Chances on AMS-IAH R space opening up?

Old Aug 30, 14, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K
Chances on AMS-IAH R space opening up?

Hi all,

I need to fly round trip AMS in December timeframe and I found available R space TO AMS, but none on the way back yet (coming back sometime early Dec).

What are the chances for R space opening up? What routes from AMS to the US are the best for this? AMS-IAH, AMS-EWR, etc.?

Thanks!
Old Aug 30, 14, 10:40 am

Hard to say. I see availability on 6th via IAD. Specific dates? also, if you're willing to train down to Brussels, that might provide options.
Old Aug 30, 14, 12:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); AS MVP Gold; DL DM
I often travel to BRU and train to either Paris or Amsterdam ...upgrade space to BRU seems to be more bootable.
Old Aug 30, 14, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
As mentioned above, BRU is among the easier upgrades to Europe in the system and should be considered as an option.

However, AMS is a close second. In 4 attempts so far, I have not missed an upgrade from US to AMS. I usually go through ORD or IAD as they seem to have the most R space available in my experience.

Your options from AMS back to the US are direct flights to ORD, IAH, IAD, and EWR. I have not paid enough attention to the winter schedule to know if all of these are operating as they have in past years. I have seen AMS-EWR occasionally operated by a 757-200 and that should be avoided if possible unless R is open at booking, since the number of BF seats is significantly lower. I personally also hate the layout of BF in the 3 cabin 767...others here like it.
Old Aug 31, 14, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
The PMCO 772 IAH-AMS works pretty well for me in terms of R space. I'd take the risk.
Old Aug 31, 14, 7:41 am

Programs: VS Gold, BA Gold, B6, VX, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Should be a fairly easy for a 1K to clear a waitlist at that time of year. For a little extra insurance, buy something other than a minimum fare on the way back, for example a V or Q fare. That $75-$125 can often be the difference on a waitlisted upgrade, and you would get most/all of it back on a lower-priced co-pay.

I'm about 19/20 for waitlisted international upgrades using this strategy this year.
Old Sep 12, 14, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat Amb
I have cleared several GPUs on this route in the last six weeks... no issues IAH-AMS or AMS-IAH.
Old Sep 12, 14, 3:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I cleared at booking on IAH-AMS for a flight in January. It was R9 at the time I booked. It is still R9 today.

Code:
PN9 R9 RN9 IN8 I7 XN9 X9