Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Interline Baggage Agreements (single PNR / ticket)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
There is another thread for interlining bags when on separate PNR / tickets, see Bag Interlining Changes If Separate Tix with *A & Non *A Partners after 1 March 2015

Bag interlining (also known as “interline luggage”) is a voluntary commercial agreement between individual airlines to handle passengers bags traveling on itineraries that require multiple airlines, even if not the same alliance (if on a single PNR).

UA's interlining agreement list (May 2022)
Code:
MAY CHECK BAGGAGE TO
 AA AC AD AF AH AI AM AR AS AV AW AX AY AZ
 A3 BA BB BE BI BM BR BT BW CI CM CS CX CZ
 DL EI EN ET EV EW EY FB FI FJ FM FV GA GF
 GK G3 HA HO HP HU HX IB JJ JL JO JP JQ J2
 KA KC KE KG KL KM KQ KS KU KX LA LH LM LO
 LP LR LX LY MD ME MF MH MI MK MQ MS MU MX
 NH NU NX NZ OA OK OM OO OS OU OZ O6 PG PR
 PS PX PZ QF RO SA SK SN SQ SU SZ S2 S4 S7
 TA TG TJ TK TP T0 UA UK UL UN UP UX VA VN
 VS VT VW WF WK WM WP WY XF XL XQ ZH 2K 3K
 3M 3U 4B 4Q 4U 4Y 4Z 7C 7H 9B 9K 9W 9X
Bagagge - Connecting flights

For a trip that includes one or more connections, United will check bags to the final destination stated on the ticket. Your connecting flight must depart within 12 hours of your arrival at the airport in order for your bags to transfer automatically. United will generally transport checked baggage on the same flight as the traveler. If this is not practical, United will arrange to transport the baggage on the next flight with available space.
You'll need to claim and re-check baggage if you are:
  • Making a voluntary stopover
  • Making a connection that involves an overnight stay
  • Connecting to an itinerary booked on a separate ticket that doesn't include a Star Alliance partner airline
  • Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country
Print Wikipost

UA Interline Baggage Agreements (single PNR / ticket)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2014, 9:17 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BrisbanePE
In some cases it depends on how things are ticketed. For example QF through to UA is fine when all flights on the same reservation (ie same ticket stock) but otherwise at discretion of check-in staff at originating airport.
The QF situation is a (hopefully) unusual one. QF policy changed a few years ago to screw over anyone connecting to a non-OW carrier issued on a separate ticket by not interlining luggage. Interlining is still possible, because interlining on the same ticket still has to work, but they choose to refuse to do it otherwise.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Kremmen
The QF situation is a (hopefully) unusual one. QF policy changed a few years ago to screw over anyone connecting to a non-OW carrier issued on a separate ticket by not interlining luggage. Interlining is still possible, because interlining on the same ticket still has to work, but they choose to refuse to do it otherwise.

This is not unusual at all. UA is generous in terms of interlines to OALs across separate tickets.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 6:12 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by channa
This is not unusual at all.
It depends on what you mean by unusual. Some US-based airlines have used US DOT rules as an excuse to behave likewise (e.g. US/AS/DL), because they fear losing some of their bag fees. Outside the US, it's one of the services that distinguishes legacy carriers from LCCs. I'm not aware of any Asian or Middle East carriers that won't interline bags.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 12:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
Help wit luggage question about UA transfer CX

I have a J ticket from SFO-TPE but my final destination is HKG. The only connection choice is CX. I bought a J award ticket from TPE to HKG. But I might have no time to get out to pick up luggage and re-checkin. Is there any way I can pick up luggage in HKG. BTW, I am GS of United. Thanks!
Old Sep 24, 2014, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy BS, Hertz & Avis Pres
Checking in luggage for a UA reservation that connects to a separate reservation on a different carrier is an "interline" baggage issue. Lots of information on this forum about interlining bags. Generally, should not be an issue to have United transfer bags to CX. I've done this a number of times into and out of Asia (though never to CX) and have never had an issue. Always arrive at your baggage check-in counter (here, UA in SFO) with a printout of your other (here, CX) reservation.

Check here to start: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...greements.html
Old Sep 24, 2014, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by NgatesSEA
Checking in luggage for a UA reservation that connects to a separate reservation on a different carrier is an "interline" baggage issue. Lots of information on this forum about interlining bags. Generally, should not be an issue to have United transfer bags to CX. I've done this a number of times into and out of Asia (though never to CX) and have never had an issue. Always arrive at your baggage check-in counter (here, UA in SFO) with a printout of your other (here, CX) reservation.

Thank you very much. I am so relieved.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 1:07 pm

Programs: Star, Oneworld, Skymiles, SPG
Originally Posted by NgatesSEA

"Interline" by definition is when both airline's flights are on the same ticket. Flying on two separate tickets is not an interline. It is just two separate tickets whether they are on the same day or weeks apart.

Also, checking bags interline are always at the discretion of the airline. I remember when I worked for CO in IAH, we were instructed to never check a bag to connect in Mexico City because they frequently got lost. The fact that we had an interline agreement with both Mexicana and AeroMexico at the time made no difference.

The problem with checking baggage through is that if the bag is lost and both flights are on a single ticket, then CX is responsible for tracing the bag all the way back to SFO. If you have two separate tickets, CX is only responsible for tracing the bag back to TPE. If they have no record of ever receiving the bag in TPE, then they won't do any more for you and won't pay any compensation.

