Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA CFO Rainey on Bloomberg: Global First "Effectively the Same" as J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA CFO Rainey on Bloomberg: Global First "Effectively the Same" as J

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2014, 4:58 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
The main advantage of UA's Global First product is the seat and its privacy. GF can be made better by increasing the soft product amenities such as food quality, amenity kit, and providing pajamas as many of the other international carriers do.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
While C has been updated to be competitive with other carriers
UA C was competitive when it was first rolled out (flatbeds were pretty new at the time). CO J was rolled out when direct aisle access was being introduced.

But currently, the products are OK, nothing spectacular.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
I was referring to the Global First product and service. While C has been updated to be competitive with other carriers, the same can't be said for F. And realistically, C was behind the times compared to the competition (globally).
Not disagreeing. The quantum leap in comfort is from Y to J. Give me J with lie-flat seats and I can deal with long haul flights even if it means climbing over seat mates, second rate wine, and so-so meals.

Originally Posted by chitownflyer
The main advantage of UA's Global First product is the seat and its privacy.
Agreed. In addition to the much better GF personal space I would include:

* better in-flight service (pax/FA ratio)
* much better pax/lav ratio
* UA IFL lounge access and some *A partner F lounge access

None of which is enough to justify a huge price delta.

SunLover
Old Sep 4, 2014, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax
It's not so much that he said what all of us on FT are thinking, it's that he effectively shot any current attempt at marketing GF in the foot. Imagine if you were a customer getting ready to pay double the cost of business so you could fly international first class... and then you saw this video. Would you pay for GF?

Granted, there are very few companies and individuals that pay outright for GF, but those that do have just been told by United's CFO that they're wasting their money. This man has got to be one of the most incompetent public speakers on the planet.
You can almost hear the disdain he has for his airlines' own GF product (and therefore the people who buy GF tickets).

Its one thing to say GF is going to be transitioned out in favor of BF on most or all flights. That is a decision many airlines are contemplating or have already executed. It is a statement that is made without disparaging a product UA currently offers and charges a premium for over and above J.

It is something else altogether to disparage an existing premium product level that people pay money, miles or upgrades for, over and above J.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
I just sat in GF and sorry it does not compare.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
I just sat in GF and sorry it does not compare.
to BusinessFirst. Indeed, it is a much better seat and service tends to be much more personalized. UA could make Global First a great product that more would pay for...if they wanted to.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 5:31 pm

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Amazing commentary..Mr Smisek needs to pull Mr Rainey aside at the next board meeting and explain to this Armani clad Diogenes that truth to the public is a corporate strategy we do not support.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 5:45 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
International First is a product with shrinking demand globally, and especially in the North American market where virtually every major international player has reduced or eliminated its longhaul F footprint (except the ME3, who don't fully abide airline laws of gravity in the first place).
Old Sep 4, 2014, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
to BusinessFirst. Indeed, it is a much better seat and service tends to be much more personalized. UA could make Global First a great product that more would pay for...if they wanted to.
Exactly. The service tends to be better, the crew is not racing to get everyone served. The seat is great!
Old Sep 4, 2014, 5:59 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by chitownflyer
The main advantage of UA's Global First product is the seat and its privacy.
Really? The AVOD screen is smaller than in GF, and last time I flew GF (SFO-HKg, no less) it was definitely used as an employee/retiree reunion zone.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA Global Svcs 3 MM, LH Senator, BA Gold
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Which brings on an important question:
Do people actually pay for GF? Like actual people, not someones employer, clinet or as a business expense.

Its great to hear all the GS declaring that *I* pay for GF when its not really them paying, but do actual people pay for it?

I know that people do pay for the likes of EK and CX F, but UA, I have a hard time imagining anyone but corporate spending money on GF.
Actually, I just paid for GF SFO-FRA-SFO. In A, it was cheaper than the cheapest business fare available. And I don't care about the food; it is the space and the peace and quiet that I like.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Exactly. The service tends to be better, the crew is not racing to get everyone served. The seat is great!
I am not so sure. In GF a couple of weeks ago with an 11.15pm wheels-up. I was sound asleep about 30 minutes after take-off. A crew member boomed: "Mr. Aspen will you be having dinner with us tonight?"
My response was: "Did you just wake me up at almost midnight to ask me if I was eating?"
Crew member: "No one told us you didn't want to be disturbed"

I totally agree with you and the other posters that the seat is infinitely better than the J seat with more than enough storage and direct aisle access.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Marin 1K
Actually, I just paid for GF SFO-FRA-SFO. In A, it was cheaper than the cheapest business fare available. And I don't care about the food; it is the space and the peace and quiet that I like.
You paid, or was it a business/expensable/work related purchase?
That was my question.

Also, if you are paying for GF, why would you not pay for LH A380 that departs about an hour apart from the UA flight??
Old Sep 4, 2014, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
You paid, or was it a business/expensable/work related purchase?
That was my question.

Also, if you are paying for GF, why would you not pay for LH A380 that departs about an hour apart from the UA flight??
Don't understand why you differentiate on "who paid". Why does it matter?
Old Sep 4, 2014, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Baze
Don't understand why you differentiate on "who paid". Why does it matter?
Of course it matters!
I am asking who in their right mind would spend their own money on United GF. The premise being if you have enough money for F, who would buy United?

Are you saying that paying with OPM vs paying your own money, you would behave the same when making purchasing decisions?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.