New UA BF seat research

Old Aug 27, 2014, 3:54 pm

Programs: BA/AA/UA
Originally Posted by FTstudent
Please do us tall guys justice. My hopes and prayers are with you. (height 6'3", shoe 12"). Aisle access and personal space/storage.
Never gonna happen. In order to accommodate taller people, the airlines would have to waste a ton of space on smaller people. Never gonna happen. In an alternate universe one day, perhaps adjustment would be made according to height. Until then, though, you're going to have to pay the height tax (business or first-class travel) each and every time you fly.

You’re one of our most valued customers
Well that explains why *I* wasn't invited!
Old Aug 27, 2014, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Avis First
Aisle access and personal space/storage.
^^^

It burns me that UA tries to command premium prices when their premium product is subpar to the competition. I've started to book more ANA, Singapore and even Air Canada business class seats if the prices are similar to UA. Would be nice to start ahead with a refresh of BF rather than always playing catch-up.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA lt Gld - 1.7MM; UA GS; Marriott LT Plt; Thalys Gold
Originally Posted by Madone59
Great opportunity OP - enjoy! ^

I am sure you will have to sign all sorts of NDA's and be forbid you from taking pictures but I bet we would all like to to hear your thoughts....even if they are cryptic.
Indeed, in the confirmation: "... Due to the proprietary nature of this exclusive event, you will be required to sign a non-disclosure agreement and media release form. Additionally, we will be checking cell phones and cameras at the door. ..."
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Aisle access and personal space/storage.
And cushions as comfortable as those on PMUA aircraft. Right now I'm on an extended CX trip and while I love almost everything about the seats, I find that the cushions are too hard.

And if they could somehow have some backward facing seats, that would be nice, too.

I know, first world problems.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
And pray it doesn't mean 10 across on 777s in Economy and Economy Plus like AA.
AA is 9 across in their Main Cabin Extra (E+ equivalent) seats on the 777 :-:
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by China Clipper
Never gonna happen. In order to accommodate taller people, the airlines would have to waste a ton of space on smaller people. Never gonna happen. In an alternate universe one day, perhaps adjustment would be made according to height. Until then, though, you're going to have to pay the height tax (business or first-class travel) each and every time you fly.
The bed on TK biz (also found on the LOT 787, CA A330, etc.) is 78" - aka 6'6''. It is nice and looooooong.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Please do us tall guys justice. My hopes and prayers are with you. (height 6'3", shoe 12"). Aisle access and personal space/storage.
This! (says the 6'6", size 15 guy )

Originally Posted by Buckdany
Indeed, in the confirmation: "... Due to the proprietary nature of this exclusive event, you will be required to sign a non-disclosure agreement and media release form. Additionally, we will be checking cell phones and cameras at the door. ..."
Google Glass?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:40 pm

Hopefully UA will catch up to the competition and go 1-2-1 in BF with all-aisle access.
IMHO 1-2-1 is the way to go...
Also I'd be curious to know how long of a time frame UA is thinking from this event till the new seats get actually installed.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
Originally Posted by agjil
Hopefully UA will catch up to the competition and go 1-2-1 in BF with all-aisle access.
IMHO 1-2-1 is the way to go...
Also I'd be curious to know how long of a time frame UA is thinking from this event till the new seats get actually installed.
yeah, i'm a fan of 1-2-1 as well. i do appreciate the 2-2-2 when i'm flying with friends and family so we can sit together. but it's a pain when i'm flying solo. 1-2-1 would solve that.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 5:23 pm

Due to the timing of this event relative to the A359 and 787 deliveries, I'd assume they have a tentative seat they've already settled on, meaning this event would be used to guage details like which cushion and options would be be necessary. They also invited flyers to "sample" the Airbus slimline seats, after they had ordered them.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 5:57 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Will there be FAs in the galley chatting loudly to fully simulate the flight experience?

But seriously, glad UA is looking at other seating products.
I thought that was serious

AA's "Economy Plus," is still 3-3-3 IIRC.

Originally Posted by China Clipper
Well that explains why *I* wasn't invited!
+1
Old Aug 27, 2014, 6:23 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
UA has every incentive to provide a biz class seat that blows Delta's mixed bag out of the water. And may well leapfrog the AA / CX seat.

Too much inefficient Global First in the fleet now a better biz product is the cover for a reduction in Global First seating via elimination on many or all planes. AA is rightsizing it to just a few routes. We're 3 years away from the 10th anniversary of the first PMUA installs.

Unfortunately like AA and DL it probably means higher Y to J ratios.

But it would also be cover to improve soft product in 2 cabin biz.
I don't know who you are kidding, this management team is not interested in leading product, hard or soft. Check out the new Y seats, check out the no-IFE or power, check out the worst Domestic F soft product (by a lot), check out bad international soft product, especially booze. Fly GF, get fresh-brew coffee. Need I say more.

Their target market is corporate accounts that want the cheapest price (and get a 40% or more discount) and suckers who don't know better than not to book United.

I assume they have already picked something for the A350, and this (like with the Airbus seats that were so bad) they are just showing it off to make them all feel how smart they are, perhaps looking at one or two slight configuration changes.

Originally Posted by monserco1
^^^

It burns me that UA tries to command premium prices when their premium product is subpar to the competition. I've started to book more ANA, Singapore and even Air Canada business class seats if the prices are similar to UA. Would be nice to start ahead with a refresh of BF rather than always playing catch-up.
Well that is their stratagy, afterall everyone just buys on (1) route and (2) price. Nothing else matters we are always told.

speaking of which, did anyone notice this, piece saying the seat comfort is the biggest consumer issue: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/b...mbers/?hpid=z4
Old Aug 27, 2014, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Kacee
Through back channels, I've been able to procure an advance copy of the feedback form:

How do you rate our new BF Seat:

__ Amazing!

__ The Best Ever!

__ Wow, I Love It!

__ Better than AA and DL Combined!
Originally Posted by Kacee
Responses are delayed due to "weather in our network."
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
After starting out as "Customer Service" and then next "Crew Availability"...
^^
Old Aug 27, 2014, 7:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Subscribed! Can't wait to see what people experience.. In my small brain I think I did not get selected as UA knew I was traveling that day
Old Aug 28, 2014, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA lt Gld - 1.7MM; UA GS; Marriott LT Plt; Thalys Gold
Went to the event today. UA showed us several BF seat mockups at various stages of advancement.

I thought one stood out (as in stood out compared to the other seats presented or in operation today and not stood out compared to what is offered by global competitors).

IMHO, with any of these seats, they will just be playing catch-up, no strategic leap. But this may be what UA needs at this point.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.