Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Interline Baggage Agreements (single PNR / ticket)

Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
There is another thread for interlining bags when on separate PNR / tickets, see Bag Interlining Changes If Separate Tix with *A & Non *A Partners after 1 March 2015

Bag interlining (also known as “interline luggage”) is a voluntary commercial agreement between individual airlines to handle passengers bags traveling on itineraries that require multiple airlines, even if not the same alliance (if on a single PNR).

UA's interlining agreement list (May 2022)
Code:
MAY CHECK BAGGAGE TO
 AA AC AD AF AH AI AM AR AS AV AW AX AY AZ
 A3 BA BB BE BI BM BR BT BW CI CM CS CX CZ
 DL EI EN ET EV EW EY FB FI FJ FM FV GA GF
 GK G3 HA HO HP HU HX IB JJ JL JO JP JQ J2
 KA KC KE KG KL KM KQ KS KU KX LA LH LM LO
 LP LR LX LY MD ME MF MH MI MK MQ MS MU MX
 NH NU NX NZ OA OK OM OO OS OU OZ O6 PG PR
 PS PX PZ QF RO SA SK SN SQ SU SZ S2 S4 S7
 TA TG TJ TK TP T0 UA UK UL UN UP UX VA VN
 VS VT VW WF WK WM WP WY XF XL XQ ZH 2K 3K
 3M 3U 4B 4Q 4U 4Y 4Z 7C 7H 9B 9K 9W 9X
Bagagge - Connecting flights

For a trip that includes one or more connections, United will check bags to the final destination stated on the ticket. Your connecting flight must depart within 12 hours of your arrival at the airport in order for your bags to transfer automatically. United will generally transport checked baggage on the same flight as the traveler. If this is not practical, United will arrange to transport the baggage on the next flight with available space.
You'll need to claim and re-check baggage if you are:
  • Making a voluntary stopover
  • Making a connection that involves an overnight stay
  • Connecting to an itinerary booked on a separate ticket that doesn't include a Star Alliance partner airline
  • Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country
Print Wikipost

UA Interline Baggage Agreements (single PNR / ticket)

Old Sep 25, 2014, 3:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by exwannabe
It is certainly correct that you should be able to check the bags through to HKG, but this does add to the risk. With separate tickets, things can get bad.

I would be willing to risk this w/o bags. But I rarely travel with bags so don't really know how much that ups the risk.

You say the CX flight is your only option? Both CX and BR fly this like bus routes (and CI, but I assume you want to stick to *A). Even if you are on the direct UA SFO->TPE looks like you can get a 3 hour connection.

TPE is a fairly easy airport to connect in. But things can go wrong. If I was forced to check bags on this route, I would look for a later flight.

But still, I would expect all to work fine for you. So if this is a done decision, just relax and enjoy the trip.

Thank you for you all. I learned a lot from this conversation.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 6:10 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
Please stop making stuff up.

"Interline" simply refers to an agreement between airlines. It can cover ticketing or baggage (or anything else the carriers wish to agree to). This particular thread covers "Interline Baggage Agreements."
But the design was so that a single ticket can be issued when several airlines are involved. Just because there exists and interline agreement and, hence, the technical possibility to check the baggage through to the final destination does not make it interlining.

People should not confuse interlining with airlines' policy on checking bags to the final destination when the travel is on separate tickets. The correct question would be not just if a particular airline has an interline agreement with another airline but whether, in addition to the interline agreement, a particular airline has a policy that allows checking in a bag to another carrier on separate tickets. BA has interline agreements with all major airlines but they won't check-in a bag outside of OneWorld alliance if travel is on separate tickets.

Most airlines have this policy clearly spelled out on the websites.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 9:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Andriyko
But the design was so that a single ticket can be issued when several airlines are involved.
You're talking about an interline ticketing agreement. As mentioned earlier, that's not the only kind of interline agreement. When we are talking about checking bags through across separate tickets, we are talking about an interline baggage agreement. UA and CX have one of those, so the answer to OP's question, is "yes, you can do that."

It's true that policies about interlining on separate tickets vary, with BA and US having particularly restrictive ones. But in this instance, both UA and CX will interline bags across separate tickets without hesitation (providing the agent has the competence). Since OP is GS, I don't think there's really any reasonable doubt it will be done for him.

I have done this multiple times on both these airlines and it has not been an issue, most recently three weeks ago on a CX to OZ/UA connection ex-HKG.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
sure they do

