Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA CFO Rainey on Bloomberg: Global First "Effectively the Same" as J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA CFO Rainey on Bloomberg: Global First "Effectively the Same" as J

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2015, 11:15 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Singapore_Schwing
All it did was send me to the GPU / Miles and copay page. Declined to take up the offer (standard $600+15k miles each way- No cash only buy-up offered). If it was something aggressive, or if flying with the wife who seems to appreciate GF more than I, sure I might consider it, but meh...

For reference, the overwater was SIN-HKG-SFO.
Oh, I was assuming it was UX on a ERJ-145 That would be par for the UAfkaCO course.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 6:17 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Originally Posted by nikolastojsin
This thread is becoming genuinely interesting.
A couple of points -

1. Demise of F on major global airlines?
I will speak just about the airlines I fly regularly, so I have first-hand experience: both AF and LH are the process of upgrading both their premium cabins (F and J). For example, my email inbox receives invites to sample the new La Premiere cabin JFK-CDG on a biweekly basis:
http://www.airfrance.us/US/en/common...-airfrance.htm

In other words, two major European airlines consider there is a sufficient premium market NYC-Europe to justify major investment. And that they need a better J product to compete. And a better F product. And both airlines treat JFK as a premium market. (Hello, UA?) And we can discuss who pays for F in NYC - hint: I do not think it is just Wall Street.
Incidentally, these test-our-new-F emails started after my GF flying on UA became regular. (Which means that their IT works, well, better than UA's.)
One more thing: manipulating the number of products available to enhance the premium value of the product is Marketing 101. (Ferrari routinely limits production numbers of its most valuable cars - that does not mean they will stop making them!) So it probably makes sense to look also at the investment and promotion as the metrics, rather than just the actual number of seats.

2. Wall Street

+1 And the same can be said about Jeff Bezos and Steve Jobs, and quite a few others. Let me put it this way - and this comes from someone whose primary office is on Wall Street: beyond early start-ups, Wall Street tends to reward predictability and bean counting far more than innovation and vision, and has traditionally had a blind spot when customer-centric metrics were concerned. Those three (Herb, Bezos and Steve) all went through periods when Wall Street was betting that they will not succeed. And all three were ultimately hugely rewarded by Wall Street - but only AFTER they were proven right (and Street wrong) in the marketplace.
To paraphrase field marshal Rommel (of all people!), if a general (CEO) listens to his supply officers (read: analysts and stockholders) all the time, he has committed himself to slightly-below-average performance. And a general who knows when to ignore bean counters will always eat the lunch of the one who does not. And if perennially slightly-below-average does not describe Smisek and his team to a T, nothing does.

3. Management
I would be glad to be wrong here, but all indications are that current UA team is just not the right fit to run a competitive global airline. Running UA as pmCO is plain misguided. To stick with the topic of this thread, can anyone name ONE other airline CFO who denigrated his airline's premium - and thus presumably flagship - product (and kept his job). I cannot think of one. Also, the fact that they always seem to be following DL management is an indication that they lack confidence and vision - that they need cover for their decisions. So, of course, chances of them standing up to analysts and Wall Street are zero.

4. Unions
I do have enormous respect for unions, and their traditional role to protect workers from bad management. However, in US airline industry, with seniority as the uttermost rule, they are an obstacle to good management. (When did one know B6 was having morale problems? When employees chose to unionize - that was the signal that management had lost them.) As it is now, the seniority system encourages and rewards bidding time and minimum effort, and discourages enthusiasm; add a well-deserved distrust of management to the mix, as well as subpar tools and you get... Sub-par and Divided, dbaUA.
And while both pmCO and pmUA are full of professionals who are proud of their jobs, and do it brilliantly, UA does not seem to have the ability to weed out those that are, well, sub-par. And genuine enthusiasm for the job seem not to be there across-the-board, sadly, and it shows. (No blame here: who would want to work for Smisek?)
As for youth vs experience, I do not think anyone here wants to return to the FlyMe! era. However, as a passenger, I really do not want to be in a position to feel the urge to assist an FA who is not so fit any more either. (I did assist an FA once, and it did not go well.) Would it kill UA to at least try to mix experience and youth, and have training positions open for senior FAs, like LH does?

5. US Regulatory Environment - and a Global Airline
I have a couple of major problem here: from the arcane passenger transfer rules (that even China figured out a way around), to laws limiting foreign ownership to 25%. Former effectively prevents any US airline from operating meaningful transfer traffic, while the latter... well, let me illustrate with an example:
I grew up in Belgrade, Serbia, and still fly there regularly, so I am and was fairly familiar with JU, Serbian state-owned airline, laughingstock, perennially late, perennially losing money, with 30 being the average age of planes and 57 being the average age of FAs (both in years). Anyone wanted surly and unfriendly and lousy service, you got it there.
All of that changed one day less than two years ago when Serbian government, almost-bankrupt and under pressure from EU to stop subsidizing JU, sold a 49% stake, with management rights, to EY. Here is what EY did: renewed the fleet, upgraded the hard product, upgraded the soft product, fired 75% of the FAs (kept only the best pursers), hired enthusiastic young people instead, retrained everyone - and the airline became the pleasure to fly, with service second to none, young and enthusiastic FAs supervised by more experienced pursers, with top-notch food and wines (all of which are stocked!). And it will be profitable in 2015. Do I need to tell anyone what analysts thought about this beforehand?
Anyway, JU is tiny and still has a long way to go (though 40% growth is nothing to scoff about), and EY is about to try to do the same with AZ. Good luck there, but you get the point.

So, let me ask you guys: what do you think IS the purpose of a 25% foreign ownership limit? For the record, I think (for example) EY buying a stake and managing UA (here snowflake and hell come to mind) would end up the same way Daimler's managing of Chrysler did, but should not that option at least be on the table?
Awesome post!! Not sure UA can pull a re-do like JU did, but transferring via the USA is a nightmare compared to everywhere else in the world. Anyway, my mom who spends a third of her year in Florida and the rest in Canada and flys Star Alliance (mainly AC) came to visit me last weekend and couldn't stop praising how good the UA flights were (admittedly used my CRU's on the int'l 757 config). IF UA management could just realize their potential the airline could be a int'l powerhouse - but I fear stock price is the main concern of management. Fine for me a GS, but everyone I know HATES UA. I would feel depressed to go into my job everyday knowing my customers hated me, as I watched valuation in the ebb and flow of my bank account/ stock options. But that is what UA mgmt is all about these days, and sadly/honestly carefully watching the financials is one of mgmt.'s duties. United - you are a rare beast
Old Mar 1, 2015, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Singapore_Schwing
All it did was send me to the GPU / Miles and copay page. Declined to take up the offer (standard $600+15k miles each way- No cash only buy-up offered). If it was something aggressive, or if flying with the wife who seems to appreciate GF more than I, sure I might consider it, but meh...

For reference, the overwater was SIN-HKG-SFO.
$600 + 15K MP Miles? HKG-SFO?

I would take that offer each and every time.

So, to cross reference the other who buys GF? thread, I guess I would be a buyer of GF, if this counts.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 11:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LarkSFO

Me too.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by adambrau
IF UA management could just realize their potential the airline could be a int'l powerhouse - but I fear stock price is the main concern of management.
Agree that stock price (and the factors that drive it) is of primary concern to management. Shouldn't it be?

UA is an international powerhouse, by the way, relative to DL, AA, WN, AS, or any other US based player.

Or do you mean that they should invest millions in improving and expanding their F cabin in the attempt to deliver an F product that is among the best in the world?

My guess is that if UA management thought this investment would result in a higher stock price, then they would do it.

Originally Posted by adambrau
Fine for me a GS, but everyone I know HATES UA. I would feel depressed to go into my job everyday knowing my customers hated me...
Among the most ludicrous statements I have read recently on FT.

Besides the anonymous and vocal anti-UA sub-community here on FT, I know no one who 'hates' UA (or any airline for that matter).

I do hear complaints and grumbling, and there are times when I think UA could have done better. But hate? No.

The most vocal (almost) hater I know right now is a friend of mine in ATL who is a DL Diamond. I don't even bring up the topic of airlines with him these days unless I want to hear a 10 minute anti-DL rant!
Old Mar 1, 2015, 11:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, GE/Nexus, Marriott Gold

Me three.
That is what I get TATL about half the time; HKG-SFO? A steal.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 1:53 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
I would sleep in J and have a 1000 extra bucks to spend on loose men/ women rather than F. In HKG that's almost a months worse.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by jgreen1024
He is correct. There are a lot of people on FT who remember the old days of international first class and want those days back - but it ain't happening. As a good FTer I would rather have more BF seats on the plane in order to increase my upgrade chances. Screw GF. Anyone who is going to pay for GF isn't going to fly a US airline anyway.
Spot. On.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 2:14 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, Marriott BonVoy Titanium
Originally Posted by bob_the_d
it's only the same because they made it the same. it doesn't have to be.
This.

Look at LH, business and first are well differentiated, even with their new business and first products.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Agree that stock price (and the factors that drive it) is of primary concern to management. Shouldn't it be?

UA is an international powerhouse, by the way, relative to DL, AA, WN, AS, or any other US based player.

Or do you mean that they should invest millions in improving and expanding their F cabin in the attempt to deliver an F product that is among the best in the world?

My guess is that if UA management thought this investment would result in a higher stock price, then they would do it.
The error in UA's focus is on earnings in the following quarter without regard to what happens thereafter. UA has effectively zero interest in what happens beyond the next quarter, and that is what is going to bite them in the rear. But this management will be gone by then so they don't care.

Among the most ludicrous statements I have read recently on FT.

Besides the anonymous and vocal anti-UA sub-community here on FT, I know no one who 'hates' UA (or any airline for that matter).

I do hear complaints and grumbling, and there are times when I think UA could have done better. But hate? No.

The most vocal (almost) hater I know right now is a friend of mine in ATL who is a DL Diamond. I don't even bring up the topic of airlines with him these days unless I want to hear a 10 minute anti-DL rant!
I was in my local Chase branch last week to open another account. The branch manager asked how my travels have been since they know I am gone so often. I told her I had been in Asia and it was a good trip. The response was, "You must not have flown UA. They are simply awful." I was then treated to her diatribe on how they had ruined her last trip with her family. She concluded by telling me she won't fly UA again. I told her I understood (and I do).

Denying the animosity UA is generating amongst its passenger ranks, as demonstrated by its JD Power numbers, is the same mistake management at UA is making. UA is more and more only able to attract passengers due to: 1) captive hubs; 2) corporate contracts (which seem to be diminishing in number); and 3) Kayakers. Those with a choice are fleeing from UA and is is a substantial mistake to ignore that.

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
I would sleep in J and have a 1000 extra bucks to spend on loose men/ women rather than F. In HKG that's almost a months worse.
Pity you can't do both.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 12:38 am

Programs: UA Gold, Mariott Gold, Shangri-la Jade, Hotels.com Gold (does that count?); DL, AA, B6, VX, SPG
I often complain vocally about UA with my coworkers and have steered several to better airlines (any airline, really) for pricy international J trips. The only people I know who are happy with UA at my work are the GS folks. We have quite a few. The rest of us try to avoid UA whenever we can, which is difficult from SFO.

Actually on every United trip I'll send an email to my workgroup about what new fubars UA has caused - lost luggage, cancelled or severely delayed flights on every one of my numerous trips in the last month, surly or just plain rude personnel, bumps from paid or upgraded first class to middle seats in economy due to the aforementioned cancelled flights or delayed flights resulting in misconnects, strandings at hub airports like IAH and EWR with totally unhelpful personnel (after standing in line for hours at the customer service centers), etc. Even some of the GS folks are thinking of dropping UA because they don't appreciate how UA treats the rest of us.

So no, I don't think it's an exaggeration to claim that people hate UA. I certainly do after this past month. As I've said elsewhere UA has taken an extremely myopic view of customer relations. The shareholders are only interested in short term profits and Smisek likewise is only interested in short term profits because his comp is based on that short term performance. Sure, in a couple years or less United might run out of customers (and employees), but Smisek and the current shareholders will have fled the sinking ship by then.

Last edited by frcabot; Jun 29, 2015 at 12:51 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.