Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Shrunken (pitch reduction) First Class (On new 737-900)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2016, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2014, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, Hertz Pres, Avis Pres, Marriott Platinum

Well actually United shrunk everyone's seats. I just flew on a new 737-900 yesterday that was 2 weeks old. It was a plane swap from the 737-900 with Direct TV. I walked on the plane and my first thought was - No Direct TV - I guess I can live with that having my IPad and kindle. My next thought was - these seats look nice and new maybe they would be more comfortable. I sit down and within a min or so I notice that something feels "off" about the space. I look on seat guru and discover that my imagination is not deceiving me - United actually shrunk the first class seats by 1 inch. The first class seats went from 38 to 37 pitch, economy plus lost 9 seats and went from a pitch of 35 to 34 and economy gained 21 seats and their pitch went from 31 to a mix of 30 and 31. It also appears that the first class seats recline less then they did before.

This year I have been paying for first class tickets most of the time as I hurt my knee and didn't want to take a chance with upgrades not clearing. I understand United wanted to add more seats to the plane - however I think it was a terrible decision to take space away from first class. Even the American MD80s have more space, the 737s were already a bit low on space as it was in First.

This is going to cause me to seriously reconsider some flights if its a 737-900 vs American or other options. You might not think 1 inch of pitch and 1-2" of reduced recline makes a difference but it really does and its noticeable. They really should have adjusted the economy cabin more then take away room from the "premium cabin". The easy way to tell if its the new plane is that it will have the last row numbered 39.

This plane also had the new slimline bathrooms. I fit in them, however some larger passengers are definitely going to have a problem.

Just wanted to share my experience with this new plane with everyone.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA Nobody (former 1K, 1P, 2P), QFF Nobody, Skywards Nobody
I have the misfortune to be booked on one of these planes SFO-BOS and I can't say I relish the experience after a TPAC.

Last edited by goalie; Sep 8, 2014 at 8:15 am Reason: removed reference to deleted post
Old Sep 7, 2014, 9:42 pm

Not surprised at all. Pretty soon we will all be standing up on flights.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Is the crap old 757-200 better than the next gen 737-900?
Old Sep 7, 2014, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by zebranz
Yes, since both planes are dark, but the 757 is considerably more comfortable and MIGHT have overhead CRT entertainment.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 10:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Originally Posted by DavidRS4
This year I have been paying for first class tickets most of the time as I hurt my knee and didn't want to take a chance with upgrades not clearing.
I have noticed the cramped space in first class as well, especially when the seat in front of you goes back. It's difficult to work on a laptop, and you definitely have a tough time getting out of a window seat to the aisle.

If you ask me, this is why row 21 might be your best bet, and you can avoid wasting the $ on first class. The legroom is superior in the exit rows to first class and in row 21 no one is going to recline in to you.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by JC5280
I have noticed the cramped space in first class as well, especially when the seat in front of you goes back. It's difficult to work on a laptop, and you definitely have a tough time getting out of a window seat to the aisle.

If you ask me, this is why row 21 might be your best bet, and you can avoid wasting the $ on first class. The legroom is superior in the exit rows to first class and in row 21 no one is going to recline in to you.
The seat cushion on exit rows are very short and uncomfortable on new slimline seats. I would rather pick a regular E+ seat.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zebranz
Never looked at the exact measurements, but to me most sCO F-seats seem to have less recline than sUA ones, especially true for the 757 vs. 738/9 seats.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 11:36 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
smaller seats, and more passengers with the same overhead space and no on-demand media- that's a change worth noting. Sure, if the OP started conversations on the street with strangers about it or even put it on their facebook, that might a bit weird.

It isn't Ebola or ISIS, but it's something that will affect us ALL, since if someone is reading the UA Flyertalk forum and they don't fly... now that's not right.

Last edited by goalie; Sep 8, 2014 at 8:18 am Reason: removed quote of edited/deleted posts
Old Sep 7, 2014, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, DL PM/1MM, Marriott Amb/LT Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Never looked at the exact measurements, but to me most sCO F-seats seem to have less recline than sUA ones, especially true for the 757 vs. 738/9 seats.
Personally, I welcome less recline than the sUA ones. I feel that they recline too far. There's a big difference between straight up and slightly reclined. I really dislike the F window seat on an sUA plane. I'm a small person but if the seat in front is reclined all the way, I can barely get out. I can't imagine how a larger person gets out to use the bathroom without having to climb on the seats. I do like the older seats better, though, as far as comfort, reclined or not.

Row 21 is the best row on the domestic narrow body planes as far as being able to recline as well as not having the seat in front of me reclined into my lap. I also don't have to deal with a mom putting a guilt trip on me that if I don't swap seats with the crappy one that she got stuck with, her kid will have to sit by his/herself the whole flight.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 12:46 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
DL has this issue as well. I won't buy F on their domestic 763. I can't believe people accept the product. Tightest pitch I've ever had in F.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 2:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
I also was on a 737-900 a few weeks ago in F. I thought the legroom was fine (but I guess no one was reclining in front of me)

Happy to be on a new aircraft. I hate DirectTV, so didn't miss it at all. There was some new(?) version of high-speed internet which was very fast, and available by the hour ($2) which was perfect.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 3:42 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by DavidRS4
I just flew on a new 737-900 yesterday that was 2 weeks old. It was a plane swap from the 737-900 with Direct TV. I walked on the plane and my first thought was - No Direct TV - I guess I can live with that having my IPad and kindle.
I was up front on this type of bird last week. It was fine for a mid-con. Not much of a noticeable pitch difference. No DTV is a bigger loss than the 1" IMO. Comparing the ~30 year old AA MD80 metal makes little sense, as the current economics of the industry are changing. Might as well have thrown in row 9 on the previous UA P.S. cabin layout into the discussion as well.

SunLover

Last edited by goalie; Sep 8, 2014 at 8:19 am Reason: removed reference to deleted post
Old Sep 8, 2014, 4:53 am

I think this is an important topic that if not challenged by the masses, may be easily adopted to other aircraft type and airlines

Last edited by goalie; Sep 8, 2014 at 8:20 am Reason: removed reference to deleted post
Old Sep 8, 2014, 5:47 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by JC5280
Same experiences - the value of first class for me is greatly diminished if I can't work on my laptop without putting the screen in my face.

Originally Posted by DBCme
I think this is an important topic that if not challenged by the masses, may be easily adopted to other aircraft type and airlines
Agreed. United keeps pushing the limits and raising these issues is important. United announces, and most praise, a few enhancements (improved food/drink we're told) but of course the takeaways aren't mentioned by United and most, if even noticed, are eventually accepted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.