[KVS Availability Tool 7.4.2 - Reference: Interline Agreements [IET]: UA]
Code:
ELECTRONIC INTERLINE CARRIER AGREEMENTS-UA                      
 INTERLINE CARRIER CODES                                        
   AA - AB - AC - AF - AH - AI - AM - AR - AS - AV              
   AX - AY - AZ - A3 - BA - BE - BI - BR - BT - BW              
   B7 - CA - CI - CM - CX - CZ - C5 - DL - EH - EI              
   EK - EL - EN - EQ - ET - EV - EY - FB - FI - FJ              
   FM - FV - FW - FZ - GA - GF - G3 - G7 - HA - HO              
   HU - HX - H2 - IB - IQ - JJ - JL - JP - JQ - J2              
   KA - KC - KE - KF - KL - KM - KQ - KS - KU - KX              
   LA - LG - LH - LO - LP - LR - LW - LX - LY - MD              
   ME - MF - MH - MI - MK - MQ - MS - MU - NH - NQ              
   NU - NX - NZ - OA - OK - OM - OO - OS - OU - OV              
   OZ - O6 - PG - PK - PR - PS - PX - PZ - QF - QR              
   RJ - RO - SA - SK - SN - SQ - SU - SV - S2 - S5              
   S7 - TA - TG - TK - TP - T0 - UA - UL - UN - UO              
   UP - US - UX - VA - VK - VN - VS - VW - WM - WP              
   WY - XF - XL - ZH - ZK - 2V - 3M - 4C - 4M - 4Q              
   4U - 7H - 9K - 9W
KVS is a great tool. However, OP inquired about interline baggage agreements. The information you quote from KVS is interline electronic ticketing agreements. As noted above by others, the two are totally different things.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 9:27 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by Indelaware
KVS is a great tool. However, OP inquired about interline baggage agreements. The information you quote from KVS is interline electronic ticketing agreements. As noted above by others, the two are totally different things.
There are 3 types of Interline Agreements: Baggage, Paper Ticket and E-Ticket. The latter is the 'highest' level of co-operation, which includes Baggage interlining.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 6:03 am

You're talking about an interline ticketing agreement. As mentioned earlier, that's not the only kind of interline agreement. When we are talking about checking bags through across separate tickets, we are talking about an interline baggage agreement. UA and CX have one of those, so the answer to OP's question, is "yes, you can do that."
Yes, I know that there exist different kinds of interline agreement but an interline baggage agreement merely allows two airlines to accept and through check baggage onto each other services. They don't say that it can be done on separate tickets. The separate tickets thing is regulated by individual airlines' policies. More and more airlines are coming out with policies that disallow interlining bags outside of selected partners and alliance members, if any. AA is the latest one to announce such a policy effective 10/01/14. Even though AA continues to have baggage interline agreements with non-OW airlines, through checking will require a single ticket as of that date.
Which is why I am saying that existence of an agreement in now way guarantees that the bags will be checked through on separate tickets.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Which is why I am saying that existence of an agreement in now way guarantees that the bags will be checked through on separate tickets.
No you are just arguing for no good reason at all.

No one is claiming it's "guaranteed." I stated in my first responsive post here that interlining bags is at the discretion of the agent. As a GS, OP has little reason to be concerned about that.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 8:57 am

No you are just arguing for no good reason at all.

No one is claiming it's "guaranteed." I stated in my first responsive post here that interlining bags is at the discretion of the agent. As a GS, OP has little reason to be concerned about that.
Sorry, but I think it is a bad advice. Were an airline sets a policy agents have no discretion. If interlining bags on separate tickets is not allowed then through check-in will happen only through negligence or mistake of an agent. Similarly, if an airline allows interlining bags on separate tickets then no discretion, but rather lack of training, of an agent will prevent a customer from having their bags checked through.

As United's website is silent in this regard, my advice would be to call and ask what their policy is.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 9:06 am

Programs: UA Nobody (former 1K, 1P, 2P), QFF Nobody, Skywards Nobody
Originally Posted by Kremmen
The QF situation is a (hopefully) unusual one. QF policy changed a few years ago to screw over anyone connecting to a non-OW carrier issued on a separate ticket by not interlining luggage. Interlining is still possible, because interlining on the same ticket still has to work, but they choose to refuse to do it otherwise.
As it was I had no issue on my outbound trip. I didn't specifically ask for it just said I was connecting through to UA in SYD and they took care of it all. ^
Old Sep 26, 2014, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by BrisbanePE
As it was I had no issue on my outbound trip. I didn't specifically ask for it just said I was connecting through to UA in SYD and they took care of it all. ^
Good to hear that^
Old Sep 26, 2014, 9:09 am

Programs: UA Nobody (former 1K, 1P, 2P), QFF Nobody, Skywards Nobody
Interlining is always at agent discretion.
Perhaps for some airlines but there's nothing discretionary about it for QF when everything is one ticket. Of course there may be an operational reason why it can't be done in a particular case but their policy is quite clear.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 9:14 am

Perhaps for some airlines but there's nothing discretionary about it for QF when everything is one ticket. Of course there may be an operational reason why it can't be done in a particular case but their policy is quite clear.
There is usually no problem if everything is on one ticket (unless a specific airport has some restrictions or when the length of connection is of a certain duration). Problems arise when a passenger is travelling on separate tickets as many airlines, still maintaining interline agreements with many other airlines, have issued policies in the last few years prohibiting through check-in of bags unless the onward travel is on a partner/alliance member. No discretion of an agent will be of help in such a situation.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 1:48 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Indelaware
The information you quote from KVS is interline electronic ticketing agreements. As noted above by others, the two are totally different things.
Correct, there are 3 separate sets of interline data.

