAGGAGE TO
 AA AC AD AF AH AI AM AR AS AV AW AX AY AZ
 A3 BA BB BE BI BM BR BT BW CI CM CS CX CZ
 DL EI EN ET EV EW EY FB FI FJ FM FV GA GF
 GK G3 HA HO HP HU HX IB JJ JL JO JP JQ J2
 KA KC KE KG KL KM KQ KS KU KX LA LH LM LO
 LP LR LX LY MD ME MF MH MI MK MQ MS MU MX
 NH NU NX NZ OA OK OM OO OS OU OZ O6 PG PR
 PS PX PZ QF RO SA SK SN SQ SU SZ S2 S4 S7
 TA TG TJ TK TP T0 UA UK UL UN UP UX VA VN
 VS VT VW WF WK WM WP WY XF XL XQ ZH 2K 3K
 3M 3U 4B 4Q 4U 4Y 4Z 7C 7H 9B 9K 9W 9X
Bagagge - Connecting flights

For a trip that includes one or more connections, United will check bags to the final destination stated on the ticket. Your connecting flight must depart within 12 hours of your arrival at the airport in order for your bags to transfer automatically. United will generally transport checked baggage on the same flight as the traveler. If this is not practical, United will arrange to transport the baggage on the next flight with available space.
You'll need to claim and re-check baggage if you are:
  • Making a voluntary stopover
  • Making a connection that involves an overnight stay
  • Connecting to an itinerary booked on a separate ticket that doesn't include a Star Alliance partner airline
  • Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country
Print Wikipost

UA Interline Baggage Agreements (single PNR / ticket)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2018, 9:56 am

deleted. Not sure because it was non *A but one ticket.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 10:09 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hookthem
... I have never had this issue before (though I am usually in paid J on the VN flight). Is it kosher for VN to ask for money for my excess baggage mid-itinerary? I thought it would have been handled by United when I checked in?
Airlines that have bag interline agreements (as UA & VN have while being in different alliances), agree to received bags from the other airline at no additional charge. So the request appears to have been improper but you have little power even they choose to attempt to charge, fortunately you were able to resolve the issue.

One caveat we only know if there is an interlining agreement between the airlines, the details of that agreement are generally not public.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 16, 2018 at 10:15 am Reason: caveat
Old Jun 16, 2018, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hookthem
Is it kosher for VN to ask for money for my excess baggage mid-itinerary? I thought it would have been handled by United when I checked in?
The intent of the DOT regulation is that interlining carriers not be allowed to hold your bags hostage in this situation. If you paid the necessary fees to UA for the third bag -- which may well have been zero, based on status -- it's on UA to compensate VN for the luggage.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan
The intent of the DOT regulation is that interlining carriers not be allowed to hold your bags hostage in this situation. If you paid the necessary fees to UA for the third bag -- which may well have been zero, based on status -- it's on UA to compensate VN for the luggage.
Does this hold for I/D transfers or change of airport where you need to re-check the bag?
Old Jun 16, 2018, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
Does this hold for I/D transfers or change of airport where you need to re-check the bag?
The intent of the rule definitely covers intra-airport self transfers, and I've successfully picked up UA-tagged bags at CTU and dropped them off at the ticket counter for an onward MU flight. How much luck you'd have in practice, I can't really say. For an inter-airport transfer, I'd say it's murkier. If I already had bags tagged to my final destination, I'd expect / hope that the carrier would honor them. If not, I'd expect that I'd have to pay.

Here's a page with a link to a PowerPoint presentation that the DOT put together on the effects of 399.87, which is the regulation covering the baggage allowance rule: https://www.transportation.gov/airco...age-provisions . Here's a quote:

(Practical effect of the regulation):
To ensure that a passenger is not surprised partway through their itinerary by a lower baggage allowance or higher fees.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: 1K
Thanks for all of the replies! This helps a lot. I guess I just got unlucky with the gate agent who was entering my tags.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The intent of the rule definitely covers intra-airport self transfers, and I've successfully picked up UA-tagged bags at CTU and dropped them off at the ticket counter for an onward MU flight. How much luck you'd have in practice, I can't really say. For an inter-airport transfer, I'd say it's murkier. If I already had bags tagged to my final destination, I'd expect / hope that the carrier would honor them. If not, I'd expect that I'd have to pay.
Makes sense... in terms of airport transfer I was thinking things like NRT to HND or EWR to JFK. It seems like you'd be rolling the dice every time you go to a new counter, but have a leg up if there is a properly scannable tag. I'm considering having to deal with this I/D in Australia which is basically an airport switch (cross-alliance too since no *A in Oz) and I'm getting the sense it's just "not enough data to be sure" regarding onward through-checked baggage.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
Makes sense... in terms of airport transfer I was thinking things like NRT to HND or EWR to JFK. It seems like you'd be rolling the dice every time you go to a new counter, but have a leg up if there is a properly scannable tag. I'm considering having to deal with this I/D in Australia which is basically an airport switch (cross-alliance too since no *A in Oz) and I'm getting the sense it's just "not enough data to be sure" regarding onward through-checked baggage.
Sorry, yes; I should have been more clear. I knew that's what you meant. And I agree with your conclusions -- if the bag isn't tagged through, I'd say you're likely to have to pay baggage fees anew (using the fees for the first marketing carrier, of course). If it is tagged through, I'd hope you could just get it scanned and accepted.

As for "not enough data to be sure," I'd suggest checking with the Qantas or VA forum -- or Jetstar, but I've heard a lot of bad things... -- since I think it's less a matter of UA's policy than what QF/VA will do when you arrive.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As for "not enough data to be sure," I'd suggest checking with the Qantas or VA forum -- or Jetstar, but I've heard a lot of bad things... -- since I think it's less a matter of UA's policy than what QF/VA will do when you arrive.
Good point. There's a chance of needing a separate ticket anyway, so I may just have to find a way to keep my bag under 50lbs this time
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Silver Medallion
"Connecting" on a multi-city ticket

Hi,

I am considering purchasing a multi-city itinerary from United that contains two one-ways on the same day, with about two hours in between. I read on a thread from 2016 about UA agents have difficulty through-checking bags on two separate itineraries, but curious if that would still be the outcome if the flights are all on the same PNR? Are there any downsides to doing this, assuming I can get it to ticket?

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Same PNR shouldn't be a problem. You'll likely have more trouble getting the bag checked to the stop than getting it sent to the final destination.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12
Same PNR shouldn't be a problem. You'll likely have more trouble getting the bag checked to the stop than getting it sent to the final destination.
Agree completely. Absent an extraordinary circumstance, UA's computers will consider this a connection when you go to check in, despite having purchased it as a multi-city itinerary.
findark likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Silver Medallion
Excellent, TY both for putting my mind at ease!
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by LAXtoCHI
Hi,

I am considering purchasing a multi-city itinerary from United that contains two one-ways on the same day, with about two hours in between. I read on a thread from 2016 about UA agents have difficulty through-checking bags on two separate itineraries, but curious if that would still be the outcome if the flights are all on the same PNR? Are there any downsides to doing this, assuming I can get it to ticket?

Thanks in advance.
You are asking two different questions here. The net answer to both is yes, UA will check your bag through, although one may take the agent a bit of work.
If it is the same PNR, you are not purchasing two "one-ways". Rather you are purchasing a ticket with a connection and 100% your bag will be checked through without issue. (sbm12 is right, it would be hard to get the bag stopped at the connection.)
If it is two " one-ways " purchased separately, UA will still check your bag through, but, the agent will need to 'trick' the computer into doing it. The last time I did it, it took about 10-15 minutes to get the computer to 'accept it'. It was no big deal, but just allow a little extra time for the agent to make it happen.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I'm flying SYR-EWR-DEL-LKO all on one ticket. The layover in DEL is 9.5 hrs and DEL-LKO is on AI. I'm Prem Gold and am planning to bring 3 bags. Will UA be able to check in my bag all the way to LKO with that long of a layover? I know AI bag allowance for Star Gold is not 3 bags x 70 lbs, so want to make sure I won't have any surprises or charges at DEL. I know that I'll have to claim the bags at DEL and recheck, but I did that recently connecting to Jet and they accepted my bags with no issues as they were tagged to LKO. That layover was 4.5 hrs so the baggage tag at SYR spit out the tag through to LKO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.