Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Trying to upgrade online, lots of seats, non-available

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k

Trying to use miles to upgrade to business class from EWR to LHR on Sept. 14, then FRA to IAD on Sept. 20, but website says none available. The seat map shows 20 available business class seats on each flight, (more than I have ever seen).

What gives? Should I wait to book? Wil I get an offer to buy up when I purchase?

Thanks for your advice.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
UA thinks it can still sell some of those seats and while it shows 20 available seats those could have occupants in them who have not reserved their seat.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:51 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CMH1k
Trying to use miles to upgrade to business class from EWR to LHR on Sept. 14, then FRA to IAD on Sept. 20, but website says none available. The seat map shows 20 available business class seats on each flight, (more than I have ever seen).

What gives? Should I wait to book? Wil I get an offer to buy up when I purchase?

Thanks for your advice.
What gives is that UA likely wants to sell those seats. Seats on the seat map are also not indicative of how many are booked.

I looked at the 5 flights on 9/14 and it appears that one has 6 business seats available, and the rest all have fewer. All of them are currently R=0 (no seats available to upgrade) at this time too.

I think your chances are slim for a miles upgrade. You very well may get an offer to upgrade for cash when you book however.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:51 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE

Thanks for your advice.
Curious what specific flights your looking at, because the EWR-LHR flights on Sept. 14 look pretty full to me.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Curious what specific flights your looking at, because the EWR-LHR flights on Sept. 14 look pretty full to me.
Yeah I just looked at seat maps after I posted, and don't see any of the flights with more than 6 empty seats. Some don't even have 20 in J.

OP - is this the right date? If you provide us with additional information, we may be able to give further advice.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I was looking for UA R space EWR or IAD to LHR around those dates (and also business for less than $6k) when I was looking some time back and found none. That is why I instead bought AF refundable economy connecting through CDG for a lot less about a month ago and upgraded for miles. Of my next three TATL flights in 2014, two are AF Affaires, and one is UA with paid business out/R upgrade with miles return. I'm still looking for UA R space and discount business for two TATL trips in 2015 and it seems a lot harder to find these days than past years. I wonder if they are really selling those seats at $6-7k a pop. I may check for R just before then out of curiosity.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Artpen100
I was looking for UA R space EWR or IAD to LHR around those dates (and also business for less than $6k) when I was looking some time back and found none. That is why I instead bought AF refundable economy connecting through CDG for a lot less about a month ago and upgraded for miles. Of my next three TATL flights in 2014, two are AF Affaires, and one is UA with paid business out/R upgrade with miles return. I'm still looking for UA R space and discount business for two TATL trips in 2015 and it seems a lot harder to find these days than past years. I wonder if they are really selling those seats at $6-7k a pop. I may check for R just before then out of curiosity.
Remember, UA has "fixed" their pricing model now, where apparently they're charging the highest price further out and then declining as it gets closer to flight time. So it's possible they're not selling at $6k, but rather at $3-4k a couple weeks out if they haven't sold many. On my last TATL, I found the best price about 4 weeks out, but didn't bother to keep checking after I booked. I'd guess they are missing out on a lot of business like yours, but we'll have to wait and see if it works for them.

I agree however that R has been more rare than in the past few years.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
UA thinks it can still sell some of those seats

Please. Just because you see a condition doesn't mean it's deliberate. UA revenue management could also be screwed up and have no clue what they're doing.

I just flew a TPAC flight last week that had well over 20 empties in BF a week out, 6 open in GF, no one on the upgrade list, and they didn't release R until the gate. We still flew with empty GF and BF seats -- several of them -- after accommodating all non-revs in premium cabins.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by channa
Please. Just because you see a condition doesn't mean it's deliberate. UA revenue management could also be screwed up and have no clue what they're doing.

I just flew a TPAC flight last week that had well over 20 empties in BF a week out, 6 open in GF, no one on the upgrade list, and they didn't release R until the gate. We still flew with empty GF and BF seats -- several of them -- after accommodating all non-revs in premium cabins.
+1 - my last two tpac flights resulted in upgrades to gf from bf as UA had IRROPS in asia - it seems to me more of a strategy of holding seats in case they need them versus being stingy in advance.... Ymmv....
Old Sep 2, 2014, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I was looking at UA 924 on the 14th from IAD (sorry, I wrote EWR originally) to LHR and UA 933 from FRA to IAD on the 20th.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 2:30 pm

I was looking at UA 924 on the 14th from IAD (sorry, I wrote EWR originally) to LHR and UA 933 from FRA to IAD on the 20th.
Ah, that makes more sense!

Still no upgrade availability on that flight, but I see the empty seats and the J=9 now. So they're are still quite a few for sale. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few of these open up for upgrades, but of course its always just a guess.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by channa

My hypothesis against your sample size of 1 flight.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
My hypothesis against your sample size of 1 flight.
We've seen several examples of what appears to be inventory mismanagement, where they are dumping large quantities of inventory, whether to mileage or low fare buckets, at the last minute.

If they were on top of their game, we wouldn't see this stuff nearly as much as we do.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I've been noticing lots of TATL flights recently that look to have lots of open BF (based on seat maps, I know, but I'm talking on the order of 10-20 unreserved seats) and BF buckets, even the expensive ones sometimes, that are <<9. Makes me wonder if this is part of the new revenue management plan. I'm usually looking a month or so out.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eflyte
I've been noticing lots of TATL flights recently that look to have lots of open BF (based on seat maps, I know, but I'm talking on the order of 10-20 unreserved seats) and BF buckets, even the expensive ones sometimes, that are <<9. Makes me wonder if this is part of the new revenue management plan. I'm usually looking a month or so out.
I think it is. Then they start dumping award seats by the truckload about 3 days out, and fly the flight empty.

It works out sometimes. My companion didn't like the pork chop in BF (it as so dry, she physically couldn't cut through it), when she said something, the FA offered her anything else since they had extras of everything. Flying on empty flights like this can have its advantages.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.