Results from ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Interline Agreements:
Flying UA

E-Ticket Interline Agreements
    AA        AB        AC        AF        AH        AI        
    AM        AR        AS        AV        AX        AY        
    AZ        A3        BA        BB        BD        BE        
    BI        BR        BT        BW        CA        CI        
    CM        CO        CX        CZ        DL        EI        
    EK        EN        EQ        ET        EY        FB        
    FI        FJ        FM        FV        FZ        GA        
    GF        G3        HA        HO        HU        HX        
    H2        IB        IT        JJ        JL        JP        
    JQ        J2        KA        KC        KE        KF        
    KL        KM        KQ        KS        KU        KX        
    LA        LG        LH        LO        LP        LR        
    LW        LX        LY        MD        ME        MF        
    MH        MI        MK        MS        MU        NH        
    NU        NX        NZ        OA        OK        OM        
    OS        OU        OV        OZ        PG        PK        
    PR        PS        PU        PX        PZ        QF        
    QR        RJ        RO        SA        SK        SN        
    SQ        SU        SV        S2        S7        TA        
    TG        TK        TP        UL        UN        UO        
    UP        US        UX        VA        VK        VN        
    VS        VW        WM        WP        WY        XF        
    XL        ZH        ZK        3M        4M        4Q        
    4U        7H        9K        9W        

Paper Ticket and Baggage Interline Agreements

MAY ISSUE TICKETS INCLUDING
       AA  AB  AC  AF  AH  AI  AM  AR  AS  AV  AX  AY  AZ  A3  
       BA  BB  BE  BI  BR  BT  BW  CA  CI  CM  CO  CS  CX  CZ  
       DL  EI  EK  EN  EQ  ET  EV  EY  FB  FI  FJ  FM  FV  FZ  
       GA  GF  GK  G3  HA  HO  HP  HU  HX  H2  IB  JJ  JL  JO  
       JP  JQ  J2  KA  KC  KE  KL  KM  KQ  KS  KU  KX  LA  LG  
       LH  LO  LP  LR  LW  LX  LY  MD  ME  MF  MH  MI  MK  MQ  
       MS  MU  MX  NH  NU  NX  NZ  OA  OK  OM  OO  OS  OU  OV  
       OZ  PG  PK  PR  PS  PX  PZ  QF  QR  RJ  RO  SA  SK  SN  
       SQ  SU  SV  SZ  S2  S7  TA  TG  TK  TP  T0  UA  UL  UN  
       UO  UP  US  UX  VA  VF  VN  VS  VW  WM  WP  WY  XF  XL  
       ZH  ZK  3K  3M  4M  4Q  4U  7H  9K  9W                  

MAY CHECK BAGGAGE TO
       AA  AB  AC  AF  AH  AI  AM  AR  AS  AV  AX  AY  AZ  A3  
       BA  BB  BE  BI  BR  BT  BW  CI  CM  CO  CS  CX  CZ  DL  
       EI  EK  EN  EQ  ET  EV  EY  FB  FI  FJ  FM  FV  FZ  GA  
       GF  GK  G3  HA  HO  HP  HU  HX  H2  IB  JJ  JL  JO  JP  
       JQ  J2  KA  KC  KE  KL  KM  KQ  KS  KU  KX  LA  LH  LO  
       LP  LR  LW  LX  LY  MD  ME  MF  MH  MI  MK  MQ  MS  MU  
       MX  NH  NU  NX  NZ  OA  OK  OM  OO  OS  OU  OV  OZ  PG  
       PK  PR  PS  PX  PZ  QF  QR  RJ  RO  SA  SK  SN  SQ  SU  
       SV  SZ  S2  S7  TA  TG  TK  TP  T0  UA  UL  UN  UO  UP  
       US  UX  VA  VF  VN  VS  VW  WM  WP  WY  XF  XL  ZH  ZK  
       3K  3M  4M  4Q  4U  7H  9K  9W
Old Sep 26, 2014, 4:17 pm

Sorry, but I think it is a bad advice. Were an airline sets a policy agents have no discretion. If interlining bags on separate tickets is not allowed then through check-in will happen only through negligence or mistake of an agent. Similarly, if an airline allows interlining bags on separate tickets then no discretion, but rather lack of training, of an agent will prevent a customer from having their bags checked through.

As United's website is silent in this regard, my advice would be to call and ask what their policy is.
This is just nonsense. For about the seventy-fifth time, UA will interline bags to CX on separate tickets. They have an interline baggage agreement. I've done it without difficulty in both directions multiple times.

The discussion is about interlining on separate tickets.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Yeah I was the victim of the ORD 1K checkin desk claiming they couldn't interline bags to Fly Dubai (FZ) a couple days ago. I got tired of waiting around for them to find a supervisor as they were then worried about my visa to Saudi Arabia (which I have), but my ticket was only to Dubai and my baggage after they said they don't do FZ interline anymore, was to Dubai. Total waste of time and finally gave up. Got to Dubai and Dnata actually stepped up and said yes FZ interlines with United with the latest 1 year agreement.

I was shocked when my bags came out on the carousel in Saudi. Great job Dnata and please UA look for my complaint soon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.