Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Interline Baggage Agreements (single PNR / ticket)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
There is another thread for interlining bags when on separate PNR / tickets, see Bag Interlining Changes If Separate Tix with *A & Non *A Partners after 1 March 2015

Bag interlining (also known as “interline luggage”) is a voluntary commercial agreement between individual airlines to handle passengers bags traveling on itineraries that require multiple airlines, even if not the same alliance (if on a single PNR).

UA's interlining agreement list (May 2022)
Code:
MAY CHECK BAGGAGE TO
 AA AC AD AF AH AI AM AR AS AV AW AX AY AZ
 A3 BA BB BE BI BM BR BT BW CI CM CS CX CZ
 DL EI EN ET EV EW EY FB FI FJ FM FV GA GF
 GK G3 HA HO HP HU HX IB JJ JL JO JP JQ J2
 KA KC KE KG KL KM KQ KS KU KX LA LH LM LO
 LP LR LX LY MD ME MF MH MI MK MQ MS MU MX
 NH NU NX NZ OA OK OM OO OS OU OZ O6 PG PR
 PS PX PZ QF RO SA SK SN SQ SU SZ S2 S4 S7
 TA TG TJ TK TP T0 UA UK UL UN UP UX VA VN
 VS VT VW WF WK WM WP WY XF XL XQ ZH 2K 3K
 3M 3U 4B 4Q 4U 4Y 4Z 7C 7H 9B 9K 9W 9X
Bagagge - Connecting flights

For a trip that includes one or more connections, United will check bags to the final destination stated on the ticket. Your connecting flight must depart within 12 hours of your arrival at the airport in order for your bags to transfer automatically. United will generally transport checked baggage on the same flight as the traveler. If this is not practical, United will arrange to transport the baggage on the next flight with available space.
You'll need to claim and re-check baggage if you are:
  • Making a voluntary stopover
  • Making a connection that involves an overnight stay
  • Connecting to an itinerary booked on a separate ticket that doesn't include a Star Alliance partner airline
  • Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country
Print Wikipost

UA Interline Baggage Agreements (single PNR / ticket)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2015, 11:23 am

I have a question on interlining.

It is often quoted that United (other airlines presumably) will not interline your baggage between 2 flights on separate PNRs, if your connection is over 24 hours.

I have also seen comment that a request to interline will/may be denied if the flight one intends to interline baggage to is over 24 hours after the original flight of a multi-flight itinerary, even though the final connection might be very short.

Is the latter accurate?

Thanks
Old Aug 24, 2015, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by kilo
I have a question on interlining.

It is often quoted that United (other airlines presumably) will not interline your baggage between 2 flights on separate PNRs, if your connection is over 24 hours.

I have also seen comment that a request to interline will/may be denied if the flight one intends to interline baggage to is over 24 hours after the original flight of a multi-flight itinerary, even though the final connection might be very short.

Is the latter accurate?

Thanks
A connection - online or interline - cannot exceed 23hr 59mn, unless the travel is wholly within North America where the limit is 3hr 59mn. Whenever one has a stopover (e.g. not a connection), any checked baggage must be re-claimed at point of stopover.

Your latter case is, I believe, nothing but false urban legend.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 8:49 am

I'm connecting on a flight in Kona next month from HA to UA. Will HA interline my bags to my UA flight to the mainland or will I have to claim and recheck them? The ticket is booked on UA stock.

-R

Last edited by Red68; Aug 26, 2015 at 9:13 am
Old Aug 26, 2015, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Red68
I'm connecting on a flight in Kona next month from HA to UA. Will HA interline my bags to my UA flight to the mainland or will I have to claim and recheck them? The ticket is booked on UA stock.
They will interline, but you'll have to pay HA baggage fees. Long thread on that one here.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:45 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by aacharya
They will interline, but you'll have to pay HA baggage fees. Long thread on that one here.
Depending on how many bags you're checking, it may be cost effective to buy-up to F on the interisland flight. This can give you a nicer ride for TODs if you've got a couple of bags to check.

You can buy up during on line check-in and from the kiosk, if space is available.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 8:18 am

Programs: Former 1K turned UA Kettle
IAH-LHR-DUB return. I assume at IAH i can check bags thru to DUB (LHR-DUB is on EI). Question is, can I check bags through to IAH from DUB? Also, UA segment is in P so 2 bags free - will that be honored in DUB coming back despite EI being in Y?
Old Jun 1, 2016, 8:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by UTex09
IAH-LHR-DUB return. I assume at IAH i can check bags thru to DUB (LHR-DUB is on EI). Question is, can I check bags through to IAH from DUB? Also, UA segment is in P so 2 bags free - will that be honored in DUB coming back despite EI being in Y?
Your e-ticket receipt should show your baggage allowance by segment. What does it show for the xDUB segment on EI. The system is pretty good and it is what the EI agent ought to see on his screen when you check in. It ought to show the same allowance as for your x IAH.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 8:58 am

Programs: Former 1K turned UA Kettle
Originally Posted by Often1
Your e-ticket receipt should show your baggage allowance by segment. What does it show for the xDUB segment on EI. The system is pretty good and it is what the EI agent ought to see on his screen when you check in. It ought to show the same allowance as for your x IAH.
UA side does show free bags exDUB. Good to know that they will see the same. Any idea if I will need to retrieve bags in LHR on return?
Old Aug 23, 2016, 4:13 pm

Not quite on topic - but what happens if it is one ticket (issued by non *A partner, Bulgarian Air in this case) with first segment on UA? Will UA send bags onward to the other carrier's flight?
Old Aug 23, 2016, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA has an interline baggage agreement with Bulgaria Air (FB). Since it's on a single ticket, there should be no problem checking luggage through.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 4:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Will re-title this thread to focus on interline on a single ticket,

There is another thread for interlining bags on separate tickets to http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ch-2015-a.html
Will move relevant posts to that thread

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Sep 1, 2016, 10:59 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
Any interline insight between UA and Virgin Australia / NZ-codeshare?

Apologies in advance if this is answered elsewhere I haven't found -- the only related thread I see is in the Virgin Australia forum, interlining in the opposite direction from Australia to the US.

I had to book a flight on short notice to Gold Coast airport in Australia, and my overseas leg has me going SFO-AKL on the new~ish UA flight, and then AKL-OOL on Virgin Australia metal -- though it is a NZ codeshare. VA lists UA as under an interline agreement, though as we all know, practical "boots on the ground" experience can vary wildly!

I'll have to check bags on this one, so I'm wondering if there's any experience having bags thru-checked between UA and VA, specifically via Auckland if possible. It's going to be a tight turn if I have to clear customs into NZ, turn around and re-check-in separately, and clear back out!

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
As long as it's one PNR and VA and UA interline, you're fine.

Don't know however the transit rules in NZ - whether, like the US, baggage clears customs and then rechecked, or if it passes through.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA Silver / FA
I've booked EWR-PEK-ULN; PEK-ULN on OM. One PNR. Obviously OM is not on the list and not *A. Thoughts on interlining?

I've got 20 hours on the inbound, and 7.5 on the return just in case I have to go claim, etc.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
If they're not an interline partner, the baggage won't be interlined. You pick it up and check it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.