Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Interline Baggage Agreements (single PNR / ticket)

Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
There is another thread for interlining bags when on separate PNR / tickets, see Bag Interlining Changes If Separate Tix with *A & Non *A Partners after 1 March 2015

Bag interlining (also known as “interline luggage”) is a voluntary commercial agreement between individual airlines to handle passengers bags traveling on itineraries that require multiple airlines, even if not the same alliance (if on a single PNR).

UA's interlining agreement list (May 2022)
Code:
MAY CHECK BAGGAGE TO
 AA AC AD AF AH AI AM AR AS AV AW AX AY AZ
 A3 BA BB BE BI BM BR BT BW CI CM CS CX CZ
 DL EI EN ET EV EW EY FB FI FJ FM FV GA GF
 GK G3 HA HO HP HU HX IB JJ JL JO JP JQ J2
 KA KC KE KG KL KM KQ KS KU KX LA LH LM LO
 LP LR LX LY MD ME MF MH MI MK MQ MS MU MX
 NH NU NX NZ OA OK OM OO OS OU OZ O6 PG PR
 PS PX PZ QF RO SA SK SN SQ SU SZ S2 S4 S7
 TA TG TJ TK TP T0 UA UK UL UN UP UX VA VN
 VS VT VW WF WK WM WP WY XF XL XQ ZH 2K 3K
 3M 3U 4B 4Q 4U 4Y 4Z 7C 7H 9B 9K 9W 9X
Bagagge - Connecting flights

For a trip that includes one or more connections, United will check bags to the final destination stated on the ticket. Your connecting flight must depart within 12 hours of your arrival at the airport in order for your bags to transfer automatically. United will generally transport checked baggage on the same flight as the traveler. If this is not practical, United will arrange to transport the baggage on the next flight with available space.
You'll need to claim and re-check baggage if you are:
  • Making a voluntary stopover
  • Making a connection that involves an overnight stay
  • Connecting to an itinerary booked on a separate ticket that doesn't include a Star Alliance partner airline
  • Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country
Print Wikipost

UA Interline Baggage Agreements (single PNR / ticket)

Old Feb 12, 2020, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by jsloan
If this is actually how the ticket is issued -- and I suspect it will be -- I agree.
It's interesting because apparently BA will interline on the same PNR and AA will interline to other OW carriers if on the same PNR, even if technically separate tickets (both airlines currently have no-interlining policies, even to themselves, on separate tickets).

There is some discussion in BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets (BA forum) suggesting that BA may work this way because it's just how the system works at check-in, so I suppose it could still be down to how the airline pragmatically handles this situation rather than any overarching policy.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 9:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Jeremy3292
​​​​​
So I called my company's TA and they said it will be two separate tickets, because UA and AA/BA are not codeshare partners ....
Nonsense, at times UA will issue a single ticket with non-partner airlines like AA and DL
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...t-segment.html
UA and AA interline agreement? with new AA fare rules combinability
Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:18 am

Thanks everyone. I guess I'll just have to find out upon arrival at the terminal to be sure! Is it likely UA and BA will be in separate terminals at IAD? This would increase the hassle and time needed between flights obviously.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Thanks everyone. I guess I'll just have to find out upon arrival at the terminal to be sure! Is it likely UA and BA will be in separate terminals at IAD? This would increase the hassle and time needed between flights obviously.
There are no separate terminals at IAD. All gates are on the sterile side of a single set of checkpoints and all check-in counters are within relatively easy walking distance of each other. If by some chance, UA checks your bags through, then you will simply head from your arrival gate to Concourse B via walk, AeroTrain or moon buggy as the case may be. If your bag is not checked through as I suspect it will not be, then you will need to head to baggage claim, grab your bag and schlep it upstairs to AA/BA check in which is further than UA check-in, but not appreciably so.

BTW - Your TA's answer makes zero sense. UA has had interline ticketing agreements with both BA & AA for 50+ years.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Often1
There are no separate terminals at IAD. All gates are on the sterile side of a single set of checkpoints and all check-in counters are within relatively easy walking distance of each other. If by some chance, UA checks your bags through, then you will simply head from your arrival gate to Concourse B via walk, AeroTrain or moon buggy as the case may be. If your bag is not checked through as I suspect it will not be, then you will need to head to baggage claim, grab your bag and schlep it upstairs to AA/BA check in which is further than UA check-in, but not appreciably so.