I am always leery of people in Flyertalk who say "I have done this several times and it works fine." EVERYTHING always works fine until it does not work at all.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 1:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by eghansen
"Interline" by definition is when both airline's flights are on the same ticket. Flying on two separate tickets is not an interline. It is just two separate tickets whether they are on the same day or weeks apart.
Well this is just wrong. While interlining can refer to ticketing, it can also refer to baggage irrespective of plating.

UA and CX have an interline agreement.

I have checked through from UA to CX (and vice-versa) on separate tickets with no problem. Be sure to ask nicely at UA check-in, as interlining is at the agent's discretion.

btw, in response to the prior post, which is replete with inaccuracies, I have also had lost/delayed bag issues when interlining across separate tickets. AA (the receiving carrier) resolved those issues with no problem. While interlining does add a level of complexity, it's certainly preferable to clearing customs at an intermediate stop and then rechecking your bag.

Last edited by Kacee; Sep 24, 2014 at 1:43 pm
Old Sep 24, 2014, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Also, checking bags interline are always at the discretion of the airline. I remember when I worked for CO in IAH, we were instructed to never check a bag to connect in Mexico City because they frequently got lost. The fact that we had an interline agreement with both Mexicana and AeroMexico at the time made no difference.

The problem with checking baggage through is that if the bag is lost and both flights are on a single ticket, then CX is responsible for tracing the bag all the way back to SFO. If you have two separate tickets, CX is only responsible for tracing the bag back to TPE. If they have no record of ever receiving the bag in TPE, then they won't do any more for you and won't pay any compensation.

I am always leery of people in Flyertalk who say "I have done this several times and it works fine." EVERYTHING always works fine until it does not work at all.
Thank you for your information. That means, it is doable but not guaranteed, right? Yes,they are two separated tickets. I only have 2 hours transfer time.
So I want to take the risk.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 1:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Daniel on the way
Thank you for your information. That means, it is doable but not guaranteed, right? Yes,they are two separated tickets. I only have 2 hours transfer time.
To be double sure:

1) Bring a printout of your CX itinerary so the UA agent can add the flight information to the baggage tag.

2) Present baggage tag when you check-in at the transfer desk to make sure the bag is in the system.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 3:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

Incorrect.

Bags can most certainly be interlined between tickets and have been for over 50 years. That is what interline agreements are all about.

In order to interline bags across tickets, you need two things: 1) an interline agreement and 2) a willingness to interline across tickets.

Interline agreements provide that the delivering carrier accepts responsibility for the bag, no matter who loses it and when. This, and new DOT rules, are what cause some carriers to be queasy about interlining across tickets.

In this case, won't know if the interline will occur until check-in / bag drop.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 4:00 pm

It all comes down to how much risk you wish to take.

You can book a legal connection in IAH of 30 minutes. But I wouldn't do it.

You can show up to board a flight seven minutes before scheduled departure and most of time you will board the flight. But UA has the right to deny you boarding if it is less than 15 minutes.

You can check your bag through TPE to HKG with two tickets. There is probably a 1 in 30 chance that your bag will be lost and if it does, you will have a lot of problems. If it doesn't get lost, then everything is fine.

Flying nowadays is lots of shades of gray.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Incorrect.

Bags can most certainly be interlined between tickets and have been for over 50 years. That is what interline agreements are all about.

In order to interline bags across tickets, you need two things: 1) an interline agreement and 2) a willingness to interline across tickets.

Interline agreements provide that the delivering carrier accepts responsibility for the bag, no matter who loses it and when. This, and new DOT rules, are what cause some carriers to be queasy about interlining across tickets.

In this case, won't know if the interline will occur until check-in / bag drop.
Interline agreements are for travel on one ticket and have been for over 50 years. If you have two tickets, that is not interlining. Sorry if you don't believe me.

I am sure that you can check bags on two tickets. But if the bag gets lost, don't expect CX to compensate you with any cash for your loss.

If you wish to learn more about interlining, the official source of such information can be found at http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/workgroups/Pages/mita.aspx
Old Sep 24, 2014, 4:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Interline agreements are for travel on one ticket and have been for over 50 years. If you have two tickets, that is not interlining. Sorry if you don't believe me.

I am sure that you can check bags on two tickets. But if the bag gets lost, don't expect CX to compensate you with any cash for your loss.

If you wish to learn more about interlining, the official source of such information can be found at http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/workgroups/Pages/mita.aspx
Please stop making stuff up.

"Interline" simply refers to an agreement between airlines. It can cover ticketing or baggage (or anything else the carriers wish to agree to). This particular thread covers "Interline Baggage Agreements."
Old Sep 24, 2014, 4:55 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
I have a J ticket from SFO-TPE but my final destination is HKG. The only connection choice is CX. I bought a J award ticket from TPE to HKG. But I might have no time to get out to pick up luggage and re-checkin. Is there any way I can pick up luggage in HKG. BTW, I am GS of United. Thanks!
It is certainly correct that you should be able to check the bags through to HKG, but this does add to the risk. With separate tickets, things can get bad.

I would be willing to risk this w/o bags. But I rarely travel with bags so don't really know how much that ups the risk.

You say the CX flight is your only option? Both CX and BR fly this like bus routes (and CI, but I assume you want to stick to *A). Even if you are on the direct UA SFO->TPE looks like you can get a 3 hour connection.

TPE is a fairly easy airport to connect in. But things can go wrong. If I was forced to check bags on this route, I would look for a later flight.

But still, I would expect all to work fine for you. So if this is a done decision, just relax and enjoy the trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.