Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Let's play a game... How many years out-of-date is united.com?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let's play a game... How many years out-of-date is united.com?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2014, 4:28 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by drowelf
Ok, I've seen this term a couple of times in this thread, what is a "Fisher-Prices web interface"? Thats a new term to me.
Children's toys. A well placed barb attack on a web interface being unsophisticated.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 4:31 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by JBord
So you're saying the site isn't slow for you? I've said in this thread that I think the site is just fine. But for anyone comparing it to the old UA.com or most other commercial sites there's no question it's very slow on flight searches, pulling up reservations, or even logging in. I'm old enough and patient enough to not be bothered by it, but if there's anything "not modern" about the site, this is it.
I think it is comparable in speed to hotel, rental car, and other airline bookings I do. I can't remember what the old site was like, maybe I forgot my meds this morning.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JBord
So you're saying the site isn't slow for you? I've said in this thread that I think the site is just fine. But for anyone comparing it to the old UA.com or most other commercial sites there's no question it's very slow on flight searches, pulling up reservations, or even logging in. I'm old enough and patient enough to not be bothered by it, but if there's anything "not modern" about the site, this is it.
I don't find it particularly slow except when my connection is slow (which is most of the time since I live in the Internet boondocks). ITA Matrix searches time out for me far more frequently than searches on united.com.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Edit: for a neat throwback, telnet to rainmaker.wunderground.com
Wow, SO FAST, and SO MUCH INFORMATION without any distracting crud whatsoever.

I much prefer functionality (and lack of advertisements) over eye-candy. While the current ua.com web site could have some polishing (like needing to reload a page for switching from R/T to O/W to multi-city searches), it's largely effective.

UA Insider, I hope you will relay the consensus about functionality that seems to have emerged back to the higher-ups.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 11:25 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by halls120
OK, Labor Day was 2 days ago, which means summer is over. Wasn't the new website supposed to be out by now?
Yes, Labor Day has passed but no one ever said Labor Day of what year
Old Sep 4, 2014, 11:29 am

Programs: UA 1K
I actually dont have a problem with the site. Maybe it is because I have gotten used to it but works for what I want to check and how results are viewed.

My 2 cents
Old Sep 4, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: DL BA Amex
Originally Posted by kale73
ITA Matrix searches time out for me far more frequently than searches on united.com.
ITA has been a real pain lately... whats the problem there? Are they just getting more hits than they can handle?

Originally Posted by jpezaris
Wow, SO FAST, and SO MUCH INFORMATION without any distracting crud whatsoever.

I much prefer functionality (and lack of advertisements) over eye-candy.
I detest the third-party ads. Just counted there are currently SIX advertisers on the UA home page... and several more of there own ads. By now I am used to the layout -- I know where everything that I need is located and can navigate it easily, so the ads aren't too much of a distraction.

Looking at DL site, they have NO third-party ads.

Last edited by bajrbajr; Sep 4, 2014 at 11:45 am
Old Sep 4, 2014, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by bajrbajr
ITA has been a real pain lately... whats the problem there? Are they just getting more hits than they can handle?

I detest the third-party ads. Just counted there are currently SIX advertisers on the UA home page... and several more of there own ads. By now I am used to the layout -- I know where everything that I need is located and can navigate it easily, so the ads aren't too much of a distraction.

Looking at DL site, they have NO third-party ads.
I've never seen any of these, as I run ....... Plus under Chrome, and you right, it shows a little 6 as the number blocked.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 1:25 pm

Programs: DL BA Amex
Originally Posted by drowelf
I've never seen any of these, as I run ....... Plus under Chrome, and you right, it shows a little 6 as the number blocked.
I'm not referring to pop-up ads... these are imbedded ads... for Wyndham Rewards, Cruises, Allstate, etc
Old Sep 4, 2014, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by bajrbajr
I'm not referring to pop-up ads... these are imbedded ads... for Wyndham Rewards, Cruises, Allstate, etc
....... Plus takes care of embedded ads too. @:-)
Old Sep 4, 2014, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

+1 to ........ Blocking the ads also makes the site much faster.

And Labor day is just an unofficial end of summer, Doesn't really end until Sept 20/21. Which end of summer did UA say?
Old Sep 21, 2014, 7:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Baze
+1 to ........ Blocking the ads also makes the site much faster.

And Labor day is just an unofficial end of summer, Doesn't really end until Sept 20/21. Which end of summer did UA say?
Tomorrow is the last day of summer. Fall begins on Tuesday. Anyone think we're going to see the roll-out tomorrow?
Old Sep 21, 2014, 7:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
A previous employee recently posted in their review on Glassdoor.com that the website was circa 2002. And it appeared they worked pretty close to it.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Just noticed this thread - but here I will defend UA. I think UA has the best website out there and many I know agree.

While I mostly fly AA now - AA is the worst - continually full of bugs and doesn't work with the latest versions of IE. You constantly have to keep logging in on AA over and over and many times some webpages give an error message. The big pictures on AA are a waste.

DL website is also full of bugs. Fresh to me implies full of bugs.

UNITED - you have the best site out there (most stable) - don't change it!

The current UA site is the last CO website which was introduced around 2007-2008. It had lots of bugs when first introduced but it is now the best airline bug free site out there.

Last edited by cova; Sep 21, 2014 at 7:45 pm
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by cova
Just noticed this thread - but here I will defend UA. I think UA has the best website out there and many I know agree.

While I mostly fly AA now - AA is the worst - continually full of bugs and doesn't work with the latest versions of IE. You constantly have to keep logging in on AA over and over and many times some webpages give an error message. The big pictures on AA are a waste.

DL website is also full of bugs. Fresh to me implies full of bugs.

UNITED - you have the best site out there (most stable) - don't change it!

The current UA site is the last CO website which was introduced around 2007-2008. It had lots of bugs when first introduced but it is now the best airline bug free site out there.
To be fair to AA (even though I hate their site, almost as much as I hate DL's) - who uses IE?!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.