BTW - Your TA's answer makes zero sense. UA has had interline ticketing agreements with both BA & AA for 50+ years.
Thanks for your help. It looks like I may have to go baggage claim and grab the bag, go upstairs to BA check the bag, go back through security (I am PreCheck tho) and then to BA gate for flight to LHR. Although looking at the IAD map, it looks like I pretty decent airport layout. United Express is generally A gates and BA is generally B gates I believe.

And let me clarify - she said it will likely be two tickets under one PNR because UA and BA/AA don't ticket with each other i.e. they are not partners. But this may be incorrect as you and others have noted.

I'll just have to book the tickets and see if I get multiple ticket numbers or not...
Old Feb 13, 2020, 10:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Thanks for your help. It looks like I may have to go baggage claim and grab the bag, go upstairs to BA check the bag, go back through security (I am PreCheck tho) and then to BA gate for flight to LHR. Although looking at the IAD map, it looks like I pretty decent airport layout. United Express is generally A gates and BA is generally B gates I believe.

And let me clarify - she said it will likely be two tickets under one PNR because UA and BA/AA don't ticket with each other i.e. they are not partners. But this may be incorrect as you and others have noted.

I'll just have to book the tickets and see if I get multiple ticket numbers or not...
Partners has nothing to do with it. It may be that issuing this on a single ticket as a connection would be very expensive and that might be a reason to go with the two tickets. But, you definitely aren't getting straight information from the TA.

Depending on which UA Express carrier and type of aircraft, you may arrive at A, C or D. But, as noted, all are interconnected so it's simply a question of route (if you can get the bag checked).
Jeremy3292 likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, ITA Executive
Has anyone done 5 or more segments on one UA baggage tag? Have a 5 segment trip coming up (all UA), all 1 hr layovers, would like to check a bag but don't want to have to recheck anywhere. All one PNR/ticket.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 7:18 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Originally Posted by paine445
Has anyone done 5 or more segments on one UA baggage tag? Have a 5 segment trip coming up (all UA), all 1 hr layovers, would like to check a bag but don't want to have to recheck anywhere. All one PNR/ticket.
Don’t see why this would be a problem, as long as it’s ticketed normally. Used to do similar for mileage runs long ago.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by paine445
i think the most that can go on one bag tag is 4 but you can have more than one bag tag; they’ll print one tag with the last 3 destinations and then something like Conjunction or some other odd word which refers to the other tag that they’ll also attach with the others.

since you only have 4 stops it should all fit on one.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, ITA Executive
Originally Posted by Joshua
Don’t see why this would be a problem, as long as it’s ticketed normally. Used to do similar for mileage runs long ago.
Originally Posted by kenn0223
i think the most that can go on one bag tag is 4 but you can have more than one bag tag; they’ll print one tag with the last 3 destinations and then something like Conjunction or some other odd word which refers to the other tag that they’ll also attach with the others.

since you only have 4 stops it should all fit on one.
Was planning to do a self-tag (no agent, then bag drop). Will go to agent if it isn't to final destination. Yes, I've heard of the combined/conjuction tags - wondering how the machine will spit them out for me!
Old May 26, 2022, 8:04 pm

Long time. But did UA transfer your bags to Oman Air?
Old May 26, 2022, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by avang
Long time. But did UA transfer your bags to Oman Air?
single PNR or separate PNR/tickets
Rules have changed in the past 9 years
Old May 27, 2022, 8:15 am

Single e-ticket
Old May 27, 2022, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by avang
Single e-ticket
SIngle ticket -- UA has a bag inline agreement with Omar Air / WY , so this will be no problem to interline bags. As long as not overnight or greater than 12 hours connection

The referenced 2013 case was separate tickets and since 2015 UA no longer interlines to non-*A partners , like WY, on separate tickets. This is common for most alliance, no bag interlining on separate tickets if not an alliance partner.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 27, 2022 at 12:15 pm Reason: As long as not overnight or greater than 12 hours connection
Old Jul 5, 2023, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Jpm81
I have had UA interline my bag on the last 2 trips to connect to a BA flight at LHR with no issues including a trip just yesterday.

I am GS though so not sure if that made a difference.
This was done for me years ago. I think very easy if all on the same ticket to a destination that does not have a *A partner option.

Honestly it was more of a PITA to switch terminals at LHR (particularly as UA always get the farthest gates) than to deal w luggage.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.