Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Let's play a game... How many years out-of-date is united.com?

Let's play a game... How many years out-of-date is united.com?

Old Aug 29, 14, 11:01 pm

Modern web design often assumes the user has high speed Internet and lots of browser features.

I will take a fast loading 90's approach* over a 2014 load and run 67 scripts just to say hello any time.

*Just leave the animated .gif's back in the last century.

Last edited by NJFlyer42; Aug 29, 14 at 11:02 pm Reason: Punctuation error. Probably not the last.
Old Aug 29, 14, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
You can have a fast, functional website that is also easy on the eyes and at least somewhat in the 21st century for look and feel. @:-)

Amazon is an example that comes immediately to mind.
Old Aug 29, 14, 11:15 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL
Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
There are a lot of things about United I don't like but the website is not one of them. I have few, if any, complaints about it and it's superior to the old UAL.com in my opinion.
Agreed. And it's also superior to AA's current site.
Old Aug 30, 14, 12:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat, IHG Plat
The website is probably one of the better things at United. Very functional, simple to use, loads fast, can access most things from the front page. I don't want them to change it!!!
Old Aug 30, 14, 12:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
KISS Works Best.

Originally Posted by Quimbydog View Post
I mean seriously...

As a web designer myself, I'm going to say that 2000 called and wants it's interface back.

The UA site is functional, simple and logical.
Please don't "improve" it.

Constantly "improving" software is not always a good thing.
I mistakenly downloaded the Mavericks OS for my MAC and it is/was truly horrible compared with Mountain Lion, at least for my Marketing-oriented purposes. I had to remove it from my laptops and go back to Mountain Lion.

If something works well, why is change good or necessary?

Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
You can have a fast, functional website that is also easy on the eyes and at least somewhat in the 21st century for look and feel. @:-)

I, for one, despise the Amazon site.

Last edited by zombietooth; Aug 30, 14 at 12:42 am
Old Aug 30, 14, 1:00 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.8MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, MR LT Plat, Hertz PC, TR Diam
There are a lot of things about United I don't like but the website is not one of them. I have few, if any, complaints about it and it's superior to the old UAL.com in my opinion.
Agree with this.

Also, I will take United's "Continental" website any day of the week over Delta any day of the week. Delta's interface looks like a flashy glitzy modern webpage but when one actually navigates the page, it ends up clunky and very un-user friendly
Old Aug 30, 14, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
The website is far superior to Delta's and AA's (and most airlines of the world, in fact, perhaps ALL airlines of the word).

Don't touch it UA. Leave well-enough alone.
Old Aug 30, 14, 5:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I have few, if any, complaints about it and it's superior to the old UAL.com in my opinion.
In most aspects the current website is superior to .bomb. One aspect where it isn't is the ridiculous select your outbound flight on one page and return flight on another page is cumbersome and inefficient. .bomb's listing of flight on one page and the ability to quickly see how different flight combinations affected the fare was far superior to the current site.

Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post

^^
Old Aug 30, 14, 8:09 am
Used to be 'TheManWhoFlewTooMuch'

Programs: United 1K 2MM, Delta Diamond emeritus, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
One thing that should be changed about the site is the 1990s-era security. Protecting your account with only a 4-digit PIN is really no protection at all.

I can tolerate the antiquated user interface, but the gaping security hole should be changed with urgency.
Old Aug 30, 14, 8:09 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
I've always been a fan of this site since the CO days ... When the merger started and I had to use united.com, I was unimpressed. Back at the original merger time, I remember a lot of UA flyers complaining about how much they hated CO's site. Now, several years in, I read this thread, and the near-universal love for the website is fascinating. (And accurate, IMO!)

The features and functions of the current site are definitely better than any other site - AA, Delta, JetBlue, etc.

It is 'old world' design but that's a positive if you ask me. It's simple, easy to navigate, and presents more information than anyone else.

I don't know of any other airline that lets you see where your plane is coming from. Or even shows you the ship #. Or that lets you see the seat map right up through boarding. Or the upgrade and standby lists.

All of those are features I've come to rely on, and on the very rare occasion I'm on someone else's plane (usually because I got OAL'd) -- I realize how lucky we are.

Leave the danged website alone, please!
Old Aug 30, 14, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Pointlessly_1K View Post
One thing that should be changed about the site is the 1990s-era security. Protecting your account with only a 4-digit PIN is really no protection at all.

I can tolerate the antiquated user interface, but the gaping security hole should be changed with urgency.
I disagree. I hate the type of security that BA (for example) has that logs you out every five minutes and in which agents are so strict they will only talk to the account holder. I appreciate UA's approach and they take steps when necessary - like fixing up the problem in which people were going in and canceling Air China premium award space. US is the airline that could use some additional security.
Old Aug 30, 14, 8:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, OZ
Originally Posted by Pointlessly_1K View Post

I thought a password was used to access your account online. You can choose to keep you pin, but the site will pester you every time you log in the create a password.

Last edited by dinoscool3; Aug 30, 14 at 8:36 am
Old Aug 30, 14, 8:17 am
Used to be 'TheManWhoFlewTooMuch'

Programs: United 1K 2MM, Delta Diamond emeritus, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by dinoscool3 View Post
I thought a password was used to access your account online. You can choose to keep you pin, but the site will pester you every time you long in the create a password.
Even after you create a password, you can still use your old PIN to log in.
Old Aug 30, 14, 8:31 am

I'm fascinated by most of the replies on this subject. To me it seems that most people would be happy to go back to a text only interface. If "glitz" isn't important, why have any graphics at all? Just imagine how fast the website would be if the seat map was displayed in ASCII art instead of bandwidth hogging image files! I would actually be okay with this too, I hate the mouse and would do everything with the command line if I could.

That said, I am in the camp looking forward to a refresh. I drove my last vehicle for 12 years because it worked and got the job done. You still need something new from time to time. However I'll also be first in line to complain and eat my words if the redesign removes any of the functionality I enjoy. Which is really just the SDC functionality. After flying DL for so many years it is a treat to SDC with UA. The fact that it still works fine in the mobile app after they updated that makes me feel okay about the website.
Old Aug 30, 14, 8:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jacobac00 View Post
If "glitz" isn't important, why have any graphics at all? Just imagine how fast the website would be if the seat map was displayed in ASCII art instead of bandwidth hogging image files!
Because a proper UI makes things easier to understand and find on the site. It is when a developer goes too far beyond putting a basic UI on the site into all the other "glitz" where things start to fail.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: