Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Services...for an Hour...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2014, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Global Services...for an Hour...

Hive mind of FlyerTalk, please enlighten me.

I'm a lowly 1k and deplane my flight from KIX to SFO. Clear customs to my shock I see a woman holding a sign with a United Logo / Global Services and my name. I have plenty of time for my connection but she greets me, walks me to Global Services domestic security screening...meets me on the other side...hands me a new printed boarding pass (mine mysteriously evaporated from my mobile app!) and takes me to the new (hidden) UA club between the old terminal and the new terminal. Checks me in to the new club and hands me her card telling me all of the things that the people on the other end of the 1-866 number will do for me (she mentioned a Mercedes for my tight connections!).

Wow...I've finally made the club I think. Then I look at the boarding card...and it says pretty clearly PREMIER 1K. She must have seen that since the ticket she gave me had notes all over it (gate, 0 bags, updated arrival time, something that looked encouraging "G 100") Anyway, I felt very special but I am virtually certain that this is a fluke.

The only thing I could possibly imagine is that someone at UA noticed that I managed to make my outbound flight on the initial leg. I literally made it from gate 67 to 100 in 7 minutes with my bags. The doors were literally closing as I practically slid down the gate escalator in SFO International terminal. Maybe this was a nice way to acknowledge my athletic prowess at such an advanced age. If so, I'll take it.

Any other possible explanation? Maybe it was some sort of targeted marketing to get me to spend another 40k PQD :-) Looking for any enlightenment!
Old Aug 31, 2014, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA GS
Where you in GF?

Originally Posted by DCEsquire
Hive mind of FlyerTalk, please enlighten me.

I'm a lowly 1k and deplane my flight from KIX to SFO. Clear customs to my shock I see a woman holding a sign with a United Logo / Global Services and my name. I have plenty of time for my connection but she greets me, walks me to Global Services domestic security screening...meets me on the other side...hands me a new printed boarding pass (mine mysteriously evaporated from my mobile app!) and takes me to the new (hidden) UA club between the old terminal and the new terminal. Checks me in to the new club and hands me her card telling me all of the things that the people on the other end of the 1-866 number will do for me (she mentioned a Mercedes for my tight connections!).

Wow...I've finally made the club I think. Then I look at the boarding card...and it says pretty clearly PREMIER 1K. She must have seen that since the ticket she gave me had notes all over it (gate, 0 bags, updated arrival time, something that looked encouraging "G 100") Anyway, I felt very special but I am virtually certain that this is a fluke.

The only thing I could possibly imagine is that someone at UA noticed that I managed to make my outbound flight on the initial leg. I literally made it from gate 67 to 100 in 7 minutes with my bags. The doors were literally closing as I practically slid down the gate escalator in SFO International terminal. Maybe this was a nice way to acknowledge my athletic prowess at such an advanced age. If so, I'll take it.

Any other possible explanation? Maybe it was some sort of targeted marketing to get me to spend another 40k PQD :-) Looking for any enlightenment!
Old Aug 31, 2014, 1:19 pm

A guess: Your company gets to hand out a few GS appointments with their contract with UA, and your name came up in the travel department.

Last edited by jpezaris; Aug 31, 2014 at 6:36 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 31, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
How sad that we speculate why OP received proper service....
Old Aug 31, 2014, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by jpezaris
A guess: Your company gets to hand out a few GS appointments with their contact with UA, and your name came up in the travel department.
This was all personal travel. I was in business first. 2 cabins these days.

Maybe I should have asked for a ride in the Benz!

So perplexed...
Old Aug 31, 2014, 1:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Have you looked at your status on-line? It could be that it takes a while for the new status to propagate though the system. Could also be that there were light GS loads that day and the GS staff started assisting 1Ks
Old Aug 31, 2014, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kenn0223
Have you looked at your status on-line? It could be that it takes a while for the new status to propagate though the system. Could also be that there were light GS loads that day and the GS staff started assisting 1Ks
Showing 1k online.

There were a couple GS on my flight back and I didn't see anyone waiting for them.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 2:02 pm
HMO

Don't complain - just enjoy
Old Aug 31, 2014, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Nice! ^

Didn't PMUA used to randomly give GS perks for a day to unsuspecting 1Ks years ago?
Old Aug 31, 2014, 3:16 pm

I called to make an award change 2 days ago, and the agent answered, "Global Service Desk, this is...". I too felt special, albeit for two minutes. If we had a lottery here, I may have gone out and bought a ticket.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 3:21 pm

This was all personal travel. I was in business first. 2 cabins these days.

Maybe I should have asked for a ride in the Benz!

So perplexed...
I so wish I could be one of you. Learn to enjoy this! ^
Old Aug 31, 2014, 3:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
Nice! ^

Didn't PMUA used to randomly give GS perks for a day to unsuspecting 1Ks years ago?
Not sure about that, but in the early 2000's they would occasionally give 1K's double upgrades, especially near holidays!
Old Aug 31, 2014, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
How sad that we speculate why OP received proper service....
Great comment!
Us lowly 1K's are not used to great service or good service- just some service.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zebranz
Great comment!
Let's qualify that to current regime 1K's. pmUA 1K's had it pretty good.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Arrow

Originally Posted by zebranz
Great comment!
Honestly, this was like a trip to different planet!. An amazing planet! Spending 50k with an airline should absolutely get you to such a place.

While it was totally unexpected (and I'm not complaining here) what would have been a huge help is getting me from SFO gate 67 to 100 on the outbound connections from SFO to KIX when I had a 8 minute window. No need to take the Benz!

At the end of the day I sorta feel like someone at UA must have noticed I made what was an otherwise impossible dash in 7 minutes and gave me a nice gesture. Someone had to be involved on the back end because the app showed they had me protected (in a not so great way).SFO-HNL-GUM-KIX. Woulda been a nightmare for me. Maybe for them too.

That's the only thing I can come up with - but I trust the collective knowledge over my own limited experience.

Last edited by DCEsquire; Aug 31, 2014 at 8:24 pm Reason: Typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.