FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Let's play a game... How many years out-of-date is united.com? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1607114-lets-play-game-how-many-years-out-date-united-com.html)

dinoscool3 Sep 3, 2014 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy (Post 23469463)
Well, I have to say that I absolutely despised that 'feature' :rolleyes:f the old UA site. I very much prefer being able to pick and choose each and every flight individually rather than having the site pick combinations for me.

This. I had a few problems with the PMUA flight selection, and was happy they went with the CO site.

milesmuncher Sep 3, 2014 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by dmurphynj (Post 23447896)
I've always been a fan of this site since the CO days ... When the merger started and I had to use united.com, I was unimpressed. Back at the original merger time, I remember a lot of UA flyers complaining about how much they hated CO's site. Now, several years in, I read this thread, and the near-universal love for the website is fascinating. (And accurate, IMO!)

Leave the danged website alone, please!

^

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX (Post 23447911)
I disagree. I hate the type of security that BA (for example) has that logs you out every five minutes and in which agents are so strict they will only talk to the account holder. I appreciate UA's approach and they take steps when necessary - like fixing up the problem in which people were going in and canceling Air China premium award space. US is the airline that could use some additional security.

Completely agree RE: the US site. When my wife changed her name, it was quite a hassle to submit (often by fax!) documentation to get her name changed with all her programs. EXCEPT on US, where we simply logged into her account and just changed it in her profile. No substantiation necessary at all. At the time, I appreciated the ease, but I soon realized that that's a pretty glaring security flaw.

As for the PMUA setup that showed both sides of a trip on the same page for
pricing purposes - I get the appeal on some level, but practically it doesn't make a whole lot of difference to me. When I click through the return segment after selecting the outbound flight, only to find that it's only the 6am option that is available at the lowest price quote on the previous page I'm certainly annoyed, but it's not like booking a different outbound would change that.

LaserSailor Sep 3, 2014 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by davidviolin (Post 23460487)
Biggest issue I have with the website is how slow it is. Sometimes I have to wait almost a minute to return flight search results. Very time consuming if you need to do many searches. Otherwise I would say the site is (just) OK.

What dialup number are you using? Some of the older modems are 1200 baud - you need at least 28.8 for decent performance

rittenhousesq Sep 3, 2014 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10 (Post 23448791)
Oh wow I'd forgotten about that. That was as late as at least 2004, I remember calling after an upgrade had cleared. "Okay is 1A open? Alright I'll take that"

Actually, that feature continued much later than 2004 as I didn't start flying UA regularly until 2005 and I think online seat selection wasn't added until at least 2006 or 2007.

halls120 Sep 3, 2014 6:45 pm

OK, Labor Day was 2 days ago, which means summer is over. Wasn't the new website supposed to be out by now? ;)

nygiants242 Sep 3, 2014 6:46 pm

I have no problem with United's site as is now. Actually think it is pretty good.. one of the few things they are doing OK.

JBord Sep 3, 2014 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by LaserSailor (Post 23470296)
What dialup number are you using? Some of the older modems are 1200 baud - you need at least 28.8 for decent performance

So you're saying the site isn't slow for you? I've said in this thread that I think the site is just fine. But for anyone comparing it to the old UA.com or most other commercial sites there's no question it's very slow on flight searches, pulling up reservations, or even logging in. I'm old enough and patient enough to not be bothered by it, but if there's anything "not modern" about the site, this is it.

kale73 Sep 3, 2014 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Cargojon (Post 23461812)
I hope whatever cosmetic changes they would give it wouldn't bog it down in flash-heavy garbage and eliminate the functionality that I've come to count on over the years.

This + ∞

Well, I have to say that I absolutely despised that 'feature' :rolleyes:f the old UA site. I very much prefer being able to pick and choose each and every flight individually rather than having the site pick combinations for me.

The same. The only reason I ever used united.com in the interim between the merger and system integration (3/3/12) was because it sometimes offered the exact same flight as continental.com at a lower price.

halls120 Sep 3, 2014 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by JBord (Post 23470365)
But for anyone comparing it to the old UA.com or most other commercial sites there's no question it's very slow on flight searches, pulling up reservations, or even logging in. I'm old enough and patient enough to not be bothered by it, but if there's anything "not modern" about the site, this is it.

^^

T/BE20/G Sep 3, 2014 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by Boo_Radley (Post 23448462)
I don't have a lot of experience with DL.com, but I used to fly AA, and the girlfriend still does, so I have some experience there. Last week she had me check to see if her DFW-NRT flight would have the new J config. I assumed this just entailed pulling up the flight status for that flight and looking at the seat map. Nope. The AA.com flight status page doesn't even show equipment, much less a seat map. I had to make a dummy booking to see the seat map. This is just one example, but there are many more. . .

Originally Posted by bob_the_d (Post 23460951)
please, please, please i hope they do not get rid of this. recently i've been dipping my toe at DL and once in a while AA, and i never really realized how much i've changed my habits around this feature. i time my lounge/food/work around exactly knowing when the inbound is coming, rather than constantly checking to see if my outbound has changed on the departures board every few minutes. when i suddenly found myself without that feature on another airline, it was definitely noticeable. i was traveling with coworkers who only fly DL last week, and the general consensus was, "oh crap that would be super useful if i had that."

These are both features that aa.com actually does provide. You can see the seat map without a dummy booking by clicking "View Available Seats" Admittedly, this is a bit hidden under "Plan Travel", but once you know where to find it, it's there.

As for incoming flight information, you can find that by clicking "Incoming Flight Information" at the bottom of the flight status results.

drowelf Sep 3, 2014 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by raehl311 (Post 23444810)
I'm actually a little worried any makeover is going to make it harder to use, much like the recent "upgrade" of the mobile apps.

Totally agree^. I know where everything I need is on the current web site.

My biggest peeve is business that constantly change their web interface, thereby causing me to have to hunt around for functionality I access the most. I find the United site pretty easy to use. I can quickly book flights, modify reservation, check balances, etc. I don't want lots of graphics and other stuff that require me to expand my browser window just to see the information I'm interested in.

drowelf Sep 3, 2014 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 23450707)
Fisher-Price web interfaces violate this basic tenet.

Ok, I've seen this term a couple of times in this thread, what is a "Fisher-Prices web interface"? Thats a new term to me.

drowelf Sep 3, 2014 9:53 pm

Agree here, which is why I generally end up booking all my trips as multi-city, so I can check out different combinations of connections. The pairs selected by the site are not always the cheapest or best for me.

MatthewLAX Sep 3, 2014 11:52 pm

You could do that as well with multi-city search. I did like this feature on the old PMUA site.

joshwex90 Sep 4, 2014 3:10 am

I never had it pick random combinations. It would show outbound on the left and inbound on the right and I would simply choose whichever flights I wanted.

It was nice so I could choose the best flights for me based on price + timing.

Originally Posted by JBord (Post 23470365)
So you're saying the site isn't slow for you? I've said in this thread that I think the site is just fine. But for anyone comparing it to the old UA.com or most other commercial sites there's no question it's very slow on flight searches, pulling up reservations, or even logging in. I'm old enough and patient enough to not be bothered by it, but if there's anything "not modern" about the site, this is it.

On flight searches, I find it no slower than BA.com, which is my second-most flown airline.